Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Problem, Exhaust Only Coming Out One Side, Help Please

Old 06-05-2013, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust Problem, Exhaust Only Coming Out One Side, Help Please

My car is a 2000 SS, A4 (see sig. for mods). I went out and started my car this afternoon (38,000 miles) and noticed I was only getting exhaust gases out of the left side (left side when standing behind the car and looking at it, drivers side). I put my had over the right side and confirmed nothing was coming out.
The car is hardly ever driven and is in GREAT shape both inside and out. I am selling the car soon and want to make sure it is in perfect shape for the new owner. I am having a new gear put in Friday at Speed Inc, outside of Chicago. I plan on asking them to see if they can look at what has happened. I just wanted to get others opinion on what could be causing this?

The exhaust is a long tube headers, off road Y-pipe and Borla adjustable catback exhaust. Strong exhaust gases out of the left side, nothing out of the right side.

Thanks,
Old 06-06-2013, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe the cat is clogged up?
Old 06-06-2013, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Maybe the cat is clogged up?
Wouldn't matter, all gases are combined in the I-pipe.

Which plate is in your Borla? The more restrictive plates are going to route more gases through the muffler and out the left pipe since the right tip is not connected to the muffler on the Borla adjustable system.

In addition any of the sytems for thses cars using a crossflow style muffler will be biased to the left, as the gasses do not have to make as many turns to exit there.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3

Which plate is in your Borla? The more restrictive plates are going to route more gases through the muffler and out the left pipe since the right tip is not connected to the muffler on the Borla adjustable system.

In addition any of the sytems for thses cars using a crossflow style muffler will be biased to the left, as the gasses do not have to make as many turns to exit there.

Thanks for your response. I hope to find out today what if any problem there is. There was a plate replacement (to the smallest opening) on the exhaust about a year ago. Still had exhaust coming out both tailpipes. The popping/backfiring is something that just started and happened at the same time I noticed the exhaust issue. So, I am thinking the popping/backfiring is a back-pressure issue with the exhaust. I just want to make sure the car is as perfect condition as possible for the new owner.

Car is 8+ out of 10 both inside and out. Only 38,000 miles on the OD and all mods except for the lingenfelter shortblock were done within the last 3,000-4,000 miles. The short block only has about 7,000 miles on it. Have all receipts since the car was new and asking $13,000. Have a potential buyer I am already working with. I just want to make sure I fix these last couple issues before I turn over the car to the person that says he wants it or I end up listing it up for sale.

Thanks again for your info. I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 06-08-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3

True...
Old 06-11-2013, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill'sWS6
Thanks for your response. I hope to find out today what if any problem there is. There was a plate replacement (to the smallest opening) on the exhaust about a year ago. Still had exhaust coming out both tailpipes. The popping/backfiring is something that just started and happened at the same time I noticed the exhaust issue. So, I am thinking the popping/backfiring is a back-pressure issue with the exhaust. I just want to make sure the car is as perfect condition as possible for the new owner.

Car is 8+ out of 10 both inside and out. Only 38,000 miles on the OD and all mods except for the lingenfelter shortblock were done within the last 3,000-4,000 miles. The short block only has about 7,000 miles on it. Have all receipts since the car was new and asking $13,000. Have a potential buyer I am already working with. I just want to make sure I fix these last couple issues before I turn over the car to the person that says he wants it or I end up listing it up for sale.

Thanks again for your info. I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks,

Bill
Not to be rude, but you need to go look at your exhaust. Short of a piece of something coming down the pipe and blocking the hole in the plate, it is effectively impossible for the lack of right side pressure to indicate any sort of issue. Before the tailpipe splits, all gases are contained within a single peipe. No conclusion can be drawn from lack of pressure there. My LT/ORY/LMI used to snort, pop, rasp, and spit fire. The lack of cats will allow small bits of unburned fuel down the pipes depending on load. By all means have it checked, but I am skeptical you will find much.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust Problem, Exhaust Only Coming Out One Side, Help Please