Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cam Sensor Problem

Old 03-23-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cam Sensor Problem

I am swapping a LS2 shortblock into my 98 Trans Am, only a few days from completion I decided to test out the Katech conversion wiring harness I bought and make sure it was long enough ect. Well I went to plug it into the cam position sensor and it wouldn't go it. Here is my problem.

Am I supposed to swap my old cam position sensor in the new LS2 cover or is this the wrong connector on my harness?
Old 03-24-2009, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Has anyone had this problem? I checked my old sensor and its the same as the one on my LS2 as well so I'm thinking its the wrong connector on the harness.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its not designed to plug directly into the cam sensor. It is designed to plug into the short jumper harness that comes with the front cover.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

well that would explain it, do you guys sell those seperatly or is that a dealership item?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok now I realize what happened, I never got the cam extension when I bought my motor only the cover itself so I never knew about it until now. Is there any alternative that I may have aside from buying a new timing cover just so I can get this damn piece? Could I just remove that little plastic tab inside the current sensor and plug right into it? I can't find anyone who just sells that sensor extension piece.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroitmuscle
Ok now I realize what happened, I never got the cam extension when I bought my motor only the cover itself so I never knew about it until now. Is there any alternative that I may have aside from buying a new timing cover just so I can get this damn piece? Could I just remove that little plastic tab inside the current sensor and plug right into it? I can't find anyone who just sells that sensor extension piece.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem here, but why don't you just use the connector on your LS1 harness? I have an LS2 with that same cam sensor connector on the front cover, and I have the MSD 6010 box which is basically made for an LS1, so it has the LS1 connector for the cam sensor.
What I did was lengthen the wires by 3Ft by soldering in an extension in each lead and using heat shrink on the joints and REVERSING the A and C terminals at the sensor. Plugs right in and works perfect. The conversion harness that's sold just reverses these two wires...the center ground wire stays the same. Hope this helps, Ron
Old 03-25-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought the harness instead of extending it myself, unfortunatly I didn't realize that the stock cam sensor has a small harness coming out of it and this is where the Katech unit plugs in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cam Sensor Problem