Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weiand Street Warrior Intake Independent Engine Dyno Testing By Mast Motorsports

Old 09-15-2008, 06:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weiand Street Warrior Intake Independent Engine Dyno Testing By Mast Motorsports

Last week Mast Motorsports conducted independent, third party testing on the new Weiand Street Warrior Intake Manifold for Starr Products out of Australia, the designers and manufacturers of the manifold. Testing was conducted on our SuperFlow SF-902 NSCR Engine Dyno. All testing should be independent of weather conditions as no engine was tested without immediate back to back runs. The engine was even still hot while the intake manifolds were being interchanged as the intent of the testing was to measure the effects of directly replacing a stock piece with this intake. The picture below is an LS3 equipped with the Starr/Weiand Products manifold.

The first test seen here is our LS3 crate engine. This engine is a bone stock LS3 that was pulled straight off of the crate. The engine was run on a Mast Motorsports M-90 ECM, wiring harness, and calibration. Below is a link to our engine specs. as well as an overlay of the Starr/Weiand manifold as compared to the Stock LS3 manifold.

Mast Motorsports LS3 Crate Engine

The Starr manifold makes a lot more torque in the 3100-5500 RPM range when compared to a stock LS3/L92. Additionally, we found no significant decrease in peak power on a stock engine. The only place that the Starr manifold produced less power than the stock piece was the last 300 RPM of the dyno pull. This piece should greatly improve the “driven” power range for a street oriented LS3/L92. It should also be great for LS3/L92 head Marine applications.

Next, we wanted to see the midrange gains to be had with a modified LS3/L92. The second test seen here is our LS3 HO crate engine. This engine is basically an LS3 with a more aggressive camshaft. The engine was run on a Mast Motorsports M-90 ECM, wiring harness, and calibration. Below is a link to our engine specs. as well as an overlay of the Starr/Weiand manifold as compared to the Stock LS3 manifold.

Mast Motorsports LS3 HO Crate Engine

The next test completed was a Mast Motorsports LS7 427 SS crate engine. This engine is one of our latest releases and is a hand built LS7 with Callies crank and rods and Mahle forged pistons. It uses a ported and modified LS7 head and some really nice valvetrain pieces. A link to the full specifications of this engine can be found at the link below:

Mast Motorsports LS7 427 SS Crate Engine

Though it is designed for the LS3/L92 heads, the Starr/Weiand manifold can be used on LS7 heads with the use of spacers to accommodate the differences between them and the LS3/L92 cylinder heads. Below is an overlay of the Starr/Weiand manifold and the Stock LS7 manifold.

The Starr/Weiand manifold has a significant advantage in torque until right before 6000 RPM. The peak torque number was increased approximately 35 Ft.-Lb. As a result, the peak power number was decreased by about 35 HP. This is a significant gain for a car that is going to be driven on the street. We were quite pleased with this result as the manifold wasn’t designed to be used on a big inch, high revving setup like this. It really changed the characteristics of the LS7 427 SS.

Starr also offers a cathedral port manifold for older LS series engines. This is a completely different piece than the LS3/L92 manifold. The following test was conducted on a bone stock LS2. The engine was run on a Mast Motorsports M-90 ECM, wiring harness, and calibration. We do not sell an LS2 crate engine, however, we do offer M-90 control packages that will allow you to run a crate or pullout LS2 engine. They are available with embedded wideband O2 capability with the WBO2 packages or narrow band O2 with the DBW packages. Links are included below:

M-90 WBO2 Control Packages

M-90 DBW Control Packages

Below is an overlay of the Starr/Weiand manifold as compared to the Stock LS2 manifold.

The data above pretty much shows that the manifold helped the LS2 everywhere in the operating range. The gains were especially significant in the midrange where as much as 30 Ft.-Lb. of torque were gained. Peak power also increased approximately 14-15 HP.

This was not the extent of our testing. Many engine combinations have been tested throughout the week, but here is a solid representation of the affects of this manifold on a few crate engines that are offered by us. Mast Motorsports will continue to test and develop the latest LS Series engine technologies as they arrive to the aftermarket.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:51 PM
12 Second Club

how the hell did you guys get one.... ill send my address... let me get that

and since you have one do u know when it will be shipped and arrive on our doorsteps
Old 09-15-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

well this pretty much confirms my suspicions...i hope this settles all the debate over weiand vs. FAST vs. ported stock vs. etc.....

THANK YOU Mast Motorsports for the info....now everybody can shut the hell up

EDIT, let me be the first to ask, because many more will, how does the Weiand compare to a ported FAST on a cathedral-port motor? and how easy will the Weiand be to port?
Old 09-15-2008, 06:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whitew01ws6
how the hell did you guys get one.... ill send my address... let me get that

and since you have one do u know when it will be shipped and arrive on our doorsteps
you and i need the LS6 manifold on a LS1 comparison....
Old 09-15-2008, 07:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wonder what it would do on my LS3 headed LS7-441?

Was the increased airflow leaning the AFR?

Last edited by See5; 09-16-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

so big gains in the middle..

wished it held out to 7k somehow.. seems it might fall short on the top end.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Im sold!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

guess i'm just keeping my fast 90.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2000_SS

let me be the first to ask, because many more will, how does the Weiand compare to a ported FAST on a cathedral-port motor? and how easy will the Weiand be to port?
let me be the second, this is what I'm very interested in at this point... the intake better make better downlow power with the longer intake runner now lets see how it compares to a ported fast90 on a catherdral port for overall gains and I'll see what my decission is...

would I be naive to take this as a sign that this thing is finally going to come out?
Old 09-15-2008, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by svede1212
Same here, I can't play with the big motor guys just yet, but wonder how close it is to the claims in increase over and LS6 on a near stock LS1.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MastMotorsports

Below is an overlay of the Starr/Weiand manifold as compared to the Stock LS2 manifold.

The data above pretty much shows that the manifold helped the LS2 everywhere in the operating range. The gains were especially significant in the midrange where as much as 30 Ft.-Lb. of torque were gained. Peak power also increased approximately 14-15 HP.

This was not the extent of our testing. Many engine combinations have been tested throughout the week, but here is a solid representation of the affects of this manifold on a few crate engines that are offered by us. Mast Motorsports will continue to test and develop the latest LS Series engine technologies as they arrive to the aftermarket.
Would be interesting to see how this manifold carries power in higher rpms with a proper cam.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

^ agreed, i want to see this mani on a motor with ported stock heads and a matched cam and bolt-ons. we've ALL lost our perception on how stock motors perform
Old 09-15-2008, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
we've ALL lost our perception on how stock motors perform
No doubt many will look at that curve and say it just falls off at the end. I'd really like to see how well it carries. I'm sure it won't pull up top like a ported FAST, but at the price it might be a great option for the non-racer.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These gains are all on engine dynos only. So, the actual rwhp/rwtq increases will be less. Have to wait for some chassis dyno results with different head/cam combos.

Does this mean this intake is ready to be released or what???
Old 09-15-2008, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by svede1212

i agree my turbo will has went down the drain for a H/C setup but ill only be pushing it 65-6800 will this manifold be good? and yes def tell them to do one on stock ls1 or head and cammed
Old 09-15-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think the general consenses is pretty clear very cool finds, time to find out what a long list of people have been waiting patiently/impatiently for. LS1 with H/C with a dyno comparisons for LS6, StreetWarrior & Ported Fast90
Old 09-15-2008, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Interesting results. Looks like it would be a great bolt on for my TB SS.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Interesting results. Looks like it would be a great bolt on for my TB SS.
+1 to that, looking like it's better than the stock LS2 mani let alone the TBSS mani, lol
Old 09-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Launching!

:d:d^^^^^
Old 09-15-2008, 09:19 PM
traveling mod

Originally Posted by DVS99TRANS
+1 to that, looking like it's better than the stock LS2 mani let alone the TBSS mani, lol
um ya foo shoo
[IMG][/IMG]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weiand Street Warrior Intake Independent Engine Dyno Testing By Mast Motorsports