Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adapter for reluctor ring timing

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adapter for reluctor ring timing

having a huge problem with an adapter that I bought from Linenfelter (forgot how to spell it)started out I bought an LS3 crate engine from GM performance to install in my 2001 WS6,installed it then sent it over to Delk Performance for them to finish the wiring and get it running which they did a fantastic job.But with the LS# having a different reluctor ring they had to purchase and install an adapter to tell the computer of the different ring this is the problem it ran great for about 2,000 miles and the adapter quit working,towed it back to Delk had it replaced ran great for 1,500 miles the adapter gave out again this is getting to the point where I am afraid to drive my car not knowing when it will crap out and where or when it will happen.the above mentioned company is the only one that makes this adapter just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how to solve it.if you would like to call me 9 AM to 8 PM to discuss this fix call me at 615-896-6262 this is getting expensive/towing and parts for the 3rd time.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never fooled with one of these, but after your numerous failures I'd expect it's mounted too close to something hot. I'd sure want to tear into one of those bad ones and see if a fail point could be determined...
Old 09-17-2014, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The box that Lingenfelter sells to adapt that apparently had problems in earlier versions. I believe they added a separate power lead later on but I may have dreamt that. Do you know which box you got? I would speak directly to the mfg of the offending part. And +1 on electronics+heat=failure.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

They have a lot of problems with the reluctor converters and they often fail. I would have changed the crankshaft reluctor to 24 tooth and used a 1x cam gear before installing the engine in the car.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been using the Lingefelter converter for our LS3 for the last 3 years without any problems.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jontall
They have a lot of problems with the reluctor converters and they often fail. I would have changed the crankshaft reluctor to 24 tooth and used a 1x cam gear before installing the engine in the car.
When I was looking to swap to LS2, this was a concern of mine..and was fairly steered away from changing the reluctor as I was told it was a major undertaking that is easy to screw up. Was I steered wrong?

In the end I got lucky and found a 2005 motor that is 24x that should work with my early PCM.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Those boxes seem to be hit and miss.

Is it viable to pull the motor to have the reluctor changed? A machine shop charged me $75 to swap the reluctor on the crank.

Quick Reply: adapter for reluctor ring timing