Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

ls2 to ls3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls2 to ls3?

So i cracked the LS2 block on my GTO. Plan is to put an Ls3 block in there.

Besides the pistons should everything just be a direct swap? Im thinking i only need to buy new pistons and the bare block? crank, rods, cam, water pump, oil pump, exc should move right over?

not sure if I will have any issue using a crank with a 24x reluctor wheel. I'm moving the ls2 cps to the ls3 block.

going to run it w/ 317 heads also. not changing the heads and intake.

Last edited by tomhGTO; 03-20-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tomhGTO
So i cracked the LS2 block on my GTO. Plan is to put an Ls3 block in there.

Besides the pistons should everything just be a direct swap? Im thinking i only need to buy new pistons and the bare block? crank, rods, cam, water pump, oil pump, exc should move right over?

not sure if I will have any issue using a crank with a 24x reluctor wheel. I'm moving the ls2 cps to the ls3 block.

going to run it w/ 317 heads also. not changing the heads and intake.
You have it right. Should really explore getting the crank re-balanced for the slightly heavier pistons too.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Everything should swap over perfectly. I'd probably change over the rod and main bolts to ARP and the head bolts too if they weren't already ARP.

The CPS will fit in the same spot whether or not it's black(24x) or grey(58x). Since you have a 24x car you'll want to swap it over for sure, as well as the 2x cam sensor and cam gear.

One more thing: for a GTO, you'll have to plug the dipstick hole in the block, too.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris442
One more thing: for a GTO, you'll have to plug the dipstick hole in the block, too.
Ah good call, i wouldnt have known that one.

BTW your coming over to help w/ all this install, right Chriss =D
Old 03-22-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris442
Everything should swap over perfectly. I'd probably change over the rod and main bolts to ARP and the head bolts too if they weren't already ARP.

The CPS will fit in the same spot whether or not it's black(24x) or grey(58x). Since you have a 24x car you'll want to swap it over for sure, as well as the 2x cam sensor and cam gear.

If you cant track down the plug to block the LS3 dispstick hole, then knock the LS2 plug out, use a punch or something the right diameter to expand it a little if it is too loose, and install it in the LS3 with some loctite.