Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 steam vent plug removal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 steam vent plug removal?

I'm working on a new crate motor and will be using the rear steam vents. It looks like they have factory plugs in them. Any suggestions on how to remove the plugs without removing the heads?

Also, are those holes threaded? If not, and I have to tap them, I guess I'll be pulling the heads anyway.
Thanks
Old 12-21-2016, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

The ports are not threaded. Plugs are actually a plate with bolt hole right next to ports. Factory plugs are simple unbolt deal.

Several vendors make very nice bolt on vent tubes that will run under various intake manifold styles up to the front vent tubes. Nitrous Outlet has a few options I've seen in person, each looked high quality (on road course vettes).

DIY option if you have thick enough block off plates already, drill and tap the plate for whatever fitting type then bolt them back on. More DIY and kits here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-ls-motor.html
Old 12-21-2016, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the tips. It looks like this one is some type of plug insert, not a plate.
Attached Thumbnails LS3 steam vent plug removal?-slc-013.jpg  
Old 12-22-2016, 12:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drilled mine out. My motor came apart anyways so I tapped all of them for 1/8 pipe
Old 12-22-2016, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

That looks annoying.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:01 AM
Teching In

You read my mind.
Looks like I'm pulling the heads. Just not comfortable drilling that out and getting shavings in the coolant passage.

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
That looks annoying.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
That looks annoying.
This.

It's unfortunate you do not have the blocks there, as they simply bolt down via the threaded hole that is pictured.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:05 PM
Teching In

ok, to follow up, here's what I did:
Used a 1/8" drill bit dipped in grease and very slowly drilled into the plug, stopping frequently to remove the chips and vacuum the hole. When I got the hole deep enough, used an EZ out to work the plug out. I also plugged the other cooling passages and pressurized it a bit with compressed air to blow out any small chips that got in during the process. Probably overkill but didn't want any little chips in there.

I expect you could easily tap them out from the other side if the heads were off (assuming you can get to that cooling passage from the other side).

Posted this just in case someone else has the same issue.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Man, I saw the same thing on my ls3 crate motor. I understand why gm did that instead of a block bolted on, but what a pain. Not even sure I'd like to drill it, though the minimal shavings content shouldn't be a problem for the head coolant passages.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

They are press fit in use a drift punch and just knock them out with a few solid taps and it will fall right out.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JRcamaroZ28
They are press fit in use a drift punch and just knock them out with a few solid taps and it will fall right out.
You mean by punching them out from the block side of the head. Problem is, the head is installed on a crate motor. When ordering a crate motor, people don't want to disassemble the whole thing just to get those plugs out.
The following users liked this post:
oldngray (10-12-2020)
Old 12-30-2016, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
You mean by punching them out from the block side of the head. Problem is, the head is installed on a crate motor. When ordering a crate motor, people don't want to disassemble the whole thing just to get those plugs out.
I missed you have a crate motor just saw the guy above had his heads off.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are actually riveted in placed. You can buy the rivets from GM. (#12602048)

Here is pdf on how to install them. Removing them would involve drilling out the center of the rivet to weaken it then carefully pull it out.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...1_rSPk-0BlS6Jw

Last edited by KENS80V; 01-15-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Default Info

I know it’s an old thread. I just had same problem with a set of heads I bought from Texas speed. Fortunately I had installed the head (Only 1 had a rivet plug ) on the driver side and the plug ended up in the front. I say fortunately because when I drilled the rivet the head of the rivet fell into the water passage. Just so happens that is the water port to the water pump, rivet head was laying there I blew air through the now open port small shavings and rivet head out of engine. Moral of the story is any other plug would’ve been drilled out would’ve it ended up in the cooling system and that piece is big enough to create Major problems.

Old 01-18-2022, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aceez71
I know it’s an old thread. I just had same problem with a set of heads I bought from Texas speed. Fortunately I had installed the head (Only 1 had a rivet plug ) on the driver side and the plug ended up in the front. I say fortunately because when I drilled the rivet the head of the rivet fell into the water passage. Just so happens that is the water port to the water pump, rivet head was laying there I blew air through the now open port small shavings and rivet head out of engine. Moral of the story is any other plug would’ve been drilled out would’ve it ended up in the cooling system and that piece is big enough to create Major problems.
Reviving this thread again. I am wanting to remove the rivets from the rear of the heads on my 2011 Grand Sport. Was thinking about using a bit sized for an M3 bolt, tapping the rivet and then using an M3 bolt and a spacer to pull the plugs out. But I would be doing this on the car.

I am running an E-force supercharger and would like to have max flow through the heads.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 597 Likes on 412 Posts

Dent puller?

Can't comment on whether that would work in that chassis.

Maybe just a sheet metal screw and some sort of prybar.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

GM engineers didn't see a need for the rear crossover steam ports anymore since the highest point of the cylinder head is at the front of the block and this is where any air bubbles will find their way anyway This is the reason they've been plugging the rears off since the 2000 LS1 and it wasn't until the Gen IV's that they started permanently filling those ports in. Engine coolant makes its way around the cylinders and through the heads already so all I can see from adding a rear crossover steam line is that you're adding another place for coolant and trapped air to go. I must have an older set of 823's on my 370 build because they have the provisions for the steam port plugs.
Old 07-14-2022, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Default Yep! This works! Thanks

Originally Posted by 140K_GXP
Reviving this thread again. I am wanting to remove the rivets from the rear of the heads on my 2011 Grand Sport. Was thinking about using a bit sized for an M3 bolt, tapping the rivet and then using an M3 bolt and a spacer to pull the plugs out. But I would be doing this on the car.

I am running an E-force supercharger and would like to have max flow through the heads.

Tried to center punch to drill and the centers of the rivets fell in. In retrospect I would prob try to left hand drill bit these centers out

Tapped the remaining hole with a 6-32 tap coated in grease.

Used a socket head stainless 6-32 bolt and a 3D printed bushing and fender washer and they pulled right out!

There it is! Now if I compress the ports from the other side, I wonder if I can’t blow out the aluminum rivet centers?

The following users liked this post:
themealonwheels (07-16-2022)
Old 10-08-2022, 08:54 PM
Teching In

I have a similar situation with a new supercharged LS3 crate motor in a "57 Chevy. I bought one of those rivet plugs just to see what I dealing with. The plug part is some kind of al alloy but the center pin is some kind of steel, maybe stainless but magnetic.... not good. Whoever installed the motor in the car (long story) left the plugs in and then installed the Eaton supercharger leaving minimum room to work. I have a plan but it's going to be risky.
I have another observation that I don't understand. GM sold these LS3 crate motors without steam vent tubes installed but with the rivet plugs. Surely they didn't expect people to remove the heads to remove the plugs. So I guess it's ok to drill out the plugs and don't worry about the chips. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Royce Cochran; 10-10-2022 at 07:35 PM.

Quick Reply: LS3 steam vent plug removal?