Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gen 4 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 11:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default gen 4 5.3

Hi guys, just picked up a 06 envoy denali with the Gen 4 5.3 I believe its called the LH6? Just looking for some basic info from people who have had something with this engine. Any known issues to watch out for, any certain little mods they really like? Can't find a forum worth a sh*t for the truck so figured I'd try here. Thanks
Old 05-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Teching In

I just picked up an LH6 as well and would like to get some more information on it too. I would assume for the most part it should respond like any other 5.3 to modifications with the underlying concern that if you intend to bore it you may be restricted by the sleeve thickness. Some seem to think its okay to bore it out to 3.905 and some say that may be pushing the limit. I would think besides the additional cubes the benefit of this would be more aftermarket piston options because of the LS1.

Sean

Last edited by birdman891; 05-11-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by birdman891
I just picked up an LH6 as well and would like to get some more information on it too. I would assume for the most part it should respond like any other 5.3 to modifications with the underlying concern that if you intend to bore it you may be restricted by the sleeve thickness. Some seem to think its okay to bore it out to 3.905 and some say that may be pushing the limit. I would think besides the additional cubes the benefit of this would be more aftermarket piston options because of the LS1.

Sean
Hey man what did you get with the lh6? Some decent info over at trailvoy.com but I think the site is kinda dead now, hell I can't even get the regiseratin confirmation emailed to me. Seems people have lifter problems with them I would like more info on why and how to avoid that. Dod delte seems common but personally that was one reason I bought it as my dd, I like the 19 mpg average I get on an suv with an ls motor. Personally loking to just do some bolt ons if ill respond like an ls1 or 2 does. Probably start wth cai and exhaust. Also wondering though....with dod active and running on 4 cylinders will it sound like a rice burner on the highway? Can't seem to find an answer. I did a googl search and did find info here though idk why it dint show up on my initial search here...here's link-

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-lh6-info.html
Old 05-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Teching In

My motor was complete from pan to intake but no TB, harness, ecu front accessories or coils. In my case I think Im going to do the DOD delete and not worry too much about it as the increase is only 5 or 6% in fuel mileage, I believe. I was considering running the normal non-dod 5.3 harness and ecu on it but for the price of the parts and then HPTuners to be able to tune it, I am leaning more towards going MegaSquirt, especially now that they offer sequential fuel injection.

I think that my 5.3 with 799 heads, a z06 cam, lifters and pushrods, headers and P&P TB it should put out some fairly decent power. I have read the lifters in the DOD have issues on the AFM cylinders because they are hydraulic?? or something along those lines to keep the valves closed. If thats the case I guess you would be able to replace them with normal ls lifters but then you may sacrifice the AFM/DOD that you wanted to keep.

Sean

Quick Reply: gen 4 5.3