Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

C5r heads with ls7 intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation C5r heads with ls7 intake manifold

I know the bolt patterns are off, and that the c5r ports are slightly bigger, but for the most part they line up pretty good. Will a stock ls7 intake be able to be ported to match the head ports perfectly?

Can the c5r heads be tapped for the ls7 intake bolt down pattern?
Old 06-12-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone?
Old 06-12-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe it can be done, I think I've seen it before somewhere, just can't remember where.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

can you find the thread, cause ive searched, and i find some threads, but they dont say how to.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

ask richard at WCCH, i think he should know.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

does anyone know how these heads compare to the best heads on the market right now lets say all pro wcch heads, tfs, afr, etp? or is it up to the porter?
Old 06-15-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

with the cost that c5r heads are, why would you put a ls7 intake on them?...i have a set of c5r heads, and after the money i am going to put into them, i wont put a "restrictor plate" above them. why not get a sheetmetal intake and know it will fit?
Old 06-15-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by restoman45
with the cost that c5r heads are, why would you put a ls7 intake on them?...i have a set of c5r heads, and after the money i am going to put into them, i wont put a "restrictor plate" above them. why not get a sheetmetal intake and know it will fit?
If its a street driven car, I can see why he would want to use an LS7 manifold. If its just a straight track car, yea, i sheetmetal intake would do wonders, but the LS7 manifold has been proven to flow damn well (even comparable to sheetmetals, while having more low-mid torque) up to 6800 rpms where a sheetmetal will start to really takeover.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by themack56
I know the bolt patterns are off, and that the c5r ports are slightly bigger, but for the most part they line up pretty good. Will a stock ls7 intake be able to be ported to match the head ports perfectly?

Can the c5r heads be tapped for the ls7 intake bolt down pattern?
LS7 intake...why bother getting C5R heads then, just get some LS7 heads. LS7 intake can't feed LS7 heads as it is (to their max potential anyway).

If you have money to spend for C5R heads, get an ITB intake like the Harrop. Harrop sells an adaptor plate for like $230.00, you can probably use it with a little modding. They also got better flow numbers with use of the adaptor plate. The Harrop will crush the LS7 intake and any sheet metal intake too, plus it'll idle close to stock rpm, even a big cube radical cammed set-up.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS6427
LS7 intake...why bother getting C5R heads then, just get some LS7 heads. LS7 intake can't feed LS7 heads as it is (to their max potential anyway).

If you have money to spend for C5R heads, get an ITB intake like the Harrop. Harrop sells an adaptor plate for like $230.00, you can probably use it with a little modding. They also got better flow numbers with use of the adaptor plate. The Harrop will crush the LS7 intake and any sheet metal intake too, plus it'll idle close to stock rpm, even a big cube radical cammed set-up.

its a street driven car, i like the harrop but how am i going to get fresh air in there? the airbox is a restriction, if i dont run it, it will be sucking hot *** air all day long. some test actually show that the harrop intake lost power over a fast due to the shitty *** airbox.

im geting the c5r heads ported alrealy for under 1k, im not an idiot, im not going to spend 2500+ per head then on top of that spend on getting them cncd ported.

i was planning on using the lsxr 102mm with some modifications of course, ported as well, i know they wont flow to there potential, but sheetmetal is out of the question. im still debating about the harrop, until i see how am i going to get cold air in there i cant buy it.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We can machine the C5R heads to fit the LS7 intake bolt pattern, no problem. Lining up the ports is possible if there has not been much if any port work done. We'll need to see the heads up close to know for sure.

Richard
Old 06-17-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
We can machine the C5R heads to fit the LS7 intake bolt pattern, no problem. Lining up the ports is possible if there has not been much if any port work done. We'll need to see the heads up close to know for sure.

Richard

thank you for answering this question. what kind of power can be made with these heads on a 427 with a fast lsxr ported ? i know it also depends on the cam, you think 600whp is possible?
Old 06-17-2009, 01:12 AM
TECH Addict

thank you for answering this question. what kind of power can be made with these heads on a 427 with a fast lsxr ported ? i know it also depends on the cam, you think 600whp is possible?
It would all be speculation. I wouldn't guess 600rwhp unless you have ALL the goodies to back it up and a very light drivetrain. You honestly probably won't make much more than just a set of LS7 heads, but like Richard said, you'd have to send him the heads to get them matched up to an LS7 intake. Powerwise, i don't think anyone would really know, since not many people have put an LS7 intake on C5R heads. Whats going in the rest of the motor components wise? Whats the setup?
Old 06-17-2009, 01:54 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

600 RWHP with an M6...if you don't make that much someone messed something up pretty bad.

C6 Z06's are making well passed 600 RWHP with porting, cam and exhaust upgrades and a tune.

But yeah, that LSXR intake will be your weak link.

It'll be quite easy to make a cold air intake with the Harrop, especially for the WS6 hoods.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

most likely 1 7/8 stepped to 2 inch. or i might just got full 2 inch with 2 cut outs at the y pipe just so my exhaust wont be a restricion. electric water pump, underdrive pully. im planning of going back to an a4 since i want this to be consisten when i do go to tracks on occasions. i think it will be in the cam and head matching. the intake will be the fast lsxr will be my intake.

why will the intake be my restricion if you said that z06s are making 600+with cam and head upgrade porting tune and exhaust, and they are using an ls7 intake?
Old 06-17-2009, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

The stock LS7 intake is limited to about 600rwhp (6speed), they just won't move enough air regardless of components used. I have seen too much dyno datalogging data for ANYONE to claim even 610rwhp w/ a 427 using that intake and have me believe it. Add to that dyno #s are relative and WAY too easy to manipulate. Move the dyno's AIT closer to the exhaust and watch the #s climb CF has some good info, but it's also full of vendors that have people believing they can get an easy 600rwhp from cam/heads/bolt-ons. U can, but only w/ about 10% of the people that CLAIM they can do it.

Depending on where u are, believe none of what u read and half of what u see, in the words of a friend, "I am just trying to prevent the spread of mis-information"
Old 06-17-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol so true.

so is it a safe assumption that the new fast for the ls7 102mm, will move enough air to make 600 ported ofcourse and matched to the heads. i know there is alot more options other then c5r heads, but its a steal at the price.

Originally Posted by JUNK
The stock LS7 intake is limited to about 600rwhp (6speed), they just won't move enough air regardless of components used. I have seen too much dyno datalogging data for ANYONE to claim even 610rwhp w/ a 427 using that intake and have me believe it. Add to that dyno #s are relative and WAY too easy to manipulate. Move the dyno's AIT closer to the exhaust and watch the #s climb CF has some good info, but it's also full of vendors that have people believing they can get an easy 600rwhp from cam/heads/bolt-ons. U can, but only w/ about 10% of the people that CLAIM they can do it.

Depending on where u are, believe none of what u read and half of what u see, in the words of a friend, "I am just trying to prevent the spread of mis-information"
Old 06-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Suffice to say you'll make a lot of power with that combination. Be sure to take into consideration the small chamber size of the C5R heads.

Good luck,

Richard
Old 06-17-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
Suffice to say you'll make a lot of power with that combination. Be sure to take into consideration the small chamber size of the C5R heads.

Good luck,

Richard
when i get them most likely ill be taking them to you so u can work ur magic. i believe the heads are 42cc right? can these be opened up to have like a compression in the 12s? i plan on running e85, so the extra octane wont be an issue. im in the valley as well Richard so as soon as i get the heads ill head over so you can take a look at them and see what we can do!
Old 06-17-2009, 12:58 PM
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by JUNK
The stock LS7 intake is limited to about 600rwhp (6speed), they just won't move enough air regardless of components used. I have seen too much dyno datalogging data for ANYONE to claim even 610rwhp w/ a 427 using that intake and have me believe it.
Hi Junk, may I inquire what data you have seen that leads you to that conclusion?

While the factory manifold may be less than ideal for some applications, we've not had issues with it posing much of a restriction. While larger than stock displacement, a stock manifold/TB managed mid 6XX's SAE with moderate compression & HR valve train. A more race oriented build would have certainly surpassed 700rw SAE. By the dimensions & results it would seem that the head is the restriction more often than not.

If you do not mind sharing I am still curious what about the manifold people feel is going to restrict them to 600rwhp or less.

does anyone know how these heads compare to the best heads on the market right now lets say all pro wcch heads, tfs, afr, etp? or is it up to the porter?
Most definitely dependent upon the machine work and port work. I would have some anxiety about why a set of heads like that was being sold for next to nothing. Having WCCH check or alter the work will be money well spent. If possible, it might be worth paying for an inspection prior to purchase.

Quick Reply: C5r heads with ls7 intake manifold