Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L92 HEAD PART # QUESTIONS and Build ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post L92 HEAD PART # QUESTIONS and Build ?'s

In 2007 the L92 head was released into the new 6.2 ltr trucks
I know their was a sand cast
and also a different cast made that was much smoother and had bigger exhaust porting....

I'm looking to get a brand new set of L92's from my local GM dealer.
when I called they told me the part numbers have been changed 3 times since 2007 so what part number am I actually looking for.... I need both heads bare from gm and are they still swappable onto a lq4 2003 engine in the year 2014..

I'm looking to do a 550hp N/A at crank build.. any help would be awesome also
I'm currently ripping the block down and doing a bath new bearings and checking for cracks. I think I'm gonna reuse the stock crank... everything I have seen online so far says they are good to about 600hp..

what would you guys recommend for h beam rods, bearings, pistons, what springs should i use in the heads... rockers, rocker bar, and rings do i have to bore it over or just hone it and clean it up to reach my 550hp goal.....

this is my first ls build im a sbc guy just curious what you guys have seen for numbers. I would rather ask then spend a crap-load of money and fail.....
i got the idea from

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ylinder_heads/

the motor is being put with a 4L60E built for 650hp into a 1987 irocZ TPI car.... the old girl has finally had it and needs a new heart.!!!
Old 10-05-2014, 11:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I would just read some of the builds around this forum just to get familiar with LS style engines.
L92/LS3 heads will bolt right onto the LQ4 with no problems. You can also get CNC LS3 heads for a decent price.
The stock crank has been pushed over 1000hp without problems so as long as it's checked over I would reuse it for your build. Stock bore should get you to 550hp but you may need to bump compression to get you there.
My machine shop hones to piston spec so I would see how the cylinders measure out before deciding.
There are many choices for rods, Callies Compstar H-beam or Scat seem to be popular.
For cam/springs I would talk to one of the sponsors like http://www.briantooleyracing.com/ http://www.texas-speed.com/default.aspx
Pistons Wiseco, Diamond
Stock rockers with trunion upgrade.
Melling 10295 High Pressure Oil Pump (Stock volume but about 10psi over stock)

Last edited by LLLosingit; 10-06-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Look around here and you should get some ideas https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...omparisons-65/
Old 10-07-2014, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hm

thx guys. i think im gonna go with l92 heads ls6 springs or ls7 if they fit.
rocker bar needs 2 be changed due to clearance issues....

as for the bore tho.... whats ur guys take on it... i know none of the ls lq4 blocks all the cylinders match... should i punch it .030 over or .010 or would that actually hurt what im looking to do by getting 550hp.

Once again thank you
looking to get the biggest power for my $ no fancy ****.

my bigger problem is gonna be injection and figuring out a intake and tune after its built.

thanks guys keep the ideas and info flowing.!

here she is!
Old 10-07-2014, 11:29 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm not sure why you think you need to change anything on the valvetrain, People are pushing well over a 1000hp on stock stuff with only a rocker arm trunion upgrade.
You should be able to go .030 without any problems.
I'm not sure what your budget is but power does cost money. To get 550hp at the crank is doable on a budget but your going to have to bump up compression and most likely run a cam that's going to require a healthy stall and gears.
I would talk to some of the sponsors on here about what your goals are and they can match you a cam/spring/pushrod package that will take the guesswork out of it.

The injection side of it won't be that difficult, There are several people that sell a stand alone harness that is made to order for your combination and then you'll need to find a shop to tune it for you.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:33 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by LS87CamaroProjectGuy
thx guys. i think im gonna go with l92 heads ls6 springs or ls7 if they fit.
rocker bar needs 2 be changed due to clearance issues....

as for the bore tho.... whats ur guys take on it... i know none of the ls lq4 blocks all the cylinders match... should i punch it .030 over or .010 or would that actually hurt what im looking to do by getting 550hp.
LS7 springs won't fit, and LS6 springs may not be enough. Depending on the cam and valves you use, you may want to try an aftermarket beehive spring, like what Comp or PAC offer, or a dual spring kit like what Brian Tooley offers.

More bore will be a good thing, especially with the large valves that the L92 heads have. I went 4.065" with my block and used LS3 rods and pistons for 376 cubic inches. Several others have since done the same with good results.

Quick Reply: L92 HEAD PART # QUESTIONS and Build ?'s