Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L92 Power Handling

Old 06-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default L92 Power Handling

What can the stock L92 parts handle as far as power? I picked up an L92 that had the somewhat common valve problem which took out a piston/rod and head. The crank looks great but I will have it polished just in case and the cylinder only needs a hone. My question is, I am at the point where I do one of the following:

1) Buy 1 stock piston/rod set-up and do a stock rebuild, maybe some upgraded rod bolts
2) Buy 8 new rods/pistons, aftermarket and keep the stock crank
3) Buy a complete rotating assembly and rebuild aftermarket

I would like to keep this somewhat on a budget and I really don't care one way or another about stroking it. Since one head was trashed, I was going to pick up a set of CNC heads and run the VVT with wither Comps new phaser cam kit, or Mast. Down the road, I *might* have some fun with it and throw a small power adder on it, but nothing crazy.

So what are the safe power limits on the stock parts? I think I have read a couple times that the LS cranks are good to pretty high HP levels and some people have kept the crank and just done rods/pistons. Any input or thoughts on which route to go?
Old 06-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Ok...LS3?
Old 06-01-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Budget? Forged pistons,stock rods, arp rod bolts, and have it balanced. If you got another 4-500 bucks then do a set of rods. The strength of stock L92 heads are about the same as stock LS1/2/6 heads. Get a nicer set of valves (hollow stem) for the l92's
Old 06-02-2009, 12:34 AM
Teching In

Well I was going to run a set of CNC'd L92's from either TSP or SD since the dropped valve trashed one of the heads.

Since I have one destroyed piston,

and one bent rod,

At a bare minimum I need to buy 1 stock rod and piston. Or do I buy 1 stock rod and all new forged pistons? Or forged pistons and rods using the stock crank? Or a complete forged rotating assembly?

I would like to stick to one of the first two and save the $1000 on the crank because I feel that if I am realistic with myself, an all forged rotating assembly might be way overkill for my power levels. With my current LT4 build, I made the mistake of going WAY overboard on the engine, and never even came close to the power levels that it was built to handle...Oliver rods, Oliver billit mains, Cola crank, JE custom forged nitrous pistons, and the list goes on...

But what are the stock pistons/rods good for? What is the stock crank good for?
Old 06-02-2009, 02:17 AM
On The Tree

what is the somewhat common valve problem?
Old 06-02-2009, 04:45 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This all comes down to how much money and power you want to make. Buying a cheap set of forged rods for around $350 and put in a set of pistons at the same time is the best budget and longevity option. A 4 inch crank will make more power.

The stock crank is good for more power than you sound like you will be throwing at it. they tend to flex around 1000 horsepower, but I've seen others push more through them.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mach1
The guy I got the motor from works at a local dealership and he said that there was a run of the heads that had an issue with either the retainer or locks breaking, causing the valve to drop into the cylinder. This motor was the 3rd Escalade they had done at that dealership. Maybe common isn't a great word to use, but apparently it isn't just a fluke.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
This all comes down to how much money and power you want to make. Buying a cheap set of forged rods for around $350 and put in a set of pistons at the same time is the best budget and longevity option. A 4 inch crank will make more power.

The stock crank is good for more power than you sound like you will be throwing at it. they tend to flex around 1000 horsepower, but I've seen others push more through them.
That is the kind of information I am looking for. I figured that the crank was the strong part of the system and would be fine for my plans, if I am realistic with myself.

What is a good set of rods to run? I have not seen much for less than $600 or so...I was looking at the Compstar rods, or eagle H-beams with Diamond pistons.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FaSSt9602
The guy I got the motor from works at a local dealership and he said that there was a run of the heads that had an issue with either the retainer or locks breaking, causing the valve to drop into the cylinder. This motor was the 3rd Escalade they had done at that dealership. Maybe common isn't a great word to use, but apparently it isn't just a fluke.
Was this motor for sale in arizona. I too have seen several with the same problem up for sale. I'd sure like to know specifically whats letting go?
Old 06-02-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mach1

I have built two 6.0 motors that had dropped valves here. One was sleeved and the other had the head and piston replaced.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cam75w/ls1
I have built two 6.0 motors that had dropped valves here. One was sleeved and the other had the head and piston replaced.
what cam/spring setup? ls3 or l92 intake valves?
Old 06-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Teching In

I think it is the locks that were letting go. Must have gotten a bad group of locks because I guess it is only an issue in a certain run of the engines. I am not sure if that bleeds over into some of the complete heads available from GM or not...
Old 06-02-2009, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

I was about to say bad locks myself.

As far as max power the heads can handle - multiply the cfm per intake port * 2.05, which will give you a max HP reading without a power booster. L92 heads flow well over 300cfm stock - have seen a lot of 6.2L builds in the 550 to 575hp range with stock rotating assembly. No idea of durability besides the dyno pulls though.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone else have any information on this " L92 valve drop" problem? I wonder if it might be valve float dislodging the locks. Are the retainers snapped or cracked on any of the examples so far? The retainers aren't really L92 specific and have had years of reliable use. The only thing L92 specific would be the larger valve that might lend to valve float.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:15 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

That is the kind of information I am looking for. I figured that the crank was the strong part of the system and would be fine for my plans, if I am realistic with myself.

What is a good set of rods to run? I have not seen much for less than $600 or so...I was looking at the Compstar rods, or eagle H-beams with Diamond pistons.
If you are trying to do this on a budget buy a set of SCAT I beams for $300 and put a set of forged pistons in the car. SCAT sells them in stock length for either a .945 or .927 pin. They'll be more than adequate for the amount of power you'll be putting down.

The crank is not an issue of strength, but rather power. You obviously aren't trying to set any crazy records so a stock crank would be fine with the power you are going to be making. The thing is do you want to spend the money on the added power of a 4 inch crank? That is up to you to decide.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Teching In

If you are trying to do this on a budget buy a set of SCAT I beams for $300 and put a set of forged pistons in the car. SCAT sells them in stock length for either a .945 or .927 pin. They'll be more than adequate for the amount of power you'll be putting down.

The crank is not an issue of strength, but rather power. You obviously aren't trying to set any crazy records so a stock crank would be fine with the power you are going to be making. The thing is do you want to spend the money on the added power of a 4 inch crank? That is up to you to decide.
Realistically, all other things equal, what kind of gains are available going to a 4" stroke?
Old 06-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The stunningman
Anyone else have any information on this " L92 valve drop" problem? I wonder if it might be valve float dislodging the locks. Are the retainers snapped or cracked on any of the examples so far? The retainers aren't really L92 specific and have had years of reliable use. The only thing L92 specific would be the larger valve that might lend to valve float.
The guy I bought my engine from actually pulled this one from the Escalade. The service manager had him pull the head send it back to GM. I *think* he said that the locks themselves cracked and cause the failure, but I can't verify that since I don't have any of the damaged pieces, minus the aftermath of the piston/rod...
Old 06-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Teching In

I got one the same way. My L92 broke the valves for #7 and sent debri into #3 also, but rods were still good. I put in two new GM pistons @ $26 each and a new head (complete) for $500. I just need a harness and a few more things to put it into a G-Body.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:13 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Realistically, all other things equal, what kind of gains are available going to a 4" stroke?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...mm-tb-mix.html

That is the closest comparison you are going to find. There was also an increase in the bore size, but everything, but the bottom end is the same.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Teching In

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...mm-tb-mix.html

That is the closest comparison you are going to find. There was also an increase in the bore size, but everything, but the bottom end is the same.
I guess it is tough to see a true side by side comparison with a stroker. Even this guy really did change quite a few things that would free up a little more power. An electric WP, under drive pulleys, bigger intake and TB, 42lb injectors, and even the addition of a K&N filter will all make little differences. Being that these are supporting mods for a larger motor they obviously make sense, but I wonder how much of those gains come from the supporting mods and how much really comes from the 56 extra cubes? Also, being that I would be going from 378 to 402 only gaining 24 cubes, would the HP/$ make sense? I do understand that the potential for more power is there, but...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: L92 Power Handling