Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GEN 3 - GEN 4 Harness differences..

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 04:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GEN 3 - GEN 4 Harness differences..

There any differences in the harnesses themselves for the DBW motors to the DBC motors? I picked up a DBW 5.3 (assuming it's a gen 4) and have a drive by cable throttle body sitting around. Wondering if I put that on, will I have to change anything else in the harness and will my computer still work since it is programmed for a GEN 3 5.3???
Old 06-23-2012, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of Gen 3 engines are drive by wire, and all Gen 4 engines are drive by wire. You need to look at the cam and crank sensors to figure out if it's going to work or not. Gen 3 engines use 24 tooth crank wheels and 1 tooth cam sensors in the block at the back of the cam. Gen 4 engines use 58 tooth cranks and 4 tooth cam's, and the cam sensors are in the front in the timing cover.

SOME early Gen 4 engines use 24 tooth wheels, and you can run them with a Gen 3 computer, but that's LS2's, and I think it might only be LS2's, and not any 5.3's...but either way, a Gen 3 computer will not run a 58 tooth Gen 4 engine without a signal converter box from Lingenfelter.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Completely forgot about the whole reluctor wheel thing lol..the cam sensor is on the back of the block where it is for a gen 3 motor so I take it that it's a gen 3

what would it take to make it a DBC? just the throttle body then?
Old 06-24-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Junkie

pay attention to the cam, crank, maf, and injector connectors
Old 06-25-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1Psycho
Completely forgot about the whole reluctor wheel thing lol..the cam sensor is on the back of the block where it is for a gen 3 motor so I take it that it's a gen 3

what would it take to make it a DBC? just the throttle body then?
Yes, if the cam sensor is in the back of the block (right on top behind the intake manifold) it's a Gen 3 engine. To make it DBC, you just need a compatible TB, and if the intake on it doesn't have the brass inserts to attach a cable bracket, you can rob them from another manifold and press them in too.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You will need a RED/BLUE PCM to run the Drive By Cable as well. Some of the GREEN/BLUE PCMs have IAC drivers but it is easier/cheaper to find a RED/BLUE. Hope that helps.

JON
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 06-28-2012, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by psiconversion
You will need a RED/BLUE PCM to run the Drive By Cable as well. Some of the GREEN/BLUE PCMs have IAC drivers but it is easier/cheaper to find a RED/BLUE. Hope that helps.

JON
PSI
Yeah, even if you run GTO code in a Green/Blue, it won't work unless it's got the drivers that a lot are missing.

Quick Reply: GEN 3 - GEN 4 Harness differences..