Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LY6 - E38 to LS1B convertion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LY6 - E38 to LS1B convertion?

I bought a 2008 LY 6 engine, which came with some of the engine harness cut.

I`m mostly experienced with the LS1B ECM, and I do have a roadrunner.

Instead of spending time and money to get the E38 ECM up and running, I`m thinking of going the route of converting to LS1B architecture.

I`m looking into getting a LS1B manual harness, complete with ECM and install that onto my LY6.

I guess I could use and repin a vortec harness also (for use with a manual LS1B Camaro tune), but I it would be difficult to find a manual trans vortec harness.

I suppose there are guys out there who have done similar thing.

I do know I need to address the 58vs/24 tooth reluctor ring issue, and plan to use Lingenfelters converter to do so.

As the corvettes are DBW, is it an option to use the Electronic throttle on the LY6 - and wire up for Man trans corvette, and use according base file for tuning?

Do the Corvettes use the E38 PCM also?

Any inputs to what more I need to address?
Old 07-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Default LY6 Harness

I have a complete LY6/4l80E harness removed from a 2009 chevy express van I'd sell you. PM me if you are interested. I'm in North Carolina.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The E38 is a really nice PCM...I'd get the engine running with one (or an E67) unless you're putting it into a car that already has a Gen 3 (24x) PCM in it.

I had a bit of a a time with my E38 car at first...but I really appreciate the software in the PCM, and the datalogging speed compared to my previous LS1 car.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trimchip
I bought a 2008 LY 6 engine, which came with some of the engine harness cut.

I`m mostly experienced with the LS1B ECM, and I do have a roadrunner.

Instead of spending time and money to get the E38 ECM up and running, I`m thinking of going the route of converting to LS1B architecture.

I`m looking into getting a LS1B manual harness, complete with ECM and install that onto my LY6.

I guess I could use and repin a vortec harness also (for use with a manual LS1B Camaro tune), but I it would be difficult to find a manual trans vortec harness.

I suppose there are guys out there who have done similar thing.

I do know I need to address the 58vs/24 tooth reluctor ring issue, and plan to use Lingenfelters converter to do so.

As the corvettes are DBW, is it an option to use the Electronic throttle on the LY6 - and wire up for Man trans corvette, and use according base file for tuning?

Do the Corvettes use the E38 PCM also?

Any inputs to what more I need to address?
I think you can, but I'm not 100% sure on if you'll be able to use the DBW, but I know the Vettes have had it since the C5 came out in '97, so the older computer will definitely work, its just the rest thats the problem. Keep in mind those cars had a TAC module. Then you'll need a C5 pedal, harness, etc. The other thing to consider is the throttle body. I'm almost positive that you'll need the older style C5 DBW to be able to do it. The newer ones won't work.

Honestly, I think the best and probably cheapest option is to actually use what you have and just repair or replace the E38 harness since you have everything else, won't have to buy a $250 Lingenfelter box, a $300 throttle body, etc. Worst case I see is you need a new harness and a pedal....
Old 07-17-2012, 01:15 AM
Teching In

Thanks for your feedback :-)

Nice to see you guys paying interest, despite beeing my first posting on the LS1 tech forum :-)

After reading a bit about VVT, I lean more and more against keeping it.

I bought the engine for a recycler, so I do not know for sure that the Accelerator pedal/PCM/Throttle body come from the same vehicle.

I have heard that the Accelerator pedal/PCM needs to be from same vehicle type.

I have not looked into VATS system on the E38 controller yet, but I guess it`s figured out by EFI LIVE, as this controller has been on the market for a while.

The engine will not be innstalled in a GM car, and I need to make up a stand alone harness for the engine.

Any good sources for getting one for the LY6?
Old 07-17-2012, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

VATS isn't an issue, you're 1 re-flash away from disabling it on the E38.

A friend of mine just put a 2008 LY6 into his old school K blazer. Made the standalone harness himself. He used an E38 he bought that didn't come with the engine, but the throttle body did come with it.

I'm sure you can cross reference the TB to figure out what you've got. A lot of stuff IS compatible if wired correctly. By keeping the E38, you're avoiding needing the seperate TAC module as well. Going back to something like an 0411 means you need a TAC module.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Teching In

I also got a ripped out Accelerator pedal along with it :-)

But it does retain the Throttle body.

As I was supposed to ne getting a LQ9 engine, I bought a comp cam for it.

There are different style og sprockets, this one is the old center bolt i think

I`m unsure if I can use it, or if it will be any good for the LY6 VVT engine.

I don`t have the cam sheet here, so I could not tell you the #`s

Possibly best just passing it on to some other LS1/2 guy :-)

I have heard something with respect to the cam sensor, different "pin" location for the cam sensor?

Am i right?
Attached Thumbnails LY6 - E38 to LS1B convertion?-1.jpg   LY6 - E38 to LS1B convertion?-2.jpg   LY6 - E38 to LS1B convertion?-9.jpg  
Old 07-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Teching In

This Is my Camaro BTW :-)

I Imported it from USA, all the way over to Norway

LS1/Nelson 402/Procharger/6 Speed/ Ford 9" Axle.

Loving it
Attached Thumbnails LY6 - E38 to LS1B convertion?-procharged-camaro.jpg   LY6 - E38 to LS1B convertion?-2-procharged-camaro.jpg   LY6 - E38 to LS1B convertion?-3-procharged-camaro.jpg  
Old 07-18-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

You can run the 3 bolt cam, just buy an LS7 timing sprocket from GM, and run something like a C5-R timing chain. You'll lose VVT.

If you're going to run the E38, run the LS7 timing sprocket and cam sensor. If you're going to run the LS1 PCM, run a 2005 GTO timing sprocket (3 bolts but 1 pickup for the cam sensor in the timing cover).
Old 07-18-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
You can run the 3 bolt cam, just buy an LS7 timing sprocket from GM, and run something like a C5-R timing chain. You'll lose VVT.

If you're going to run the E38, run the LS7 timing sprocket and cam sensor. If you're going to run the LS1 PCM, run a 2005 GTO timing sprocket (3 bolts but 1 pickup for the cam sensor in the timing cover).
Actually thats wrong. Unless he changes the reluctor wheel to a 24X, he needs the 4X cam sprocket so the Lingenfelter box will work. I just went through all this on my L92 going in my '00 SS.

What you'll need to convert it to non VVT and run it with the older PCM is:

-Any standard 3 bolt cam of your choice (you can keep the 1 bolt, but theres less cams to chose from and the bolt is EXPENSIVE)

-A 4X 3 bolt cam sprocket, part #12586481. It only came on a couple cars since it was kind of a transition period between the 24X and 58X and the 1X/4X and the 3 bolt/1 bolt. I believe the '06 TBSS and the '07 Z06's were 2 of the only cars that got it (don't hold me to that). This link should help a little.

-A new non-VVT cam cover with the cam sensor in it.

-The Lingenfelter conversion box.

-As well as the necessary conversion and extension harnesses for stuff like the knock sensors (I would keep the new style and get the adapter harness instead of drilling and tapping the holes bigger for the older ones), the MAP sensor, injector plugs for the short injectors, etc.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:52 AM
Teching In

RE:

"A new non-VVT cam cover with the cam sensor in it"

Ie a 2005 spec LS2, used in 05 Corvette: 05&06 GTO: 05&06 TBSS?

I need to decide weather to go the E38 VVT - no roadrunner route or the
LS1B roadrunner route.

I will not be installing it in my camaro, so i will not have any car spesific issues with respect to corresponding electronics.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Teching In

RE:

LS1B roadrunner route.

I will not be installing it in my camaro, so i will not have any car spesific issues with respect to corresponding electronics.
I just switch my LY6 to a non-VVT set up. I called Pace Performance and they walked me through ordering the correct parts. They are very helpful, have everything in stock, and there prices are good.

888-748-4655
Old 07-19-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

RE:

LS1B roadrunner route.

Yeah, just a standard LS2/LS3/etc timing cover.

You really do, because theres alot to consider if you plan on keeping the VVT, like the accessories and the spacing. You still haven't said what its going in though...Is it top secret or something? lol
Old 07-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Actually, my personality i a bit . . .split :-)

Either a Merc 500 SEL or a BMW 5 Series E34 or a e38 7 series . .

I have the BMW 5 Series E34 available, and a T56/Spec Twin clutsh to go with the LY6.

Would make for a Autobahn/Nurburgring and daily driver car

Merc 500 SEL - along with a 4LE60 or 80?

BMW E38 7 series - along with a 4LE60 or 80?

Will I be banned from this forum now?
Old 07-19-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually I think there are a few LSx swapped Beamers in the custom swap sub-forum. I say go for the Beamer with the T56.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by squee
Actually thats wrong. Unless he changes the reluctor wheel to a 24X, he needs the 4X cam sprocket so the Lingenfelter box will work. I just went through all this on my L92 going in my '00 SS.

What you'll need to convert it to non VVT and run it with the older PCM is:

-Any standard 3 bolt cam of your choice (you can keep the 1 bolt, but theres less cams to chose from and the bolt is EXPENSIVE)

-A 4X 3 bolt cam sprocket, part #12586481. It only came on a couple cars since it was kind of a transition period between the 24X and 58X and the 1X/4X and the 3 bolt/1 bolt. I believe the '06 TBSS and the '07 Z06's were 2 of the only cars that got it (don't hold me to that). This link should help a little.

-A new non-VVT cam cover with the cam sensor in it.

-The Lingenfelter conversion box.

-As well as the necessary conversion and extension harnesses for stuff like the knock sensors (I would keep the new style and get the adapter harness instead of drilling and tapping the holes bigger for the older ones), the MAP sensor, injector plugs for the short injectors, etc.
You're right, my mistake. The Lingenfelter box needs to see the 4x and 58x to convert to 24x and 1x. Sorry about that.

Quick Reply: LY6 - E38 to LS1B convertion?