Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mamo ported 102 vs Veng. Racing ported 102?

Old 01-17-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mamo ported 102 vs Veng. Racing ported 102?

Alright fellas, my motor is getting closer to being finished by LME , my question is should i go with a Tony Mamo ported Fast 102, or save a little money and get a Vengence racing , i know the Vengence porting is good to go , just trying to justifiy the extra money for a Mamofied Fast, throw up your opionions.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Does Mamo do anything different for the extra $$? What does he charge like $500 to port it...that's a lot of cash. I have a FAST 92 ported by Vengence and all they did was grind down the bumps on each port. I went through and shaved off all the extra casting marks and sanded them down nice and smooth. I was surprised to see how many there were, probably spend 4 hrs or so doing it.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:14 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1nastyss
Alright fellas, my motor is getting closer to being finished by LME , my question is should i go with a Tony Mamo ported Fast 102, or save a little money and get a Vengence racing , i know the Vengence porting is good to go , just trying to justifiy the extra money for a Mamofied Fast, throw up your opionions.
Hmm, that is a good question? I think I would put my money on Tonys stuff. Tony has probably spent more time on a Flowbench and a Dyno(100s of hrs I would guess)trying to tweak and change that intake runner port design around more to were it suits him and is right/correct for the given application.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Launching!

I know people swear by Tony's work but I have a hard time paying to port a manifold to gain 5-10whp and paying anything more than like 250 plus shipping. Hell that's already 1/4 of the manifold. If you didn't have one at all I would buy a already ported one off him if he did that.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

Default I am sorry to butt in

I in no way mean to come off as a *** ! 5 -10 ? Umm there was alot more power under the curve made than that ! The correct setup with a ported mamo fast can see well over 30 rwhp ! There are several test thread with dyno charts to prove this on here ! Patrick G did a awsome job on the g8 fast vrs ported ls3 proving most wrong on there " no horsepower to be had post"
But if you are chasing peak # i see your point ! But how often or long does your car set at that peak # or rpm for that matter!
Please i dont mean to come off as *** so dont take it that way! Tony mamo and his efforts and knowledge on this fast 102 intake alone .... It for a better word awsome ! Most people take for granted what they read and assume things ! So please by all means give tony a call tell him your setup explain your goal !
Old 01-18-2012, 02:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jrp1978
I in no way mean to come off as a *** ! 5 -10 ? Umm there was alot more power under the curve made than that ! The correct setup with a ported mamo fast can see well over 30 rwhp ! There are several test thread with dyno charts to prove this on here ! Patrick G did a awsome job on the g8 fast vrs ported ls3 proving most wrong on there " no horsepower to be had post"
But if you are chasing peak # i see your point ! But how often or long does your car set at that peak # or rpm for that matter!
Please i dont mean to come off as *** so dont take it that way! Tony mamo and his efforts and knowledge on this fast 102 intake alone .... It for a better word awsome ! Most people take for granted what they read and assume things ! So please by all means give tony a call tell him your setup explain your goal !
30whp over a stock ported or ls3 but I already have a FAST 102 manifold and Tony is not getting 30 additional whp out of a FAST manifold thus the 5-10whp. I know my goals and how to reach them and a ported LSXR intake is not needed it will never hurt and for the guy that's trying to milk every last hp out its a good deal but for the average guy that already owns a FAST manifold its a stretch.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks fellers, im probably gonna go with Tony, i know his work is top-notch
Old 01-19-2012, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember some guy mention that Tony Momo Ported job is all about squeezing all the HP you can get,while Vengeance Racing have nice ported job for the money.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-intake-2.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-102-fast.html
Old 01-19-2012, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

I know this is a Mamo vs Vengance thread but have you inquired with Brian Tooley he also does amazing work, along with the fact that he did or does work for one of them big boy cylinder head companies.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

i've had two Mamofied FASTs...they're worth the premium. Tony has it down to a science and i honestly think he could port a FAST blindfolded better than some people out there. i can't speak for Vengeance, other than i've had good experiences buying parts from them, but i know you wouldn't be disappointed with one of Tony's intakes.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Reading the link above I'd save the money and go with Vengance since they claim only a 1-2rwhp difference between the two.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look fellas all ANYBODY can do is port the base of the runners in an attempt to match your heads. That's ALL you can really port. There's really not much you can do to the 102's. With the help of Chris1313 we took mines apart and set the lower on the head and mocked it up as it would be installed then we mark the areas so it can be matched to the heads with his dremmel then put the runners on the lower and match them to the lower. You'll see what I mean when you take it apart. It took about 1.5 hours, really easy. If someone says the ported the inside and opened the runners thru out the are blowing smoke up your azz. Sorry but I work too hard to spend 500 extra dollars for basic work. I'll bet you if you buy both and look inside that they will be the same. Sorry bud but save your money and do it yourself with a friend have some fun and save it for beer money if your installing it your self. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

They don't even compare. I've personally seen both and the vengeance looks like someone took a sanding roll for 5 minutes to the runners. Sommer86 measured the ported difference and Vengeance took .001 of an inch out of the runners. Mamo takes a giant pile of plastic out, he posted a pic of it. Is go with him all day
Old 01-25-2012, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Are the units in hand DBW??? OR NOT
Old 01-26-2012, 10:13 AM
FormerVendor

I typically dont like to get involved in direct comparisons between vendors, but I would like to make a comment...

Please consider two things when deciding where to purchase your intake manifold..

*Pricing- Our pricing is appropriate for the amount of work/time spent on our manifolds. After extensive testing we saw NO ADDITIONAL GAINS from any further porting thus no reason to charge a "premium"

*Performance- "looks" aside has anyone actually installed a stock 102mm intake/installed a VR Ported 102/Installed a Mamo ported 102 for a TRUE direct A/B comparison???

If anyone would like to pay an additional $500.00 we would be more than happy to "port" your intake manifold top to bottom and inside to out and make it look like a work of art... At the end of the day you would still make the same power our current work does.

FWIW, this is not a dig on Tony AT ALL.. We all know Tony knows his stuff and has a very solid reputation in the industry. As I said it was OUR experience that the additional port work yielded no additional power gains....
Old 01-26-2012, 12:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance

*Performance- "looks" aside has anyone actually installed a stock 102mm intake/installed a VR Ported 102/Installed a Mamo ported 102 for a TRUE direct A/B comparison???
I'm curious if you have done an A to B dyno comparison on an unported FAST and your ported offering? I may have missed it if it was posted but I would be interested in the results if you have any. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Thanks fellers, im probably gonna go with Tony, i know his work is top-notch
I would
Old 01-26-2012, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Someone needs to send their vengeance ported and someone else their Mamo ported intake to a 3rd party that is willing to dyno them.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

It would be nice, i just placed the order with Tony
Old 01-26-2012, 02:53 PM
TECH Junkie

It would be nice, i just placed the order with Tony
Find someone who is willing to ship their vengeance ported intake to a third party or maybe vengeance will prove their point and send one of theirs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mamo ported 102 vs Veng. Racing ported 102?