Go Back   LS1TECH > LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7 PERFORMANCE > Generation IV Internal Engine
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Generation IV Internal Engine
2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9
Sponsored by
ERL Performance

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-21-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now
 
1NKRED1BLE's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 54
Default 500 hp on "Big Mutha Thumpr"

i just picked up the engine n tranny last night, but as many others b4 me it seems to be a lq4. i pulled the spark plug to check if the piston top was dished or flat but as i ran a screw driver over the top it kinda felt dished but on another board somebody had posted some pics of their flat lq9 pistons vs the dished lq4's and the ones look alot more like their flat lq9 pistons it "supposely" came out out of a 06 silverado ss truck, so it looks like im going to have to do a little bit more research to find out exaclty if i have a lq9 or lq4. I picked both tranny and engine up for $1500 if its not a lq9 i can always turn around and sell it. Iwill post pics later tonight.

i originally planned on going with a bb 454 that i intended on stroking to a 496, the reason for this was 1. i wanted a loud abnoxious chopping idle and 2 because i wanted the hit the magical 500hp mark.

As i did some research and asked a few questions i was assured by a few ppl that i could achieve my goals with a fuel injected motor, so since i found this deal i pulled the trigger. But now I am left with a few questions and hope that you guys can help me out figuring out the solution to my problem.

does any body know what it will take take to to get the
comp cam "Big Mutha Thumpr' cam in there???? I know its a huge cam and there are better and easier ways to achieve my hp goal, but like most people in this world, id like to have my cake and eat it too. I definetly WANT to have a louuddddddddddd RUFFFFFFFF iddle but at the same time i would love to get on the gas peddle and know that i can hit 500 hp when i feel like it.
here are the cam specs


BIG MUTHA’ THUMPR™ - Street/strip, needs 9.5:1 CR, 2800+ stall, intake, gears, & headers, very rough idle.
2600 to 6800

54-602-11
291THR9
291 311
235 249
.573 .558
109°


Is it feasable to reach 500 hp with this particular cam N/A?

would it be easier to just port out the stock 317 heads or to swap to the l92's to gain the extra horse power?

is it even possible to run this cam with the l92's???? any feed back would be greatly appreciated

(like i said i know they are other ways of doing it but i want the guaranteed sound and i would love to achieve the 500 hp call me hard headed)
______________

what you guys say is it possible?
1NKRED1BLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now
 
xpndbl3's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 23
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: orland park, IL
Posts: 1,573
Send a message via AIM to xpndbl3
Default

there are better cams out there, call up one of the sponsors and discuss your goals, i'm sure they'll set you up easily.
__________________
84 z28, carbed ls motor, th400 w/ brake, moser 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJayV10 View Post
No, like a woman you don't like the answers you are getting, so you ask the same thing a different way.
xpndbl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:28 AM   #3
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now
 
1NKRED1BLE's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 54
Default

I understand that they might be other cams out there that can help me achieve my goals better and easier but I'm not going to get the abnoxios roar I'm looking for. the challenge is getting as mutch hp as possible with this cam as possible.
1NKRED1BLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now
 
novaflash2002's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 50
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Billings, Mt
Posts: 612
Default

you can get more roar out of it with other cams. a xer287hr comp cam would give ya the noise and power your looking for. as far as the l92 heads go, u might want a different cam. i like the 317 heads, but if you get your hands on some 243s (almost the same as 317s, but have a 64 cc chamber, and the chamber is shaped different) it will make some good power.
__________________
They say that the ls1 was touched by the hand of god!
novaflash2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:02 AM   #5
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now
 
1NKRED1BLE's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaflash2002 View Post
you can get more roar out of it with other cams. a xer287hr comp cam would give ya the noise and power your looking for. as far as the l92 heads go, u might want a different cam. i like the 317 heads, but if you get your hands on some 243s (almost the same as 317s, but have a 64 cc chamber, and the chamber is shaped different) it will make some good power.
i know its more convenient to go with a different cam, but im set on using this one. Go with what you know right???
1NKRED1BLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:46 AM   #6
TECH Resident
2000 Chevrolet Camaro
 
blk00ss's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 50
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jasper, AL
Posts: 911
Default

How do you exactly know this cam? Sounds like you have never used it before, am I right? How about you listen to someone who has obvioulsy done this before? These engines aren't anything like an Sb or BB. If your looking to hit 500 you should have just bought a bare block and stroker crank, rods, pistons instead of worrying about what stock pistons you have. I'm sorry but you need to do a little more research before wasting your money.
__________________
Molon labe
blk00ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now
 
novaflash2002's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 50
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Billings, Mt
Posts: 612
Default

whats the reason you want to stick with the ***** thumpr
__________________
They say that the ls1 was touched by the hand of god!
novaflash2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
12 Second Club
1999 Chevrolet Camaro
 
WSsick's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 13
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: St. Peters, MO
Posts: 2,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaflash2002 View Post
whats the reason you want to stick with the ***** thumpr
sounds to me like he wants it to idle off its ***.

OP, youre gonna want a bump im compression if you want to have a hope of hitting 500. a custom grind cam is like $20 more, and it will suite your exact setup. plus, any cam that is in a car aimed at 500hp will idle like crazy. l92's are apparently a pretty tricky head to get to make real big power. theres a certain few people here that have found they like a certain degree split and a certain amount of overlap. look around, because they will make power if setup right.
__________________
-------------------------------
Bad Bowtie Productions
-------------------------------

LIKE BBP on Facebook!!!
WSsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now
 
Johny GTO's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 844
Default

i am not sure the Thumpr cams are compatible with the LS series engines (that includes the LQ4 and LQ9).

either way, listen to me. I understand you want the nastiest idle you can get. That is not a quality that the thumpr cams have exclusively to themselves. The "thump" and "lope" of a cam is an effect of its design. You should hear my cam. lol. I would challenge anyone to find a lopier and thumpier cam, good luck.

Like said, before you go buying a cam (that may not even fit and work in your engine) specifically for the sound with the hope that it still makes good power, take my advice. Get your setup figured out. Find out what motor you have, what your compression ratio is, etc. Find out what Heads you have. Let us know. Are you going to stroke it for sure? If you are, then you need to get your heads based on the size of the motor (stock 364CI or stroked 402CI). Once you have your heads, you then decide on your intake manifold. In your case, i would imagine either a Fast or the new Edelbrock Pro-Flow XT if it fits. If the Edelbrock doesnt fit, and you dont want to spend the coin on a fast (and cant find a used one), get a ported ls6 intake. Now that you have that, you buy the cam that fits your goals (where you want the power in the RPM range), and is designed with your heads and intake manifold in mind.

Listen to me.... DONT BUY A THUMPR CAM!!!!

Which do you think fits better.... A one size fits all rent a tux, or a designer tuxedo that is custom fitted, measured, cut, taloired, and made to fit your body perfectly??
Thats essentially what the comparison is between the Thumpr (or any off the shelf cam) as compared to custom designing you a cam??

PM me if you would like some more help and or advice. I will steer you right.
__________________
You toucha my car i breaka you face!

Last edited by MADMAN; 07-28-2009 at 06:40 AM..
Johny GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #10
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now
 
1NKRED1BLE's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny GTO View Post
i am not sure the Thumpr cams are compatible with the LS series engines (that includes the LQ4 and LQ9).

either way, listen to me. I understand you want the nastiest idle you can get. That is not a quality that the thumpr cams have exclusively to themselves. The "thump" and "lope" of a cam is an effect of its design. You should hear my cam. lol. I would challenge anyone to find a lopier and thumpier cam, good luck.

Like said, before you go buying a cam (that may not even fit and work in your engine) specifically for the sound with the hope that it still makes good power, take my advice. Get your setup figured out. Find out what motor you have, what your compression ratio is, etc. Find out what Heads you have. Let us know. Are you going to stroke it for sure? If you are, then you need to get your heads based on the size of the motor (stock 364CI or stroked 402CI). Once you have your heads, you then decide on your intake manifold. In your case, i would imagine either a Fast or the new Edelbrock Pro-Flow XT if it fits. If the Edelbrock doesnt fit, and you dont want to spend the coin on a fast (and cant find a used one), get a ported ls6 intake. Now that you have that, you buy the cam that fits your goals (where you want the power in the RPM range), and is designed with your heads and intake manifold in mind.

Listen to me.... DONT BUY A THUMPR CAM!!!!
Which do you think fits better.... A one size fits all rent a tux, or a designer tuxedo that is custom fitted, measured, cut, taloired, and made to fit your body perfectly??
Thats essentially what the comparison is between the Thumpr (or any off the shelf cam) as compared to custom designing you a cam??

PM me if you would like some more help and or advice. I will steer you right.

got the point

<<<< no thumpr cam for me

but i swear if i go an alternate route and im not happy, im hunting all of you guys down!!! thanks for the time you put into writting that detailed post, i greatly appreciated and im just starting with this so i believe its for me to listen to somebody that knows alot more then i do.

Last edited by MADMAN; 07-28-2009 at 06:41 AM..
1NKRED1BLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #11
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now
 
1NKRED1BLE's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaflash2002 View Post
you can get more roar out of it with other cams. a xer287hr comp cam would give ya the noise and power your looking for. as far as the l92 heads go, u might want a different cam. i like the 317 heads, but if you get your hands on some 243s (almost the same as 317s, but have a 64 cc chamber, and the chamber is shaped different) it will make some good power.


holy ****!! i just you tube that cam, youre right it does sound SEXXXYYYYYYY!!!

thats for the suggestion !!!!!
1NKRED1BLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #12
TECH Fanatic
2002 Chevrolet Camaro
 
tripblackls1's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 11
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: lancaster,ca
Posts: 1,153
Default

try the giant cam by futral
lol
__________________

boosted 4.8 pp317s ms3 proflo - full umi suspension -edlebrock coilovers- moser 9 inch -18x10.5 c6z06dd
6le seats + cf sail panel + cf targa roof
Quote:
Originally Posted by of my life
I do a lot of things that I probably should not
tripblackls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:01 PM   #13
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 6
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Schiller Park (NW burb of Chicago)
Posts: 2,311
Send a message via AIM to GreenBlood
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripblackls1 View Post
try the giant cam by futral
lol
__________________
2006 PBM GTO...AEM intake, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, C6 Motorsports, and a full 2.5 in H pipe catback with Spintech Super Pro Streets...
GreenBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #14
10 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now
 
Mean87SS's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 18
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edison, NJ
Posts: 1,320
Send a message via AIM to Mean87SS
Default

i hate my big cam
__________________
Chris
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/lehighvalley1/untitledsdigg.jpg
Mean87SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:16 PM   #15
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 15
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,151
Default

Heres what I've learned with my recent cam purchase...For the SAME price, you can get a custom ground BILLET cam (not all are, alot of custom cams are regrinds) made to your motor. Don't get ANYTHING but a custom speced cam, and I wouldn't go to a place like Futral or Thunder. There good, but not the best. Both are within 10 minutes from me. Also 10 minutes from me is Cam Motion. Arguably the best in the country, according to alot of magazines that feature them. I went and got my cam speced out for my motor, which is:

383 LS1
Wiesco custom dish pistons
Patriot Stage 3 LS6 heads
Scat rods
Eagle crank
LS6 intake
LS7 lifters
10.7:1
yada yada

I told them I want a cam that sounds NASTY and idles hard as a **** but I still need to drive it every day. Kipp reassured me that its possible to hit at least 500 at the wheels if not more, and still drive it everyday with the sound I want. He came back with a cam speced that sounded perfect for it.

234/236
.595/.595
110+4 LSA

I haven't finished the motor yet, but I managed to come across a car almost identical and he hit over 550 at the wheels. Only small differences like a couple thousanths more lift and such. Anyway, just get a custom one for sure. Best is to go to Cam Motion.
__________________
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=122833&dateline=12578  44648
squee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #16
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now
 
novaflash2002's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 50
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Billings, Mt
Posts: 612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NKRED1BLE View Post
holy ****!! i just you tube that cam, youre right it does sound SEXXXYYYYYYY!!!

thats for the suggestion !!!!!
you can listen to it right on compcams website also. if you do find a set of 243s and do minor porting im almost postive you will hit your hp mark. talk to frost on here (steve williams) great tuner.
__________________
They say that the ls1 was touched by the hand of god!
novaflash2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #17
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now
 
1NKRED1BLE's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaflash2002 View Post
you can listen to it right on compcams website also. if you do find a set of 243s and do minor porting im almost postive you will hit your hp mark. talk to frost on here (steve williams) great tuner.
i read somewhere that the 317's flow better then the 243???? is this false?
1NKRED1BLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #18
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now
 
1NKRED1BLE's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by squee View Post
Heres what I've learned with my recent cam purchase...For the SAME price, you can get a custom ground BILLET cam (not all are, alot of custom cams are regrinds) made to your motor. Don't get ANYTHING but a custom speced cam, and I wouldn't go to a place like Futral or Thunder. There good, but not the best. Both are within 10 minutes from me. Also 10 minutes from me is Cam Motion. Arguably the best in the country, according to alot of magazines that feature them. I went and got my cam speced out for my motor, which is:

383 LS1
Wiesco custom dish pistons
Patriot Stage 3 LS6 heads
Scat rods
Eagle crank
LS6 intake
LS7 lifters
10.7:1
yada yada

I told them I want a cam that sounds NASTY and idles hard as a **** but I still need to drive it every day. Kipp reassured me that its possible to hit at least 500 at the wheels if not more, and still drive it everyday with the sound I want. He came back with a cam speced that sounded perfect for it.

234/236
.595/.595
110+4 LSA

I haven't finished the motor yet, but I managed to come across a car almost identical and he hit over 550 at the wheels. Only small differences like a couple thousanths more lift and such. Anyway, just get a custom one for sure. Best is to go to Cam Motion.

where are you at right now in regards to $$$$$ spent so far? & how do you feel in regards to porting the 317's vs l92's for power gain?
1NKRED1BLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #19
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 15
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NKRED1BLE View Post
where are you at right now in regards to $$$$$ spent so far? & how do you feel in regards to porting the 317's vs l92's for power gain?
I bought my car off eBay with no tranny or hood, with a STS turbo and the stock motor, but it also came with the motor I listed and a bunch of other stuff. The motor was actually built for the STS turbo with 25lbs of boost and about 1000hp. He was gonna run the LS6 heads until he could spend the dough on AFRs, and thats why the compression is higher. Anyway, I added it all up, and with what he spent, and what I spent on the lifters, cam, pushrods, valley cover, gaskets, etc, theres about 10k in the motor, about 1k of that I spent. He had about 9 in it, and I only paid 9200 for the car, with the turbo, 12 bolt, etc, including the motor and stuff. I don't have the option of L92's, so I haven't really done to much research on them, but i'd probably go with the 317's or 243's.
__________________
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=122833&dateline=12578  44648
squee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #20
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now
 
1NKRED1BLE's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 54
Default

im defetnetly going to hit up the folks over at cam motion then, thanks alot for the info i appreciated.
__________________
"Project Yeti" 70 Chevelle Coupe

BIGGER is BETTER...
Bigger Engine !!..........
Bigger Wheels !!!.............
Bigger AUDIO !!!!..................
---------------------------------------------------
1NKRED1BLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:58 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird




Paid Advertisement
Reply

Tags
500hp, big, cam, cams, comp, comps, flowtechinductionscom, heads, ls, ls1, mutha, regrind, specs, thumpr, xer287hr


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details