Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone make intake w/center mounted TB with injector ports?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 06:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone make intake w/center mounted TB with injector ports?

I have a 64 Olds' that I'm considering doing an LS family swap. I would feel better if I could retain some of the old school 'look' to the engine bay....particularly the center air cleaner assembly.

My idea is to have an LS aluminum intake with the injector ports, mount the TB center style (laying flat) with the maf too, and hide the coil packs at the back of the block and run plug wires similar to old school. An old school filter element bottom would be modd'ed to go on the MAF.

I know there's all kinds of silly engineering that goes into the modern intakes, but for FI, I don't see it being a huge issue for a conversion.

I already know they make a carb conversion intake for the LS family, which to me is silly, but to each their own.

If I persue this more, I might just adapt one of those LS/carb intakes. I love driving the car, but the gas mileage kills me. Plus, the 'green' part of me would still run a stock cam, cats, and program. I just hate seeing a nice old school car with the modern intake/air cleaner, but love the mileage of the FI.

Maybe I can get a smaller company to start fabbing up a kit? Anyone?
Old 08-22-2012, 07:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Keep the port injection, the engine, ignition, etc was designed for sequential port injection.
Check out Mast, they adapt a TB to a carb style manifold to the LS TB and an air cleaner adapter. I'm pretty sure it looses the MAF, so you'll need an SD tune.
http://www.mastmotorsports.com/2010/...ew.php?cat=Old Skool Intake System&id=487
Old 08-22-2012, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

Ok thanks. After more research, I realized the Edelbrock does have the injector ports. I'd just have to make my own intake adapter. Maybe they have that too. And the Edelbrock is quite a bit cheaper.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I think they sell the TB adapter, airhorn, drop base filter only package.
Also, there are a couple companies that make coil covers that look like valve covers, no coil relocation necessary.
Btw, noticed my link didn't work. Go to the Mast site, under products, old skool intake.

Last edited by garys 68; 08-22-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

Ok I see. Yeah the upgrade package is $800. I think for that price, I'd just buy the Edelbrock intake/rails, and make my own adapters. I've got quite a bit of room under the hood so air filter height shouldn't be an issue. I'd also use the stock TB (and pedal) that comes with the motor. I have enough fab skills to make that little stuff work.

As for coil covers, never been a fan of those, especially if I'm going old school. Even tempted to put in a mock distributor, run the wires through the cap and out the bottom, to the actual coils just to mess with peoples heads (if I can hide it good enough).
Old 08-22-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just use the edelbrock intake, a 4150 throttle body and tune it for speed density. No maf needed that way.

Quick Reply: Anyone make intake w/center mounted TB with injector ports?