Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

First timer with LS2 6.0L build

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First timer with LS2 6.0L build

well i finally decided that i want to ditch my stock motor in my chevy s10 for a LS2 motor. im kinda confused on the prices and where to get the parts at. im just wanting a stock build nothing fancy and trying to determine the price for everything. the GMpartsdirect website seems to be the best place to get the parts. but i cant seem to find the pistons and rods and crankshaft to build the bottom end or am i not searching long enought? i figure i might as well spend the money on aftermarket pistons and rods the prices for forged internals isnt too bad. the bottom end seems to be the biggest headache of the build. i might just buy a shortblock off of someone on here LOL ive got my brother who is a long time engine builder who will be helping me with the motor build. anyone possibly help me find crank/rods/etc? ive got the pricing for the cam, timing chain, front/rear covers/valley cover/ intake/ fuel rail, but injectors??? 42lb injectors for the LS2 right? i know im missing a bunch more. heads are kinda an estimate ballpark. any Do's and Dont's to the build? i dont want to be too dependent on my brother building the motor.

thx in advance

Brandon
Old 02-06-2009, 01:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

TSP for rotating assembly should be a good start...
Old 02-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Launching!

I think you'll find that GMPartsDirect advertised price seems reasonable, but once you go to check out they kill you on the shipping, and its real difficult to return. You may want to consider a used, low mile engine you can get complete from a donor with everything you need (PCM, accessory drive, ect.). If your not sure what you need and where to get it a complete drop out will have everything there for you and you can go from there. Check out some local salvage yards. If you are set on going new you should call one of the sponsors Texas Speed, or SD Parts etc. Their people are very knowlegable and will shoot you straight. Good Luck!!
Old 02-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Teching In

If you are interested I'm removing my engine from my 07 C6 A6 and it's for sale
Complete, BPP 64.5cc, 3x heads, Comp cam , 431 rwhp with stock 33lb injectors
and stock intake, 465 rwhp with Fast 92mm and ported TB.
I'm almost finished with my Katech 427, it's still in the car and running.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

thanks guys. yeah i found someone to get me a deal on a crank. brand new too. 68 RS it figures i hear ppl have problems with shipping and accurate part numbers to order. i hope if i buy parts from them that it wont be a big hassle.

Brandon
Old 02-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Teching In

honestly Diamond Pistons are the way to go for pistons. those stock Heads will do great if you have someone port them that knows what they are doing. if you want to go after market heads AFR is the way to go. however what ever you do make sure you have someone tune PCU for the most potential out of the air/ fuel mixture. do plan on draging the truck
Old 02-08-2009, 03:29 AM

i have an 05 gto 6.0 with trans for 6000 thats with the ecu clutch ac cond,everything for setup!
Old 02-08-2009, 08:43 AM
9 Second Club

If your not planning on any power adders on this setup the stock rotating assembly can be pretty stout. My LS1 took everything I threw at it in an N.A. application. In fact my current LS2 build will again utilize a stock rotating assembly with the same N.A. purposes in mind.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Hi everyone im new to this site and just getting into the lsx thing, to answer you question about where to find complete motors, call "LKQ" i am a buyer for the company and we have locations all over the country! LKQ will also ship to your door. hope this helps you out good luck!!
Old 02-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

If you are looking for upgrade parts call Seth at Hinson Super cars and he will set you up!

Quick Reply: First timer with LS2 6.0L build