Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

402 knock sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 04:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 402 knock sensor question

My builder called me today and wanted to know what to do with the knock sensor on the LS2 402 when swapping into an F-body with some LS1 parts. I believe I recall hearing somewhere that you just keep them outside of the cover. Is that it? If not, what does he do with them? I don't think he has run into any other problems but if he does I'll post them up here. Thanks for the advice!
Mitchell
Old 03-15-2007, 05:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
My builder called me today and wanted to know what to do with the knock sensor on the LS2 402 when swapping into an F-body with some LS1 parts. I believe I recall hearing somewhere that you just keep them outside of the cover. Is that it? If not, what does he do with them? I don't think he has run into any other problems but if he does I'll post them up here. Thanks for the advice!
Mitchell
Old 03-15-2007, 07:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is an unused boss on each side of the block. Tap that and screw them in.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WKMCD
There is an unused boss on each side of the block. Tap that and screw them in.
Sweet.. care to recommend what size/thread tap to use??? Also, I take it there is a bracket (or something) that the knock-sensor sits in that gets bolted to this newly tap'd hole????

Old 03-15-2007, 08:12 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't have to tap anything on my LS2 block. On the passenger side there is a unused threaded hole close to the dipstick, just screw the knock sensor in. There is also a threaded hole in about the same location on the driver side also. Then all you need to get is a harness extension to hook them up.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedracer5532
I didn't have to tap anything on my LS2 block. On the passenger side there is a unused threaded hole close to the dipstick, just screw the knock sensor in. There is also a threaded hole in about the same location on the driver side also. Then all you need to get is a harness extension to hook them up.
Sweet... good info....

Old 03-15-2007, 10:22 AM
Banned

You can put the knock sensors in different locations, depending on clearance issues. The holes at the bottom of the block along the pan rail, if the headers dont interfere. Theres also holes in the ends of the cyl heads that they fit, but the back one/pass. side is in the way in a fbody. You can also use the undrilled bosses as stated earlier. Theres also a hole just behind the AC compressor that will work.
So lots of options. You'll need a harness from one of the vendors. Several of them have them. Also will need the LS1 timing cover/timing chain and cam sensor. Also need a harness for that.
If you are using a SLP timing chain set up, and oil pump, you will have interference issues. Theres some machine work that has to be done. Anybody want the low down on that PM me and I'll 'splain.
Hope this helps. Thats free info acquired the hard way!!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys, I just gave the guy at the shop SDPC's phone number. He had several questions about the swap and I assumed it'd be faster to have him call them than have me post 5 or 6 different questions. I want this thing running damn it!

edcmat-l1, thanks for all the help you've been in this post, my pms, and other posts!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SVT THIS

edcmat-l1, thanks for all the help you've been in this post, my pms, and other posts!
No problem. Any questions feel free to PM if you dont want to post.

Quick Reply: 402 knock sensor question