Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vararam Composite Intake Manifold For LS3 Based Engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 05:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
I'm assuming speed density only and with dual TB's likely very challenging even for a skilled tuner.
You could do SD or TPS vs RPM ( or a combination of both, depending on what your chosen ecu offers ) and it should be easy for any tuner. It's still just an engine

The number of TB's doesn't really matter as long as they're balanced, no different than an ITB setup.

At a push you could still adapt to run a single MAF, but I wouldnt be keen on it.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talked with Vararam today and posting what I was told.

Waiting for final part to be test fitted and if it fits tooling is complete and production will start soon.

Another video of finished version in a month or so.

LS3 version first like was said all along, LS7 follows in few weeks.

Cathedral port version well into development now.

One version each application at first with optional runners to follow.

Large gains down low on cams with more overlap.

Single TB on "Y" which connects to plenums with fasteners and "O" rings..no hose like on pre-production versions.

Single TB only.

Again...this is what I was told so I'm only repeating.

Vararam is eager to get these to market but did not want to hurry and leave anything on the table.
They have multiple patents on each intake.
The good news to me was that the cathedral port version is nearing completion.

Spring to early summer still targeted release if tooling produces the right fit on the final piece mentioned above.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

It'll certainly be interesting when these intakes do appear....at least interesting if we get to see some actual results.

It looks like there is a lot of potential.

Whilst googling the other day, I did spy what Jenvey offer, their bases could be used for an alloy version along with some suitable plenums.

For a DIY fabricator, could work out fairly cost effective. Their bases now have pretty long runners and they do them in all 3 head designs. Just a flat flange seal though, not that it matters too much.

http://www.jenvey.co.uk/products2/ma...-6-sfd52-mct01
Old 01-29-2016, 07:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for the update.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Well, I don't really like it. Looks like it would add about 45# to the nose for starters. Secondly, how would a TB rotating the exact opposite direction of what it's supposed to affect? Same reason you can't swap Gold / Silver blade TB's... They open different directions.

Just not for me. Polymer please.
Well, for starters there is no "right way" to open up a throttle body as long as it gets open to 100%. I've seen TB's that open both ways, and both perform exactly the same. There was more to the redesign of the LS2>LS3 silver to gold blade. And call me crazy but I think maybe they just mounted them wrong on the display. lol
Old 01-29-2016, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Talked with Vararam today and posting what I was told......Large gains down low on cams with more overlap......
Cool.....since I have a cam with 18* of overlap.

No matter to me if the top-end power increases or not, so long as I get more power below 5K RPMs!!

KW
Old 01-29-2016, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by spawne32
Well, for starters there is no "right way" to open up a throttle body as long as it gets open to 100%. I've seen TB's that open both ways, and both perform exactly the same......
Yeah.....open is open.

Doesn't really matter if the top opens forward.....or if the bottom opens forward.

At the end of the day, it the angle of the blade that determines the size of the opening....and as such, the amount of air that flows through.

KW
Old 01-30-2016, 06:45 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Kinda what I was wondering, bc I've heard guys in the past had FITS with the gold vs silver blade TB's, and it came down to them opening exactly opposite each other.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
"Under the curve" power = more important in a street car than peak power.

And depending on how much more power "under the curve" we're talking about.....it could be much more important than peak numbers, even in a race car.

I guess the questions are....do you understand what is meant by "under the curve" and if so, do you understand its significance?

KW

Thank you KW Baraka for describing in so short simple words some so abstract terms...

I truly understand your literal explanation, nevertheless it I still technically vague and leads me to the next question:

Is there a Below under the curve that you can add to your explanation?
Christian
Old 01-30-2016, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kinda what I was wondering, bc I've heard guys in the past had FITS with the gold vs silver blade TB's, and it came down to them opening exactly opposite each other.
Well its not strictly the direction in which it opens, i believe two of the major issues were that the silver plate LS2's were aluminum plates that expanded and would bind in the bore when hot, vs the brass LS3 counterparts which led to less warranty issues. Second being issues with idle, you will notice its not strictly a matter of which direction the plate opens, but the shape of the inlet. The LS2 and LS3 have different design inlets which help (along with the angle of the blade) improve idle efficiency. The object is to be able to get the car to idle smoothly without having to open the blade that far. I dont like ****** with the swirl pattern of these newer drive by wire throttle bodies the way they are designed from the factory, older cars it was a bore with a plate, and you could port it without having to worry about idle quality because you had an idle bypass screw you could **** with to manage that. Drive by wire the computer controls the plate angle to adjust idle. They are swappable too btw, harness wise i dont know what you need but I am currently upgrading from a LS4 throttle body to a LS3 with a conversion harness on my GXP. Program the new throttle area parameters in hpt and your set.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by miami993c297
.....Is there a Below under the curve that you can add to your explanation?
Christian
As basic as possible, power below the curve = power below peak.

Modified, stock displacement LS3 Engines typically reach peak horsepower at about 6200-6400 RPMs and peak torque around 4500-4700 RPMs. Let's say that you have two engines with roughly the same peak HP/TQ at roughly the same RPMs. But at each 500 RPM increment, one performs better than the other.....maybe 5 to 10 rwHP/TQ better.....from say, 2000 RPMs to 5000 RPMs.

That area is what's generally referred to as 'below the curve'. And the stronger performing engine in this RPM range will/should perform better in normal street driving and should perform better at the track due to superior/stronger acceleration......so long as they have about the same peak power numbers in the same RPM point.

Me? I'm not an all-out, peak power junkie. I like a strong top end like the next guy but I crave the 'power below the curve' because this is where I find my driving 'fun' .

KW

Last edited by KW Baraka; 02-02-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Wrong thread sorry!
Old 02-09-2016, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Well, I don't really like it. Looks like it would add about 45# to the nose for starters. Secondly, how would a TB rotating the exact opposite direction of what it's supposed to affect? Same reason you can't swap Gold / Silver blade TB's... They open different directions.

Just not for me. Polymer please.
Flipping the throttle body upside down won't affect anything. A lot of the Magnacharger kits require the throttle body to be flipped so the stepper motor will clear the added pulley.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:46 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
Flipping the throttle body upside down won't affect anything. A lot of the Magnacharger kits require the throttle body to be flipped so the stepper motor will clear the added pulley.
I know that, but that's not what I meant. I'm simply saying I have yet to see a vehicle that required a silver blade LS2/early LS7 run properly utilizing a gold blade TB. (Which doesn't even matter in this thread)

Anyway, since I've moved away from LS3 heads I really want to try this on an LS7
Old 02-16-2016, 07:04 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I know that, but that's not what I meant. I'm simply saying I have yet to see a vehicle that required a silver blade LS2/early LS7 run properly utilizing a gold blade TB. (Which doesn't even matter in this thread)

Anyway, since I've moved away from LS3 heads I really want to try this on an LS7
If you are serious about LS7 heads, which are amazing, then look at what Tony Mamo is doing to the MSD for ls7's. He's porting them, and gaining 40hp/40tq over a stock ls7 intake, which has been the benchmark in intakes for a while.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:45 AM
The Scammer Hammer

I've chatted a bit with him and I'll admit, im impressed. I've talked to Patrick at Vararam as well and am REALLY excited to see the LS"any" version of it in production form.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"I've talked to Patrick at Vararam as well and am REALLY excited to see the LS"any" version"

Anything new you can update us with?
Old 02-16-2016, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

I've chatted a bit with him and I'll admit, im impressed. I've talked to Patrick at Vararam as well and am REALLY excited to see the LS"any" version of it in production form.
Originally Posted by 1989GTA
"I've talked to Patrick at Vararam as well and am REALLY excited to see the LS"any" version"

In for updates...
Christian
Old 02-18-2016, 10:28 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by 1989GTA

What I mean is I'm excited to see ANY of the variants (LS3, LS7, cathedral) in production.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

Another month goes by..... any update Vararam? It would be fair to potential customers to provide a reasonable timeframe for delivery expectations.

If it won't happen in Q2 then just say so.

Quick Reply: Vararam Composite Intake Manifold For LS3 Based Engines