Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stroker issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stroker issues

First- I recently had a complete motor rebuild, forged 402 with cnc TSP LS3 top end, 11:1 compression and BTR stroker cam.

When I picked it up, my PCV hose routing seemed odd. After much Internet research, I seem to come to the same conclusion. The shop routed the hose from the holley valve cover to a tee between the valley cover and the catch can and the other hose from the catch can to the intake. CAI was capped. A 20 mile 4k rpm ride would almost fill the catch can reservoir. See first picture (unable to rotate pic). Builder suggested a good vented catch can.

The second picture is how I rerouted, valley cover to catch can to intake and CAI to valve cover. Just a teaspoon of oil in the catch can. Is this correct for a NA stroker?

We are trying to solve a starting issue, won't start on the first try when warm but fires up on the second try. Per Internet, seems to happen a lot. Any recommendations ?

Also, when at 3k rpm or higher you can hear a distinct 'whoosh' sound (high blowing of air) from inside the cabin. Is this normal for a stroker?

Just trying to get any help I can to get pointed in the right direction. It will be going back to the builder as I think the rear main seal may be leaking. Did some increased pressure from somewhere bust the seal? This is an assumption, has not been verified. Motor runs strong but need to work out the bugs. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
Attached Thumbnails Stroker issues-20161205_190648.jpg   Stroker issues-20161205_184410.jpg  

Last edited by Goathd; 12-06-2016 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Still seeking input.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

For what you're asking, I will say this:

Whatever would be 'correct' for a OEM engine would also be correct for a stroker.

Odd sounds, excessive blow-by........not normal.

KW
Old 12-18-2016, 03:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

With the way he had it hooked up to begin with probably built up some pressure in the engine and the rear seal leaked. You may have it fixed with the correct routing. There is more windage with a stroker---GM Performance makes a oil separator that fits into the oil fill in the pass valve cover. Works great for LSA and blower cars that have no PCV in the valley cover. I have one and a catch can on mine.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Look up MIGHTYMOUSE catch can.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:37 PM
Teching In

I might give mighty mouse a try. What's the difference (advantage / disadvantage ) between the vented and non-vented catch cans.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Vented or sealed is dictated by the system in whole.

Mine is setup for speed density (no MAF sensor) so metered air doesn't exist and no forced induction to work around. Rings are gapped for nitrous so blowby is a real issue. In this case I have a small breather on each valve cover, LS6 valley cover, sealed catch can and vac side intake port. Clean air enters the crankcase from breather filters and the throttle body port draws crankcase fumes from the valley cover port. This way a sealed can keeps air flow moving in 1 direction. To pull extra crankcase vac I only need to cap the valve covers.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:21 PM
Teching In

I routed mine as you did in your 'corrected' variant with a non-vented can. It does still pull some blow by through the can, but it does a good enough job of catching excess. That being said, I don't accumulate a large amount in my can with normal driving. I have yet to change it since putting some auto cross time on the motor this year, in the midst of manual swapping. Other than that, no issues to report with that setup.

Quick Reply: Stroker issues