Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DEI wrap AND ceramic coating

Old 06-21-2012, 07:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DEI wrap AND ceramic coating

I have a set of JBA LT's that are already ceramic coated and the car is getting built at the moment and I found 2 old rolls of header wrap I had from a few years back and got to thinking... Obviously there are benefits to coating or wrapping headers. But I have never seen one compliment the other. So out of curiosity what do you guys think? Should I give it a shot since the headers are off the car and the wrap is technically free lol? And before someone chimes in with "header wrap looks like ****", save it because that's not what I'm asking. I want to know if anyone believes that doing both will lower IAT's/underhood temps further than just ceramic coating does.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Default RE: Wrapping Ceramic Coated Headers

Originally Posted by Codevo
I have a set of JBA LT's that are already ceramic coated and the car is getting built at the moment and I found 2 old rolls of header wrap I had from a few years back and got to thinking... Obviously there are benefits to coating or wrapping headers. But I have never seen one compliment the other. So out of curiosity what do you guys think? Should I give it a shot since the headers are off the car and the wrap is technically free lol? And before someone chimes in with "header wrap looks like ****", save it because that's not what I'm asking. I want to know if anyone believes that doing both will lower IAT's/underhood temps further than just ceramic coating does.
You're absolutely correct Codevo, so long as you're unconcerned with appearance, wrapping Ceramic Coated headers will just increase they’re thermal efficiency. It’s the best of both worlds. We get some customers that do that, usually they plan on wrapping but want to protect the header as well from corrosion.

You should be warned though, if you are using Bright Ceramic Coated headers, wrapping them will generally overheat the coating. This will result in the bright being dulled. The coating is still functional; it just won’t ever be “Bright” again. When we know a customer is going to wrap we typically do them in one of the high temp satin colors below. They can be run close to 2000F and not be harmed. Also, you can see a header that was run to lean which shows what will happen to the header after being wrapped.

New Ceramic Coating

Overheated Ceramic Coating

High Temp Ceramic Coating Options
Old 06-21-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Chances are good that it will lower the temps, but if you drive the car in the rain, it will also cause the headers to rust out. If you wrap them, just make sure it can't ever get wet.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Chances are good that it will lower the temps, but if you drive the car in the rain, it will also cause the headers to rust out. If you wrap them, just make sure it can't ever get wet.
That's the beauty of it, the performance coating will keep the headers from rusting because of the wrap.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 409CISecondGen
That's the beauty of it, the performance coating will keep the headers from rusting because of the wrap.

Again, it depends on the type of Ceramic Coating. As the Bright overheats the pores open and it begins to rust. It's still going to hold up much longer than non coated so it's probably not an issue. Also, if they are SS it's a non issue as well.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CCPcoatingscom
Again, it depends on the type of Ceramic Coating. As the Bright overheats the pores open and it begins to rust. It's still going to hold up much longer than non coated so it's probably not an issue. Also, if they are SS it's a non issue as well.
Say you went with a flat 2500* coating. You could get away with mild steel and header wrap for more than a few years right?

Reason I ask is my buddy who wants to do a rear mount and was planning on wrapping and ceramic coating the whole hotside.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 409CISecondGen
Say you went with a flat 2500* coating. You could get away with mild steel and header wrap for more than a few years right?

Reason I ask is my buddy who wants to do a rear mount and was planning on wrapping and ceramic coating the whole hotside.
I don't know who makes a 2500f material, but yes. Mild will work fine with any of the other Ceramic Coatings.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

I don't know who makes a 2500f material, but yes. Mild will work fine with any of the other Ceramic Coatings.
Supposedly Jet Hot, You do pay alot for the name. I nearly died when I was quoted to coat my headers by them. I can get 2000* locally (only in gold) however. Thanks for the input btw

http://www.jet-hot.com/coatings/jet-hot-extreme-2500/
Old 06-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Teching In

@CCPCoatings thank you for your sharing your expertise on this subject I feel much more confident in making a decision now armed with your words of wisdom. If I didn't already have my header situation handled I would have loved to do business with you, it seems to me that your very professional with your knowledge on the subject and forthcoming as well. Thanks again!!!
Old 06-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Default RE: Wrapping Ceramic Coated Headers

Originally Posted by Codevo
@CCPCoatings thank you for your sharing your expertise on this subject I feel much more confident in making a decision now armed with your words of wisdom. If I didn't already have my header situation handled I would have loved to do business with you, it seems to me that your very professional with your knowledge on the subject and forthcoming as well. Thanks again!!!
No problem. If you have any other Ceramic Coating or Powder Coating questions or concerns let us know. We'll help you sort thru the BS.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem. If you have any other Ceramic Coating or Powder Coating questions or concerns let us know. We'll help you sort thru the BS.
Where are you all located? My headers are a decade old, and the ceramic coating is 90% gone. May be time for new headers, or at least a recoat.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:57 PM

Default Looking for confirmation

You're absolutely correct Codevo, so long as you're unconcerned with appearance, wrapping Ceramic Coated headers will just increase they’re thermal efficiency. It’s the best of both worlds. We get some customers that do that, usually they plan on wrapping but want to protect the header as well from corrosion.

You should be warned though, if you are using Bright Ceramic Coated headers, wrapping them will generally overheat the coating. This will result in the bright being dulled. The coating is still functional; it just won’t ever be “Bright” again. When we know a customer is going to wrap we typically do them in one of the high temp satin colors below. They can be run close to 2000F and not be harmed. Also, you can see a header that was run to lean which shows what will happen to the header after being wrapped.

New Ceramic Coating

Overheated Ceramic Coating

High Temp Ceramic Coating Options
hi. I see this is an old post but can’t seem to get a straight answer so I find myself here from an online search for answers. I have a 08 Jeep Wrangler (I realize this forum is for Camaros and Firebirds lol but my question is about the headers and DEi wraps) I have Gipson stainless steel, silver ceramic coated headers and bought DEi titanium wrap and spark plug boots. In the instruction pamphlet that came with my headers there is a warning that use of any wrapping would void the warranty because “ installation of any type of “wrapping” material onto the headers will destroy the heat dissipation properties of the tubing, causing premature deterioration of the metal and subsequent failure” (exactly what it says). However I read an article written by heatshield products about the myths and misconceptions about wraps, long story short, saying that only cheap thin metals will be damaged. So then I was concerned that I went with the wrong company for my headers as these were not cheap. I contacted the company who posted the article and they advised me to ask DEi since it was their product I have. DEi customer service asked their product manager about my concern and he replied with “as long as it’s the stainless steel Gipson headers and not mild steel it should be good” but then in another reply says “just a heads up, the wrapping over time would most likely deteriorate the ceramic coating. This is normal as the coating will not withstand the extra heat. That should not cause any problems with the actual headers themselves”.
So back to more research and here I am. Lol After reading your response here it gave me hope. So I am just trying to verify that I read it correctly. The titanium DEi wrap will just dull the ceramic coating and not break it down? I really appreciate your insight and advice. And sorry for the LONG post just to ask a simple question. I just wanted you to have all the info. Lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DEI wrap AND ceramic coating