Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone modify a Kooks TD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They said add resonators or a second set of mufflers, however since they do not have a jig for this system they can be of no help getting them installed. Unfortunately there is no shop around here with the ability to do custom mandrel work.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That sucks. I don't have any access to a mandrel, but I'm hoping I can just get rid of the little kinks in the I pipes and run straight 3 inch smooth tubes. I think they are 3.5 inch OD but I'm going to call SW to be sure. I still haven't gotten a chance to work on the car. I repairing respiratory equipment for a living + this allergy season = a lot of work.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pseudonym
That sucks. I don't have any access to a mandrel, but I'm hoping I can just get rid of the little kinks in the I pipes and run straight 3 inch smooth tubes. I think they are 3.5 inch OD but I'm going to call SW to be sure. I still haven't gotten a chance to work on the car. I repairing respiratory equipment for a living + this allergy season = a lot of work.
Post up what ever you end up doing
Old 05-14-2014, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ill probably use a magnaflow x pipe with an SW smooth tube right of the x on the passenger side, then I can fit the driver side smooth tube either right next to the passenger side muffler, or in the stock muffler location.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mufflers and x pipe ordered. They wont ship until 5/22.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The X pipe is wider than I expected. It could work if I cut the Kooks system before the X, weld the mufflers going straight back, then slip fit the x pipe into the mufflers. That MIGHT work and go into the Kooks over axle pipes.

I cannot put into words how disappointed I am with the Kooks True Duals. I spent an absurd amount of money on a full Kooks setup, and when I wasnt satisfied they acted like its my fault. I feel like Ive been robbed by a cop.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:29 PM
Teching In

The X pipe is wider than I expected. It could work if I cut the Kooks system before the X, weld the mufflers going straight back, then slip fit the x pipe into the mufflers. That MIGHT work and go into the Kooks over axle pipes.

I cannot put into words how disappointed I am with the Kooks True Duals. I spent an absurd amount of money on a full Kooks setup, and when I wasnt satisfied they acted like its my fault. I feel like Ive been robbed by a cop.
I agree! I ordered a magnaflow dual in dual out muffler planning to put it in the stock location like this...

I was going to use the kooks mufflers along with this setup. Unfortunately the magnaflow muffler necks down to a single 3" or less in the center of the muffler for maybe 3-4 inches. Also I haven't been able to find a j bend in 3" that is as tight a radius as the picture.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just put the smooth tubes in line before the kooks mufflers, and I must say that Im very impressed. The tone is deeper, and the volume dropped about 8 dB standing next to the car, and a whopping 16 dB drop at 20 ft. Thats from a muffler that has a 3 inch inlet/outlet and only a 3.5 inch outside diameter. STAINLESS WORKS FTW!

Now I have to cut out everything from just before the X pipe on the Kooks system to right before the over axle pipes to get these things where they need to be.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:53 AM
Teching In

I just put the smooth tubes in line before the kooks mufflers, and I must say that Im very impressed. The tone is deeper, and the volume dropped about 8 dB standing next to the car, and a whopping 16 dB drop at 20 ft. Thats from a muffler that has a 3 inch inlet/outlet and only a 3.5 inch outside diameter. STAINLESS WORKS FTW!

Now I have to cut out everything from just before the X pipe on the Kooks system to right before the over axle pipes to get these things where they need to be.
Post pictures if you can, so I can better visualize what you are doing. I sent back the magnaflow dual in dual out and all the part to install it.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It was just a mock up to hear it. The part Im redoing is going to look like a Texas Speed true dual, and that is going to be extended to fit the axleback from the Kooks system.

I cant post pics. I dont have a camera and I have an old dumb cell phone.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

I just put this system on my car with a 408 in it and I agree with the rest of you is much too loud to drive in town and not attract unwanted attention (i.e. cops). Does anyone have any feedback on how much quieter I can make the system if I put the kooks high flow cats on instead of just the straight pipes? I hate to spend the money to buy the catted intermediate pipes if the difference isn't that noticeable.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

68L71 has the catted version and he says it is way too loud.

It seems like adding long resonators is the only feasible option.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Out of curiosity, what kind of system are you guys coming from? I've mentioned this in PM's on this issue and never really considered this system "unbearable". Subjective, I realize as there are louder and worse sounding systems, but am curious....

Personally, having run a LM1 and Corsa, I consider the catted version of the Kooks comparable in noise, but smoother.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

I think that's a valid point, I am coming from a stock 5.7, long tubes, ORY with a cat-back flowmaster to a 408 medium cam kooks long tubes and off road kooks TD. I think it's just going to take some time for it to sound "normal".

Last edited by Kfen20; 05-27-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:57 AM
TECH Regular

I'm scratching my head about this thread.... I just ordered the exhaust from Maryland speed on the 16th. A course it's go take a while to sound "normal" cause let's face it. a y pipe go sound totally different from a X pipe setup. I want a different sounding exhaust. I don't see myself investing money in another exhaust system. I ordered the kooks without the cats. I hope it sounds better than slp borla corsa etc.....
Old 05-28-2014, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LPE 403
Out of curiosity, what kind of system are you guys coming from? I've mentioned this in PM's on this issue and never really considered this system "unbearable". Subjective, I realize as there are louder and worse sounding systems, but am curious....

Personally, having run a LM1 and Corsa, I consider the catted version of the Kooks comparable in noise, but smoother.
The system might be fine on a stock motor, but who needs dual 3" exhaust for a stock motor. I know exhaust sound is subjective, but when the system doesn't quiet the motor enough for the car to be street legal, there is a problem. The system sounds good, but for a car that I want to drive daily it is just too loud. I'd rather my car get attention because it is fast not because it Is obnoxiously loud.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LPE 403

I had 1-3/4 Pacesetter, ORY, and Magnaflow catback.
I switched to 1-7/8 Kooks with the TD. I picked up a good bit of torque (30+ ft lbs) But Im willing to lose a few to make it more driveable. My car is louder than my friends 383 with his cutouts open.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got rid of the bullets on the kooks true dual and added flow master hush power mufflers in their place. At it is only slightly louder than factory.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
I got rid of the bullets on the kooks true dual and added flow master hush power mufflers in their place. At it is only slightly louder than factory.
I think I'm going to do something similar
Old 05-30-2014, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was suppose to say "at idle" it's only louder than factory. But it's really no louder than road noise at coast as well. At WOT it's still pretty loud though

Quick Reply: Anyone modify a Kooks TD?