Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone modify a Kooks TD?

Old 01-18-2017, 03:24 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I don't now if this would fit. It's 4" total height, but it may bang against the floor and drag everywhere... but it's cheap. But it may be too long. I need to go measure where it could go. Passenger side would be easier. But the driver side comes off the header and snakes back around to the passenger side. I don't know if there's 12" around there without hitting something/everything.

Vibrant Performance Bottle-Style Resonators 1794

Also this from Borla (slightly smaller dimensions) but more than twice as much: Borla 400939 CrateMuffler Resonators

I'd hate to hack up the intermediate pipes and neither work great. I've also thought about doing the catted version to mellow it a little, but it needs more than cats. And the Green cats are insanely expensive.

Also, the Kooks Mufflers are smaller than the Magnaflow... but these sound good on everything else. Wish they had found a way to include them as an option. But they may be too big (unless you turn them sideways like with the Magnaflows)... 4x8x12 body vs the 5x8x14 of the Magnaflow and overall length is 16" vs 20" of the Magnaflow.

https://www.kooksheaders.com/accesso...ffler-883.html

Last edited by JakeFusion; 01-18-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its obviously an issuer for most people that buy the kit. Wonder why they won't offer another muffler in the kit.

Im curios as to what that kooks oval muffler would sound like also.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:41 AM
Super Hulk Smash

I may buy one and see how it would fit. It's smaller than the Magnaflow. So it probably has less sound deadening capabilities... so maybe it tones it down a lot but not as much as the Magnaflow...
Old 01-19-2017, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah thats a good guess. Since the magnaflow is less than $100 a piece, I think its hard to beat. It sounds dang good in the videos I think.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
I don't now if this would fit. It's 4" total height, but it may bang against the floor and drag everywhere... but it's cheap. But it may be too long. I need to go measure where it could go. Passenger side would be easier. But the driver side comes off the header and snakes back around to the passenger side. I don't know if there's 12" around there without hitting something/everything.

Vibrant Performance Bottle-Style Resonators 1794

Also this from Borla (slightly smaller dimensions) but more than twice as much: Borla 400939 CrateMuffler Resonators

I'd hate to hack up the intermediate pipes and neither work great. I've also thought about doing the catted version to mellow it a little, but it needs more than cats. And the Green cats are insanely expensive.

Also, the Kooks Mufflers are smaller than the Magnaflow... but these sound good on everything else. Wish they had found a way to include them as an option. But they may be too big (unless you turn them sideways like with the Magnaflows)... 4x8x12 body vs the 5x8x14 of the Magnaflow and overall length is 16" vs 20" of the Magnaflow.

https://www.kooksheaders.com/accesso...ffler-883.html
You know .... I'm sorry I didn't push harder for the Kooks ovals. They do sound good. When I first purchased the system I called Chris @ Kooks. We had a long discussion & it was determined that the oval wasn't an exact fit or they at least never tested it. I then put it out of my mind & traveled down the path of the B&B's & Corsa program ( which never panned out). The oval option was an after thought. After trial & error & finding that the Magnaflows fit .... I am now sure that the Kooks ovals will fit. They will definitely have better sound deadening qualities than the bullets. Its worth a try.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by josh4ku
The fact that the xr1 mufflers are over $500 for a pair really makes me not want to try it considering the fact that they more than likely will still be just as loud, but maybe a better exhaust note. I think the magnaflow mufflers sound awesome on your car and looking at your sig my setup is very similar to yours. The flow master DBX laminar mufflers look like they would quiet it down more than the magna flow since they aren't a straight through design. Really wondering if i should try those first. HMMMMM. They are expensive also though.
Far be it from me to throw any product under the bus .... but if I'm not mistaken, the DBX mufflers are one in the same as the Pro Series mufflers that I tried #3 in my comments. They weer a hair less in volume & they droned HARD ( on my build). Maybe worth a try on someone else's vehicle.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NitrOmm
Far be it from me to throw any product under the bus .... but if I'm not mistaken, the DBX mufflers are one in the same as the Pro Series mufflers that I tried #3 in my comments. They weer a hair less in volume & they droned HARD ( on my build). Maybe worth a try on someone else's vehicle.
I think your right on that. magnaflow is the best option I would say1
Old 01-20-2017, 08:06 PM
Super Hulk Smash

If that's the case, then I just need to buy one and take to an exhaust shop and see if they can make one fit and weld it up. If it's a go, I'll get the other one and have them do it. I think it would still sound insane at WOT and at idle, but more mellow cruising around.

Now, I just have to find a shop local to me that won't screw up such an expensive exhaust.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

If that's the case, then I just need to buy one and take to an exhaust shop and see if they can make one fit and weld it up. If it's a go, I'll get the other one and have them do it. I think it would still sound insane at WOT and at idle, but more mellow cruising around.

Now, I just have to find a shop local to me that won't screw up such an expensive exhaust.
Get it done and post some more videos for us!
Old 01-22-2017, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You will definetly achieve a more mellow cruising sound. WOT has no choice but to scream, as at its core the Magnaflow is a straight through design. The biggest change you will notice is that the rasp will be completely eliminated. The downshift popping ( which I liked) is now muffled. It still exists but sounds more like thunder in the distance rather than a distinctive cracking/popping sound. Overall the description is "smooth".
Old 01-22-2017, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

You will definetly achieve a more mellow cruising sound. WOT has no choice but to scream, as at its core the Magnaflow is a straight through design. The biggest change you will notice is that the rasp will be completely eliminated. The downshift popping ( which I liked) is now muffled. It still exists but sounds more like thunder in the distance rather than a distinctive cracking/popping sound. Overall the description is "smooth".
I'm sold
Old 01-26-2017, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

mine showed up today

Old 01-26-2017, 06:59 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Can't wait to see how the install goes.

I'm not going to hack it up just yet... if I do a Turbo, I'll do a reverse Y from the downpipe to the true duals post X-Pipe. That would be very mellow at that point but flow very well.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

Can't wait to see how the install goes.

I'm not going to hack it up just yet... if I do a Turbo, I'll do a reverse Y from the downpipe to the true duals post X-Pipe. That would be very mellow at that point but flow very well.
Yeah if you make it worth with turbo it will be plenty quiet. My last turbo build couldn't be loud enough! even with the cutout open it really wasn't that loud. For me I missed the exhaust note that was eliminated by the turbo muffling sound. cammed procharged ls sounds the meanest IMO!
Old 01-28-2017, 01:23 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Yeah... well that was the direction I'm going... I'd have to replace a lot to go turbo. But I could put the Procharger on right now with meth and have a pretty fast car.

I may just pick up a 99 Camaro or something and build it with a T6 type of turbo deal...
Old 02-01-2017, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is the consensus go with the magnaflow?

I have the same exact issue with my kooks setup. The car is almost not fun to drive at this point. I get way to much attention just taking it to get gas.

Here is my car at idle currently.
https://youtu.be/L_ls-Fz7aDU
Old 02-01-2017, 07:43 PM
Super Hulk Smash

The idle is insane with the car. And WOT is unbeatable.

The issue is cruising at 1600-1900 RPM for me. I don't want garbage truck drone.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

1/2 throttle & a little boost sounds nice as well !!
Attached Files
Old 02-04-2017, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

1/2 throttle & a little boost sounds nice as well !!
awesome keep those videos coming. make me fill all warm and fuzzy inside
Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I'm worried the Magnaflows will be too tame... and the Kooks Ovals will still drone.

What I was looking at was GTO exhaust setups (since they are most similar to the Kooks TDs)... and I have to tell you. The Corsa Sport system sounds insane with its high pitched WOT wail. At idle, it's much deeper than Magnaflow... and has no drone.

Corsa won't sell the mufflers tho. LOL.

The GTO Sport mufflers look like they are 6" canisters. They would be the PERFECT fit.

I'm going to try to score a set used... not paying $1200 for two mufflers, a bunch of tubing, and tips I don't need.

Who else makes a Corsa-clone muffler?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone modify a Kooks TD?