Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L92 to LS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default L92 to LS?

So I have been spending hours reading about LS motors and had decided to go with a 5.3 set up for a conversion in my s-10 but I had 2 complete L92's fall into my lap. There is no way I intend to use vvt in the motor for this build, I know its great technology but im not using it so im looking for info on motor parts because now im back at point A and kinda lost. I just wanted to clarify what cam/timing chain set up/ oil pump i would need to buy to remove that VVT stuff, and also, what other parts have to be swapped if any? I will be buying new lifters, push rods and valves, pistons and rods. I'll be running a D-1SC set up and I am getting frustrated because I cant find recommendations on a shop in my area that is familiar with LS motors so im at a loss for a local resource of information.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dimetweaker
So I have been spending hours reading about LS motors and had decided to go with a 5.3 set up for a conversion in my s-10 but I had 2 complete L92's fall into my lap. There is no way I intend to use vvt in the motor for this build, I know its great technology but im not using it so im looking for info on motor parts because now im back at point A and kinda lost. I just wanted to clarify what cam/timing chain set up/ oil pump i would need to buy to remove that VVT stuff, and also, what other parts have to be swapped if any? I will be buying new lifters, push rods and valves, pistons and rods. I'll be running a D-1SC set up and I am getting frustrated because I cant find recommendations on a shop in my area that is familiar with LS motors so im at a loss for a local resource of information.
To eliminate the VVT setup you need a non-VVT cam timing sprocket and front cover, in addition to a non-VVT cam. I obtained a used LS3 cam sprocket and front cover from Lingenfelter for a decent price, and custom ordered a LS3 style cam and it seems to work just fine. I'm also using an LS6 style oil pump and it gets good oil pressure.

You don't need to swap out the lifters unless your motor has displacement on demand. You will need to swap out the valley cover if you have DOD as well. Same goes with the valves, pistons, and push rods unless you feel you have to. I went with the lighter LS3 valves in my build because I was concerned about valve float, and Patrick G recommended longer push rods with my particular cam.