Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chirping noise. No a/c belt on car.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 02:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chirping noise. No a/c belt on car.

I have an extremely annoying noise coming from on of my pulleys on my car. My car is a 2002 firehawk. It has a v6 power steering pulley with a shorter belt, could this be the problem? Also when water hits the belt the noise goes away instantly for a few, then comes back. The higher the rpms go the faster it chirps. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The water on the belt tells me the belt is slipping a little, how long has it been doing it?
I'd clean out all the belt pulleys groves to remove any oil/grease/anti-freeze that maybe on them. You'll also want to throw the belt in some soapy dish water to remove any oil/grease/anti-freeze from it. If this doesn't solve the problem then either the belt tensioner isn't keeping the belt tight enough, or the belt is to big. The belt being to big could be from wear or that the belt size is slightly longer than really needed.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
The water on the belt tells me the belt is slipping a little, how long has it been doing it?
I'd clean out all the belt pulleys groves to remove any oil/grease/anti-freeze that maybe on them. You'll also want to throw the belt in some soapy dish water to remove any oil/grease/anti-freeze from it. If this doesn't solve the problem then either the belt tensioner isn't keeping the belt tight enough, or the belt is to big. The belt being to big could be from wear or that the belt size is slightly longer than really needed.
It has been doing this for about 3 months. I was driving my car normally one day and my power steering pulley I guess wobbled loose and cracked my ps reservoir. I parked the car removed the power steering system and ordered a new pulley, the pulley I got was off a v6 firebird smaller than the v8 pulley. I had to buy a slightly shorter belt. I put it on and chirped ever since. I could not find correct power steering pulley at any parts stores...
Old 05-08-2013, 06:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

you should have the correct pulley on there for one , and two buy a new tensioner from and a new belt and clean all your pulley or idlers off by hand , ive used windex , dawn works great too but a little more work to do .
Old 05-08-2013, 07:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

One thing I've encountered was the printing on the back side of a new belt was the source of a chirp as it went over an idler.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Teching In

I just ordered the new pulley, it should be here tomorrow. I will clean off all of the pulleys and idlers really good. Finally got my car running with my new S60 swap and I totally forgot about those crickets under my hood lol thanks guys
Old 05-08-2013, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

also---have you had the balancer off the car?

my balancer was working loose and causing a chirp...

i went and replaced a bunch of **** only to find i had to tighten my balancer....just a thought...
Old 05-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by zacht
also---have you had the balancer off the car?

my balancer was working loose and causing a chirp...

i went and replaced a bunch of **** only to find i had to tighten my balancer....just a thought...

Yes I have had the balancer off, I run a slp underdrive pulley now. I did have trouble pulling it on the crank snout during install but my brother told me it was on all the way
Old 05-09-2013, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Today after I drove the car, I parked it turned it off got out of the car and still heard the noise a little, (after the car was off)? Any idea anyone?
Old 05-12-2013, 05:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Birds nest under the hood?
The only thing that might be running with the car off are the fans.

Originally Posted by S.F. T/A
Today after I drove the car, I parked it turned it off got out of the car and still heard the noise a little, (after the car was off)? Any idea anyone?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

ever figure it out???

try tightening the balancer?? (or seeing if it was loose?)

Quick Reply: Chirping noise. No a/c belt on car.