Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 Runs On

Old 05-04-2012, 02:29 AM
Teching In

Location: Previously Michigan (90's) Florida (2000's) and Currently Somerset, England.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 Runs On

I recently got my LS2 Crate fired up for the first time. I have plumbed the steam line into the top hose because I am running a Speed Demon carb on an Edelbrock intake and an MSD ignition box. If I run the engine for a while, then shut the car off, it tries to run on for a bit. Very diesel sounding. Just for a couple of seconds, but enough to sound worrying. I am concerned that the top of the engine isn't cooling properly. Any suggestions or previous similar experience would help.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:39 AM
Teching In

Location: Previously Michigan (90's) Florida (2000's) and Currently Somerset, England.

Here is a shot of the engine.
Attached Thumbnails LS2 Runs On-corvette-engine-march-2012-017.jpg  
Old 05-04-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice ride! That's an acceptable routing for the steam vent. What octane fuel can you get over there? I'd be looking at that and timing...
Old 05-04-2012, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats the idle at? If i let mine (carb ls2 also) idle at 1k it will run on for a second. If i knock it down to even 900 it wont. With the cam i have it wants to be up there though so i usually throw the fan or blower motor on right before i kill it and it shuts right off
Old 05-04-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea dads with a carb on it did that last year tried a bunch of stuff best thing I found was to kick the AC on when pulling in somewhere and then shut it off.

With EFI it dosn't do it.

Tim
Old 05-05-2012, 05:49 AM
Teching In

I have run the engine a couple more times. I have the idle screw on the Speed Demon backed right out and I cannot get below 1100 rpm. I find that if I blip the throttle and shut the ignition off before the engine gets back to idle, it doesn't do it.

There is no A/C on this car. It is not worth it for the 2 weeks of summer we get in this country, and we already had them in March.

When I finally get it on the road, I will experiment with fuel quality.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alienlefty
I have run the engine a couple more times. I have the idle screw on the Speed Demon backed right out and I cannot get below 1100 rpm. I find that if I blip the throttle and shut the ignition off before the engine gets back to idle, it doesn't do it.

There is no A/C on this car. It is not worth it for the 2 weeks of summer we get in this country, and we already had them in March.

When I finally get it on the road, I will experiment with fuel quality.
Tuning issues for sure. Don't those carbs have a secondary air bleed under the air cleaner stud? If so, it's open too much. You really need to get the primary throttle blades more on the closed side, as you're pulling fuel from the main jets instead of the idle transfer slots.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
You really need to get the primary throttle blades more on the closed side, as you're pulling fuel from the main jets instead of the idle transfer slots.
Demon tuning guide says to adjust the throttle blades so the idle transfer slots on both primaries and secondaries appear as a "square" below the blades. How far off are you from this baseline?

Do you have a PCV valve somewhere? I see you have a fresh air hose going to nowhere on the driver's valvecover and I'm guessing you're pulling PCV from the valley cover back to the carb. If you don't have a PCV valve between the carb and the valley cover (or built into the valley cover), it will act like a vacuum leak. Try pinching off the PCV line going to the carb and see if your idle comes down.

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 05-07-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try this stuff out and report back. I read somewhere that there is a pcv valve under the valve cover on these engines???
Old 05-08-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Did a little searching and it looks like it may be integrated into the valley cover.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cv-system.html

High idle speed indicates a potential vacuum leak to me, which is why I suggested looking a the PCV system, but you should check all the vacuum connections on the carb & intake.

Sorry I didn't mention it before, but it looks like a very well done swap. Very clean install. do you have any shots of the whole car?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Any luck figuring this out?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS2 Runs On