Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

402 issues: SES light, dies at idle, strong gas smell

Old 04-02-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 402 issues: SES light, dies at idle, strong gas smell

I have an LS2 402 in my Z28 and have run into a few issues in the last week that I would like to get some opinions on.

The SES light has just recently come on. The car drives completely normal at all speeds when accelerating, however, once I take my foot of the gas and allow the car to idle the idle becomes really "bumpy". The car is set to idle at 900 but it will drop down to 200, surge to 1100, drop down to 400, etc. until I give it a little gas. When I come to a stop the idle drops so low that it will kill the car 75% of the time; I can prevent this from happening if I give it a little bit of gas to prevent the idle from dropping. When the car starts up or the 25% of the time that the car does not die at a standstill there is an extremely strong gasoline smell. I had true duals on dumped under the car through bullet mufflers for a while and my exhaust now runs out the back through a 3-chamber muffler and it smells stronger than anything my car has ever produced before. About a week before I started experiencing these issues my serpentine belt had randomly fallen off my car in my driveway overnight (I don't know if these two issues are related or not, but I thought I'd mention it)

There are only a few things that I think could have caused this directly outside of typical car maintenance issues. First, I went from a 3in true dual setup with bullet mufflers to a 3in catback w/ a 3 chamber muffler. We also had a pretty bad rain and snow storm here and I was forced to drive home from work in it and hit a flooded spot in the road (6 inches of water probably).

My spark plugs have about 8-10k miles on them as do the fuel injectors. I thought it could be the factory 100K mile fuel pump taking a dump on me too. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Old 04-03-2009, 02:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost sounds like you might have a vacuum leak some where.. My car was doing close to the same thing after I put the built tranny in.. The new tranny had a vacuum modulater on it that had to be hooked to the cars vacuum lines. Well I forgot to tie wrap the hoses to the connection and I had a vacuum leak that was causing my car to surge badly at idle and sometimes kill. Good luck and hope this help..
Old 04-03-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

what was the code for the ses light?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

I have not had the SES code checked yet. I do not have a scan tool and have not had the time. However, today I noticed that there is an actual exhaust smoke coming out of the muffler. So, in addition to the strong gas smell there is also a fairly thick smoke, it looks somewhat like a car that starts up on a cold day does, only, it isn't cold outside =( I will report back what I find with a scan tool when I am able to get the time to get it scanned, I will also check out the vacuum lines. Until then does anyone else have any ideas? I wi
Old 04-04-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Bump just in case anyone out there today has any info
Old 04-04-2009, 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
We also had a pretty bad rain and snow storm here and I was forced to drive home from work in it and hit a flooded spot in the road (6 inches of water probably).
First you need to check the code. Second, driving through 6 inches of standing water is never good; especially for a car with a lower air deflector and intake design like a 4th gen F-body. The motor may have ingested some water. I would check the oil and entire intake system for water. I would also check the plugs, wires and coils for moisture as well.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

How would I check for water and if I find it do I just change the oil and dry the manifold off or what?
Old 04-07-2009, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

If the motor ingested water the oil would look like chocolate milk. Check the air filter, bellow and inside of the MAF for water as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 402 issues: SES light, dies at idle, strong gas smell