Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Valve Cover gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Best Valve Cover gaskets

I have had an issue with some brands of valve cover gaskets in the past. Some better than others but they usually are trouble free. I have come across a few sets that would stretch and be a PITA to get to seal especially once re-used.
Are there any manufactures making a gasket for LS motors like the MOROSO Perm-Align gaskets with a steel insert in them? I have used these on my big block Chevy and will never go back to traditional gaskets. If they are not available what do you recommend? Cost is not really an option.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive always used the felpros were are they leaking from
Old 10-17-2014, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Go with stock. I had my valve covers off a few times and they still are leak free.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
I have had an issue with some brands of valve cover gaskets in the past. Some better than others but they usually are trouble free. I have come across a few sets that would stretch and be a PITA to get to seal especially once re-used.
Are there any manufactures making a gasket for LS motors like the MOROSO Perm-Align gaskets with a steel insert in them? I have used these on my big block Chevy and will never go back to traditional gaskets. If they are not available what do you recommend? Cost is not really an option.
Usually the GM stock gaskets don't give us any fits. There are some case where we have used the Yella Terra valve cover seals if we needed extra clearance for aftermarket rockers etc as well. Heres a couple of links to get whatever you need. Everything is in stock and ready to go out to you. If your stock rocker setup definitely recommend the GM stuff. If you have plans to change rockers go ahead and get a set of Yella Terras.

LINK TO GM VALVE COVER GASKET (NEED 2 OF THESE WHEN ORDERING)

LINK TO YELLA TERRA VALVE COVER GASKETS/SEALS (SOLD AS SETS)

Old 10-28-2014, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HINSON Motorsports
Usually the GM stock gaskets don't give us any fits. There are some case where we have used the Yella Terra valve cover seals if we needed extra clearance for aftermarket rockers etc as well. Heres a couple of links to get whatever you need. Everything is in stock and ready to go out to you. If your stock rocker setup definitely recommend the GM stuff. If you have plans to change rockers go ahead and get a set of Yella Terras.

will these work with Harland Sharp rockers? i have spacers (with shot seals) and can't find replacement seals for them and i can't for the life of me get them to stop leaking (i'm very picky).
i'd be perfectly fine with ditching those spacers if i could.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

I haven't had any issues with stock or Fel-Pro. I've had both on and off various times without issue.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:03 PM
Teching In

I don't know what covers you are using, of course, but I can say that I've had an LS1 since 2001 and it has never leaked an iota with stock seals (I'd not really call these things "gaskets" in the sense of the typical rocker-cover gasket when I was younger).

Also, when I recently swapped covers on my new LS3, Holley suggested reusing the originals GMs, which I did. They simple fit perfectly and I cannot see how they would ever leak. Much has changed in engine sealing over the years, and consistently for the BETTER!

All the best!
Old 11-13-2014, 12:00 PM
11 Second Club

Awesome! Thanks for the info!
Originally Posted by HINSON Motorsports

LINK TO GM VALVE COVER GASKET (NEED 2 OF THESE WHEN ORDERING)

Old 11-13-2014, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

I had an issue with my 1st Gen CTS-V with the LS6 stock valve covers. I think part of the problem was that I installed new Fel-Pro gaskets and a week later I removed the valve covers when the engine was hot. the gaskets fell off and stretched. I couldn't for the life of me get them to go back on as they were stretched. I get another set of Fel-Pro's and put a tiny bit of gasket sealer in between the valve cover groove and the gasket to hold them in. I used only a teny tiny bit and it wasn't enough to not let the gasket seat.
I was really hoping that someone was making a gasket with a steel insert since that would prevent any stretching and the gaskets would last forever. I guess it is not really necessary as it seems like my issue is isolated.
Originally Posted by Avanti
I don't know what covers you are using, of course, but I can say that I've had an LS1 since 2001 and it has never leaked an iota with stock seals (I'd not really call these things "gaskets" in the sense of the typical rocker-cover gasket when I was younger).

Also, when I recently swapped covers on my new LS3, Holley suggested reusing the originals GMs, which I did. They simple fit perfectly and I cannot see how they would ever leak. Much has changed in engine sealing over the years, and consistently for the BETTER!

All the best!

Quick Reply: Best Valve Cover gaskets