Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much hp can I loose with a damaged muffler!??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 02:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Question How much hp can I loose with a damaged muffler!??

I bought a brand new Hooker catback, which muffler is factory defect. Long story short, I bought it and got it installed in the U.S. and back home, the clunking sound wasnt an adjustment thing, just loose parts in the muffler having a party in the muffler...

So I much am I losing with this?! I'm guessing a from 10-20rwhp( if the parts block the gas exit..)

Going with Magnaflow or GMMG next season..I just want to enjoy the car right now.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

honestly, i had a busted baffle in one of my mufflers, and you could hear it BRAAAAAP like a honda car... well... i replaced them with magnaflow, and the difference was night and day. Car pulled so much harder. And I know it may sound like an exaggeration, but this is no baloney, completely night and day.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

..I'll take your word, Magnaflow FTW! 141$ later lol

Plus, a lot the highest dyno with ORY setup in the dyno section are with Magnaflow catback.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

...just throwing this out there.....catbacks dont really give any hp gain other than maybe 5 to MAYBE 10 hp. the only gain someone can get from a catback is by removing the cats. then you will see the 10hp gain, but show me 5 cars that get the 30hp gain as advertised by all catbacks and ill give you my shirt. and the only way your lose anything is again if parts are blocking the exits. just take that **** off and run open. i used to run open all the time with long tubes and electric cutouts and it wasnt ear splitting loud.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by usnfenix
...just throwing this out there.....catbacks dont really give any hp gain other than maybe 5 to MAYBE 10 hp. the only gain someone can get from a catback is by removing the cats. then you will see the 10hp gain, but show me 5 cars that get the 30hp gain as advertised by all catbacks and ill give you my shirt. and the only way your lose anything is again if parts are blocking the exits. just take that **** off and run open. i used to run open all the time with long tubes and electric cutouts and it wasnt ear splitting loud.
This is what I fear...

I'll just buy a Magnaflow and call it a day..130$ shipped Canada lol
Old 08-03-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah replacing it's a good idea. With a chambered muffler loose pieces inside could really restrict the flow, and keep you from enjoying your exhaust sound.

Quick Reply: How much hp can I loose with a damaged muffler!??