Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Help with DOD Cam Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with DOD Cam Swap

ok guys im doing a cam and head swap on my 08 5.3 with DOD. i got everything buttoned back up and cranked her up for the first time.... Nothing it fires but wont continue to run... i know that the first and last cylinder on the driver side of the engine are firing because the header primaries are hot after cranking a few time. on the passenger side it is the opposite the middle two primaries are hot and the outer two are cold... any ideas guy ... did the lifter trays get put in wrong.....i will try to trouble shoot it more tommorow after work but thats all i have for know
Old 03-24-2009, 10:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know that DOD (GM calls it AFM) lifters can not handle cams with lift above .500" when deactivated, just an FYI....

What cam did you install?
Old 03-25-2009, 03:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by POPO1984
ok guys im doing a cam and head swap on my 08 5.3 with DOD. i got everything buttoned back up and cranked her up for the first time.... Nothing it fires but wont continue to run... i know that the first and last cylinder on the driver side of the engine are firing because the header primaries are hot after cranking a few time. on the passenger side it is the opposite the middle two primaries are hot and the outer two are cold... any ideas guy ... did the lifter trays get put in wrong.....i will try to trouble shoot it more tommorow after work but thats all i have for know
Did you retain the DOD lifters, or put a set of stock lifters in with new retainers/trays?

What lift is the cam?

??
Old 03-25-2009, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

i have the stock lifters. the cam is a 218 226 562 565 113 lsa
Old 03-25-2009, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

that is the stock dod lifters
Old 03-25-2009, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

should have used factory ls1,2,3 lifters and retainers then tuned out the afm/dod
Old 03-25-2009, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

well i know several people who have used the dod lifters and trays. but do you think this is my problem
Old 03-25-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Sounds like you have a problem with the valley manifold. If the DOD valley tray isn't plugged in you will only get the four cylinders that have normal lifters to fire. The PCM will shut off any cylinder that the solenoid for the DOD lifters doesn't work on.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zippy
Sounds like you have a problem with the valley manifold. If the DOD valley tray isn't plugged in you will only get the four cylinders that have normal lifters to fire. The PCM will shut off any cylinder that the solenoid for the DOD lifters doesn't work on.
Actually, begging to differ, its the other way around. The ECM needs to energise the DOD solenoids to deactivate the cylinders. It is rather fussy about when it does that (like it needs above a certain level of manifold & brake booster vacuum). If the DOD is not plugged in, DOD/AFM wont work.

It sounds like the problem here may be that the DOD cylinder valves are stuck open (unlikely if there is no backfiring) or stuck closed.

For example if there is considerably oil leakage (been known to happen - the valves are "controlled" leak units) past the DOD solenoid valves, then the Deac lifters may be deactivating the DOD cylinders. It only takes about 15psi to deac them.

At 0.565" lift, this is on the edge of the deac plunger stroke. I dont recall exactly what we measured it at, but that is close.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

ok guys i think the problem is that i ave the lifter in the wrong slots im getting the ls7 lifters and a ls2 valley tray.... i hope this solves my problem
Old 03-26-2009, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Ok guys i got it running. the trottle body blade was stuck closed i took it out and lubed it up and polished it up with a dremel tool and it cranked right up... throwing codes p0300, p1516, p2101, p0300 again
Old 04-12-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rsz288
Actually, begging to differ, its the other way around. The ECM needs to energise the DOD solenoids to deactivate the cylinders. It is rather fussy about when it does that (like it needs above a certain level of manifold & brake booster vacuum). If the DOD is not plugged in, DOD/AFM wont work.

It sounds like the problem here may be that the DOD cylinder valves are stuck open (unlikely if there is no backfiring) or stuck closed.

For example if there is considerably oil leakage (been known to happen - the valves are "controlled" leak units) past the DOD solenoid valves, then the Deac lifters may be deactivating the DOD cylinders. It only takes about 15psi to deac them.

At 0.565" lift, this is on the edge of the deac plunger stroke. I dont recall exactly what we measured it at, but that is close.

I just got around to reading this. You may beg to differ all you want, but if the D.O.D. isn't plugged in and the tune isn't changed to turn it off, those cylinders will be turned off by the pcm. I know this because I have done the swap. I have done a conversion on a G8 to get rid of the D.O.D. lifters. Even if you are keeping them you must make sure the valley tray is pluuged in. Check with someone who has access to GM Dealerworld and Service Information (basicly new GM manuals). The codes set for each solenoid not activated will shut down that cylinder's fuel injector. Take a stock G8 and unplug it's D.O.D. valley tray (where the solenoids are) and you will have a 4 cylinder G8. In his truck codes 3401, 3425, 3441, and 3449 all will do this.

As for the problem at hand, is/was this just a reduced engine power mode problem?
Old 04-12-2009, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by POPO1984
well i know several people who have used the dod lifters and trays. but do you think this is my problem
you can not put the lifters or the trays in the wrong place they are slotted and will only go in one way.

Quick Reply: Help with DOD Cam Swap