Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting to 1LE

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting to 1LE

I currently own 3 Fourth Generation V8 F bodies and all of them came stock with the FE2 suspension package. I am looking to upgrade all 3 cars to the 1LE suspension option. I am confused about what shocks were standard on the 1LE and if the Koni double adjustable shocks that were the yellow ones which are sold at spohn.com, came as an added option or were they only 1LE shock. Also, besides the shocks, I know the 1LE came with stiffer springs, but I'm not sure what to look for when purchasing springs. I can purchase the 1LE sway bar and bushings but are they a direct fit? And finally, what if any other components am I forgetting? I'm running Corvette C6 wheels on a 99 Z28, C5 wheels on my 2002 Formula and stock original wheels on my 94 Z28 if that helps. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

just as a heads up, the "external engine" section is more for header/intake type parts, not just everything besides the engine itself as most people seem to think. there's a suspension section that will get you a lot more help.

anyway, the 1le suspension depends on the year. I know the front control arm bushings are no longer available. I never had luck finding replacement (or even used) 1le springs either. the rear control arm bushings (solid instead of star shaped) should be what you receive if you just purchase stock replacement moogs. as far as shocks, some cars got the Koni DA's, others I think got decarbons with slightly different valving. some got the 360/130-180 rate springs, not sure when that changed (I know 93's were different, not sure what other years had changes).

depending on your goals if you're not completely tied to the idea of the "1le" setup (which will be hard to obtain 3 complete sets of in good shape) I would say you're better off with Koni/Strano, or Bilstein/stock, with some swaybars, fresh front end bushings/balljoints/tie rods, and just 1le rear control arm bushings

Last edited by therealcreeper; 08-26-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Koni yellow sport doubles were standard on the 1LE. The springs were the 360"lbs for the front and a 130-180" lbs varible rate in the rear.

The front control arm bushings aren't worth it. They all tend to split apart after some miles put on them. Sway bars were the same as stock. They have a harder bushing. The bushing is white and looks like a teflon type material.

I think the torque arm bushing was a harder material . The rear control arms and panhard bar had soild bushings as well. Try Rock Auto for the bushings and sway bar links. You can also look under a 2000-2006 HD truck suspension parts for the links.

Quick Reply: Converting to 1LE