Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily driving 99 z28 possibilities

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily driving 99 z28 possibilities

Hey guys I'm looking for some good advice for upgrades to my car. I have an automatic 99 z28 and so far all I have is a flo pro exhaust which the car came with and an SLP air lid with the ram air mod. However, people are convinced my engine is "hot" thinking it was tuned before I got it. I'm not sure and can't find a way to get a hold of the previous owner so oh well. So anyways I was wondering if it is possible to have a 10-12 second car that is pretty good/descent on gas. And if so will that only be possible with major engine upgrades such as heads/cams etc? What is the fastest my car can be with only bolt ons? (headers, dyno tune, full exhaust x pipe true dual, msd intake manifold) If turbo is considered a bolt on that would be the absolute last thing I get. But anyways yeah let me know guys!
Old 03-31-2015, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Let's first start with a budget...do you have one??
Old 03-31-2015, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Let's first start with a budget...do you have one??
No not yet. Let's just say I want the best for my buck and the best increase in power with each purchase so I know stuff can be really expensive however if there are some brands that put out the same power then I will go cheaper everytime
Old 03-31-2015, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Well to make a 10 sec daily driver is going to be a lot harder than a 12 sec ride. With that said a good head/cam combo with a shot of nitrous will do it or even a blower or turbo would do it. You'll also need to budget things like tires and maybe a upgraded rear end
Old 03-31-2015, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Well to make a 10 sec daily driver is going to be a lot harder than a 12 sec ride. With that said a good head/cam combo with a shot of nitrous will do it or even a blower or turbo would do it. You'll also need to budget things like tires and maybe a upgraded rear end
So if I got the full bolt ons could my engine and body handle a turbo??
Old 03-31-2015, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd start with maintenance and a quality stall, add some headers/y or x pipe, ram air setup and a nice retune and see where you are with a decent set of tires.

If you need more after that, figure it out from there. Heads and cam will get you low 11s with mild suspension work and a little practice. Or leave the SBE alone and do a nice 100 shot, that'll get you there or lower as well.

Originally Posted by Silent_Knight30
So if I got the full bolt ons could my engine and body handle a turbo??
I really feel like you just need to do some more research. And post this in the right forum.

When I hear questions like that rattled off, it's more that the owner couldn't handle the turbo than the car itself.

When you have 'full bolt ons' they won't be 'handling' a turbo at all. Because you'll take 90% of the them off to fit the turbo kit. And yes, a SBE LS1 can make a good bit of power before needing help, it's the trans and rear end that'll go first. Start with bolt ons and read read read.

- Drew

Quick Reply: Daily driving 99 z28 possibilities