Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust manifold vs shorty header?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 01:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust manifold vs shorty header?

I am putting an L92 into a 4x4 and it will probably wind up with an Edelbrock SC.
Due to it being an unusual setup, no one makes headers at all.

So I have 2 choices other than custom headers.
Those are something like the Sanderson or thorley ones pictured, or Z06/Zr1 manifolds.
I had read that the Z's flow damn good, but I am looking for as much tq as I can get.
LT's just arent feasible.

My only question is how "block hugger-ish" are the Z manifolds? Ive never seen them mounted from the front.

Anyone have the Z's measurements?
Or a set cheap that I can see if they will even clear the frame?

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust manifold vs shorty header?-sanderson-ls10_300.jpg   Exhaust manifold vs shorty header?-thy-326-c.jpg  
Old 11-09-2012, 02:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What year truck? You can use modified small block headers, or you can modify ls headers if you really want lt's. If you have a welder and some time it's not that difficult.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:12 AM
12 Second Club

I used a set of 17/8 small block headers and bought some ls flanges and just connected the dots from there.

This was in my buddies 76 k5
Old 11-09-2012, 04:07 AM
DVP
Teching In

Originally Posted by bww3588
I used a set of 17/8 small block headers and bought some ls flanges and just connected the dots from there.

This was in my buddies 76 k5
Sounds like the easiest route to run whatever you want.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Teching In

This is going into a 97 Land Rover Defender
I have no ability to weld at all, thus wanting a more bolt in solution.

Someone in the UK used the thorleys and they fit, but the steering shaft is on the other side in that truck, so not sure they will fit in my application since the engine is offset towards the drivers side due to the offset driveshaft on the pass side.

A few others have used ram horns in older LR's but I want the best flowing if I SC it.

Thanks
Old 11-17-2012, 12:16 AM
12 Second Club

Shorty headers will flow about the same as manifolds. There are plenty of stock manifold options that will seal better, flow just as good and will be cheaper than shortys.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Default shorty or not

Not exactly the same situation but I just had BBK short tube headers installed on the LQ9 engine in my SS Silverado that I landspeed race with Dougs Headers remote control cutouts behind the headers. The shop that does my performance modifications and tuneups dyno would not work with my long truck and AWD. The best dyno there is, the seat of your pants told me right away that the tork had really been kicked up a notch. I carried it to a test and tune where I sometimes dragrace the truck and my two best runs after I experimented what rpm's to footbrake off the line were a little over 1 second less than when I was racing it with just the Flowmaster exhaust. The truck weighs 5830 lbs. with me in it and I ran a 14.80 and 14.88 and this is without any internal modifications nor head or intake work. My best top speed in a standing mile with a strong head wind before the headers and cutouts was 134 mph. I will be running next spring to see how much speed I have picked up. I need to make one more external modification before my next outing but I am not sure what to do, maybe a FAST intake. I can't post a picture but I have a shot just as this truck was leaving the line that tells the whole story, I will be glad to email it to anyone that would like to see it just PM me with your email address.

Garrell Patterson
Old 11-24-2012, 05:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

If stock gto/vette manifolds fit, they flow pretty well.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...e_header_test/
Old 12-17-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by garys 68
If stock gto/vette manifolds fit, they flow pretty well.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...e_header_test/

Informative read, enlightening as well.

Quick Reply: Exhaust manifold vs shorty header?