Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 12:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission or something else?

I have a 2002 Automatic SS Camaro. When I accelerate from zero to about to 30 miles per hour, my automatic transmission stays on first gear instead of shifting to second. I need to accelerate on first gear to about 35 miles per hour, release the gas pedal, and that is when second gear engages. No engine light is on, and all other gears work fine. I checked tranny fluid, and no issue there. Tranny tune-up was done less than two years ago. I also changed fuel filter and used fuel injector cleaner and the problem is still there.

Any suggestions? Please please please help.

Last edited by dplanet21; 06-03-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 years since the last fluid change? Id start there. is the fluid bright red or burnt and orange? Its not just about the fluid level.

I would do good fluid (not autozone special) and a new filter. And id definitely stay out of it till you do so. Ive seen miracles, were a trans was condemned, put new filter and amsoil in and the trans was fine for years.

Best test is going to be getting the pan off to see what you find.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:31 AM
Teching In

Thank you for your quick response. Fluid is bright red. It looks new. Car only has about 7000 miles the last 2 years. I'm really tight on cash. So I'm trying to get as much info as possible before I start spending money. Any other suggestions?
Old 06-03-2013, 01:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any other issues? Does the car feel like its pulling harder at stop lights (have to hold the brake harder to keep it from moving)? Any vacuum leaks?

Do you have anyone with hptuners nearby that can look over the easy stuff, O2 performance, maf response, map sensor... etc

What kind of tune do you have?
Old 06-03-2013, 03:00 AM
Teching In

Car has always pulled a little at stop lights.

I paid 400 bucks for a dyno tune in 2005. Never been tuned since. I dont care for the shop that tuned it. I've heard a lot of bad things.

I didnt check for vacuum leaks. I will tomorrow. Thank you for ur help.

Quick Reply: Transmission or something else?