Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 C6 Oil Pan Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 04:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 C6 Oil Pan Question

Perhaps another GM goof-up?
I bought a GTO engine for a project car, and swapped to a C6 LS2 oil pan. To keep things as simple as possible, I got same-year (2006) parts. On the GTO oil pan, there were two plastic pieces that looked like wings coming off the sides of the pan. The service manual refers to these as "closeout covers." The passenger side has a hole where the starter gear pokes through. Each of these is held to the oil pan by ONE bolt.

I am having a problem installing these on my new C6 pan because there are no threads for the bolt! There ARE holes for the bolt, but no threading in the holes. Either GM goofed and forgot to thread these holes, or the C6 has some different form of mounting these. If anyone can help shed some light on these holes, and whether or not they should have thread, I'd appreciate it.

Held up to new C6 pan (passenger side):

Bolted to old GTO pan (driver side):

For what it's worth, a 2006 Corvette oil filter wouldn't fit on this pan, but a 2007 filter would. Seems like GM slightly changed the 'oil pan kit' part without changing the part number.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an "early" #12581810
and a later > 07 #
12598186 which uses PF 48 and has magnetic plug.

Both should have a threaded hole on both sides to secure that plastic cover piece.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know why an '06 wouldn't have a magnetic plug... Anyways, my friend reminded me that the Corvette driveline doesn't mate the tranny directly to the engine, but I would think you'd still need something there to block off the flywheel. I know of at least one other person with unthreaded holes, who chose to leave the driver side exposed while using the starter to hold up the passenger side cover.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have retrofitted a least a dozen of these on C5s, including on three of my engines, and you should be able to move the same plastic filler pieces to the provided (not on yours maybe) threaded holes.

Last edited by See5; 03-17-2008 at 12:19 PM.

Quick Reply: LS2 C6 Oil Pan Question