Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum Pump sucking a lot of oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Vacuum Pump sucking a lot of oil

I don't know if this would be the right section for this, but heres the issue I'm having. I installed a Moroso vacuum pump #22640 along with a ReherMorrison inline vac regulator on my 416 LS3 build. At high rpm on the dyno, it would start spraying oil out of the Moroso catch can/filter. Vacuum hose is being pulled from mid/front area of the intake valley cover, then to the inline regulator, then to the pump, then from the pump to the catch can with filter.
I was thinking of maybe relocating the hose and pulling it from one of the valve covers instead, maybe less oil splash in there. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Subscribed for info as well ill be installing a pump soon if I can afford it and would like to know the correct way to install one as well as what works best and why without starting a whole new thread
Old 02-27-2017, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Valley cover port is the cleanest outlet, LS6 valley right with the internal baffle?

Did you dead-head the system so it only pulls blowby?

Quick fix, split the lines into the pump to spread the force. Draw from the valley cover and valve covers (inline filters or catch can... your choice) to reduce the flow from valley cover only.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe you are spinning the pump too fast at high RPM.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by slogo
Maybe you are spinning the pump too fast at high RPM.
Good point, instructions for that model say to keep it under 6k rpm. Larger pulley might be the solution?
Old 03-03-2017, 12:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

I had this problem also with a GZ Motorsports pump. Measure how much it is pulling in vacuum.... then adjust it.... also make sure it has a baffle to prevent massive amounts of oil being sucked up.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

Still sucking a lot of oil. I adjusted and set the vac regulator and its still sucking a lot of oil.
Should I relocate and pull vacuum from one of the valve covers as opposed from the valley cover? Maybe run a different oil catch can/filter? I will try to call Moroso tomorrow as well.
Any suggestions is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting about maybe spinning the pump too high.

I would try pulling off of the valve cover before changing any parts.

Last edited by SoFla01SSLookinstok; 04-14-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should pull the vacuum from a valve cover and also weld a baffle on the inside of the cover to keep the oil from getting sucked in the engine. I have no issues pulling 10" vacuum on my setup with a GZ pulling from the valve cover (although I am running an LT1 but principles are the same). Way way back I ran an electric vacuum pump on an LT1 and pulled from the valley and it pulled way too much oil and less vacuum than from the cover.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:09 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

This is almost certainly a baffling problem.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:06 PM
10 Second Club

I do have a baffle where it pulls vacuum. In fact its from Moroso, specifically for their vacuum pump. I should mention that its not just sucking too much oil, its actually spraying out from the top hat filter of the Moroso oil catch can. I will probably go ahead and relocate and pull from the valve cover and weld somekind of baffle as mentioned.Or I can split the line from the pump into a Y, and use two oil catch can. Any more suggestions guys? I have to addressed this issue before going to the track for testing. Dang it!

Last edited by BOLO; 04-15-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Just for feedback. I've been pulling vacuum from the oil fill adaptor. GZ setup. Actually have been surprised at how little of oil shows up in the catch can. Hope you get it figured. Time for testing!
Old 04-25-2017, 09:07 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
Just for feedback. I've been pulling vacuum from the oil fill adaptor. GZ setup. Actually have been surprised at how little of oil shows up in the catch can. Hope you get it figured. Time for testing!
Yes I did it. I relocated the vacuum inlet hose from the valley cover to the passenger side valve cover. Drilled a new hole for the oil filler cap on the driver side valve cover. All is good so far! Now we'll see how the forecast this weekend for some testing.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

valley cover has shown to be a particularly BAD location for venting high power setups.
fills my cans faster than valve covers
stock pcv return, meh it does ok, but the above is far from that.
curious why you want a vac pump or what you are looking to gain? lots of the time the cost and complication leads to nothing useful and sometimes harm.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:36 PM
10 Second Club

Default vac pump

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
valley cover has shown to be a particularly BAD location for venting high power setups.
fills my cans faster than valve covers
stock pcv return, meh it does ok, but the above is far from that.
curious why you want a vac pump or what you are looking to gain? lots of the time the cost and complication leads to nothing useful and sometimes harm.
Vacuum pump was already purchased during the early part of the build. Most engine builders highly recommend running a pump for better rings seal and longevity, especially on high hp application such as this one. And yes it could be harmful to the engine if its pulling too much vacuum. So far so good.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BOLO
Vacuum pump was already purchased during the early part of the build. Most engine builders highly recommend running a pump for better rings seal and longevity, especially on high hp application such as this one. And yes it could be harmful to the engine if its pulling too much vacuum. So far so good.

good luck with it, they are usually a lot of cost/complexity/upkeep for not much in return.

if you continue to have trouble with it I feel good about a single catch can system up to 1500hp and after that we can just add another.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
good luck with it, they are usually a lot of cost/complexity/upkeep for not much in return.

if you continue to have trouble with it I feel good about a single catch can system up to 1500hp and after that we can just add another.
If I may add, running a pump will also help prevent blowby. I recently removed the Accufab 4500 efi throttle body for some minor adjustments of the plates, and noticed the inside of the intake manifold are as clean as the day I first put the engine together, all the way down to each intake ports to cylinder head.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BOLO
If I may add, running a pump will also help prevent blowby. I recently removed the Accufab 4500 efi throttle body for some minor adjustments of the plates, and noticed the inside of the intake manifold are as clean as the day I first put the engine together, all the way down to each intake ports to cylinder head.
I know this is an older thread but bumping it up
did you ever figure out how to reduce the amount of oil your pump is pulling? I started out the same on the valley cover and have since swapped over to a Mighty Mouse fitting in the valve cover where the fill cap would usually go and still pulling a lot of oil. I set my vacuum regulator to where it pulls about 10-11in max. I’m running a Vac Pump on mine due to the ring gap for lots of Nitrous. My engine builder recommended me run one.

Quick Reply: Vacuum Pump sucking a lot of oil