Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2/LS1 Windage Tray Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS2/LS1 Windage Tray Question

I'm removing the oil pan from a 2006 GTO LS2 and replacing it with an F-Body LS1 pan. Can I use the existing windage tray (front sump) or will there be interference issues with the rear sump pick-up tube. thanks, Mike
Old 08-10-2007, 02:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe all the windage trays are the same PN.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Windage Tray Applications

I believe that the GTO pan has a front mount dipstick.

The F-Body (and all of the other Gen III/IV engines except LS7s) have a right-rear lower block-mounted dipstick tube. You'll have to have a tray that fits your dipstick application. I can only speak with experience about truck and CTS-V applications, but they're both different (and have different part numbers).

The wet-sump Y-Car and F-car may have the same windage tray, because they also share the same dipstick location.

The boss will be just to the rear of your knock sensor mounting hole. On some of the dry-sump blocks and some of the GTOs, this boss is not drilled for the tube, which could cause grief and misery if discovered towards the end of a swap.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Finally got the GTO pan off today. The trays are different. The f-body tray only covers the rear 3/4 of the rotating assembly. The GTO tray goes all the way to the oil pump pick-up. I found the boss for the dip stick, it has a small plug that needs to be pressed out. Looks like the stick will clear either tray. Why is the F-body pan shorter? Will oil circulation be compromised it I left the GTO pan in? thanks, Mike
Old 08-12-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Oil Pan

Yeah everything should be just fine , use all the LS1 Oil pan stuff .. I just converted from LS1 to LS2 and now have about 15000 miles on my LS2 and everything worked out fine , so if you have anymore questions , please ask .. thanks
Old 08-13-2007, 12:10 AM
Staging Lane

Bad Blue,

Is there a torque spec for the tray nuts? Did you use loctite?
thanks, Mike

Quick Reply: LS2/LS1 Windage Tray Question