Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L76 cam questions (dod)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default L76 cam questions (dod)

Can anyone explain the DOD set up to me a little bit. I was wondering if a regular LSX cam would fit into my car or would I need a special cam. I know if I rip out the DOD system (tempting) I can run whatever cam I want. I've heard that the cam is the same it just needs to stay under a certain lift height. I want to toss a LS6 cam in there since they are cheap and will not effect the sound or drivablity. So will an LS6 cam fit in my L76 G8 GT? If not what would I have to change?
Old 07-09-2009, 06:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The L76 has 8 normal lifters and 8 AFM (collapsible) lifters.
The stock AFM cam used in L76 also has slightly taller cam lobes on 4 cylinders compared to the 4 normal cylinders.
"AFM cylinders have slightly different grind ( a bit taller) to accomodate additional compliance of AFM parts --intent is lift event equivalence."

So IMO either keep the AFM lifters and get a special AFM (DOD) cam to suit....with specs within the maximum lift allowable by the lifters.

Or

Unbolt the heads, take out the AFM lifters, remove all the AFM hardware, then run almost any LS type camshaft you want.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

Thank you for a real explanation. That's what I needed to know. If I am gonna rip out the DOD stuff I'm going with a big stick. I'll have to look for a DOD cam then, thanks.

Quick Reply: L76 cam questions (dod)