Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please School Me - LSA Track/Race/Hill Climb feasibility?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please School Me - LSA Track/Race/Hill Climb feasibility?

Hello all,

Have an option to go from LS3 to LSA, for very little difference in cost. Existing exhausts are full stainless 1 3/4" long 4 - long 2 - 1s (couldn't fit 4-1 LT). Fuel from Aeromotive A1000 so plenty of room to grow.
Have 3 stage Aviad dry sump ready to transplant. Oil coolers all round.
2.66 T56mag with a z/28 3.91 diff
Link G4+ Extreme ECU

Honda S2000 is around 2800lbs

From what I understand the LSA suffers from power loss after blower heat soak occurs after a short period of time. I'd like to be able to get 6-10 laps off at track days without issues, or a few hill climb runs etc.

There is enough room to heat shield oil fittings and lines.

Would a larger radiator (already planned) plus a bigger heat exchanger work along with the other mods? Or would it be best to look at a better air/water unit inside the supercharger as well?
Also would cooling the engine this much more cause separator plates to be useless? E.g may the engine run cooler than the blower unit?
I don't plan to do much more than cam/valvetrain, sounds like pulleying it may not be the best idea for my usage scenario, any feedback on that would be good.
Increasing RPM could also be considered if the uprated valvetrain and stock rotating mass can handle it.

Or is it all still just staving off the inevitable heat soak?

Temps here in New Zealand summer typically 24-28°C sometimes in the 30s absolute worst case 34-38°C in a few days.

2c, experience and ideas welcome! Cheers
Old 08-12-2016, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

For the exhaust your already have, and the light weight of the vehicle, I think the LS3 would be a fine choice for you.

The LSA would definitely benefit from/need a larger exhaust, with 2" primaries. And, I think traction would be a nightmare in such a light vehicle with those low rear gears and a positive displacement blower.

The LS3 has a good intake and good valves, and would be a much better match for the exhaust you already have. A nice custom cam and a properly set up valvetrain, and you can spin an LS3 to ~8000rpms. Should be plenty for road racing such a light vehicle.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

If you do decide to get the LSA, look into retaining the A/C and run an active intercooler. There are systems that use the A/C to chill the A2W intercooler to sub-ambient temperatures. That would probably solve any cooling concerns you may have.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you both so much for the thoughts and feedback! Torque won't be an issue in lower gears as the ECU can handle traction control, however this is still something to consider!!
Totally forgot about 2" primaries with such a setup. Problem is there is literally not really enough room to go to them without major kerfuffles.. Guess it's best I run the LS3 for now.

Did see the AC LSA coolers, intriguing indeed but not sure if they'd be so good for my usage (constant heat load vs drag strip/lane cool down).

Guess I'll put the pennies towards a RHS/LS next big cube NA build instead which will give similar results without the weight and heat hassle.

And you make a good point re:NA... the sound will be even more glorious and I love engine noise. Thanks again and cheers!

Quick Reply: Please School Me - LSA Track/Race/Hill Climb feasibility?