Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for the best performance LS7 Intake Manifold set up.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for the best performance LS7 Intake Manifold set up.

I am currently building a RHS 502 Long Deck with LS7 heads. I need as much air as possible to flow into this build. Seems the FAST 102 is not enough. Any suggestions? I have an extra 4.75 inches on top of the stock LS3 intake to fit this Intake. This is going in a 2010 Camaro SS. Thanks for the inputs.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

try gmpp single plane with 4500 tb
Old 08-14-2012, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beck sheetmetal Intake or the Edelbrock Intake and others.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lt1773
try gmpp single plane with 4500 tb
I don't think there is a DBW option for barrel throttle bodies. Which would mean running an elbow to a front opening throttle body.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Sheet metal. You'll have to cut.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:51 PM
DBN
TECH Enthusiast

If you are trying to keep it under a hood then go with a custom sheet metal intake with a large (102+) single blade forward facing throttle body.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:12 PM
9 Second Club

Mast 4500
Old 08-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Launching!

What are your goals? What are the ways you're going to use the car, and which of those ways is most important to you? And what is your drivetrain?

The fundamental - and I mean, really fundamental - mistake in evaluating intakes is to assume that airflow is the primary criteria. It's not. Airflow is important, of course, but the more important factor with modern EFI intakes is runner design - runner length and taper. Runner design determines the resonant frequency of the intake finite amplitude waves, and that resonant frequency in turn determines where the intake wants to produce peak volumetric efficiency and therefore peak torque. What a single plane or sheet metal intake *mostly* does is not increase airflow, it mostly moves the resonant frequency and torque peak higher (because of shorter runners), which in turn leads to higher peak horsepower because horsepower is a function of both RPM and torque. But depending on your application, higher *peak* horsepower may not be what you want at all.

For instance, if this is going to be a street car, and you want it to kick your *** when you punch it from a roll with a 2500 converter auto trans, a short runner intake will work against you. Big time. Just check out some of the threads of real world results on moving from plastic to sheet metal intakes on this forum - you can easily lose 10 - 15 % midrange torque.

On the other hand, if you're going for best ET, and you're working with a drivetrain that can keep the engine in a narrow band near the horsepower peak, short runner intake might be just the ticket.

Find a really good engine builder - one who understands both the theory and practice - give them your parameters, and trust their input.

Quick Reply: Looking for the best performance LS7 Intake Manifold set up.