Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Heads to match cam...

Old 08-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads to match cam...

To begin with, I think that statement is assbackwards, however, I have a cam, and I do not have heads, so that's what I need.

I was looking at Texas-Speeds 225 CNC TFS
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...=1000&catid=40

After seeing the Virginia Speed GTO hit 520rwhp...it kind of makes a man want to copy...

They're quite pricey, so I am wondering if (due to the size of my cam) I should get something else...although I am also thinking of a cam swap, to something a little bigger.

My cam is a 224/228 .610 .612 112LSA
I've got a 3200 vig stall, 1 3/4 headers, catless, CAI, ported TB, will be buying a 92MM FAST.

Any recommendations? Any vendor input?
Old 08-05-2009, 07:51 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TFS 225 head is a very nice setup that should make very good power. Both it & cnc'd L92 heads have larger chambers that will require some extra milling to get the compression anywhere useable. The result is you'll probably have to cut valve reliefs.

We're putting together one of the PRC 227cc cylinder heads on a GTO with the smaller chambers. The result should be good compression without the need to cut the pistons. I'll definately keep you guys posted on what it makes!

I haven't added the 227 head to the site yet because we have more testing to do, but they will be priced right around the 215 heads & will run stock rockers.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 08-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
The TFS 225 head is a very nice setup that should make very good power. Both it & cnc'd L92 heads have larger chambers that will require some extra milling to get the compression anywhere useable. The result is you'll probably have to cut valve reliefs.

We're putting together one of the PRC 227cc cylinder heads on a GTO with the smaller chambers. The result should be good compression without the need to cut the pistons. I'll definately keep you guys posted on what it makes!

I haven't added the 227 head to the site yet because we have more testing to do, but they will be priced right around the 215 heads & will run stock rockers.
How do those new heads compare to these heads:

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=134&catid=40

I like the price of those heads, what kind of power is gain could be expected? Just on average of course?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

The Trick Flows have better flow in the .200" to .700" area, but you will need a different set of springs to run with the cam you have listed above.

Originally Posted by Fatbum
My cam is a 224/228 .610 .612 112LSA
The springs in the TFS heads are rated for .600" lift, so a set of .625" or .650" capable dual springs would be recommended with that cam.

The PRC Stage 2.5's are not bad for there price and since they come with .660" springs you will not have a problem with the cam you have.

I don't believe the PRC heads are shaved so you shouldn't run into an issue with valve clearance. But it would be best to have it checked during the install (just to be sure).

Either set paired with a fast 92 should wake your goat up.

You may also want to look at the trick flow "As Cast" 220's. They were cast with a similar intake and exhaust runner as the CNC'd 215/225's and cost around $1700 (-vs- $2600 for the CNC'd 225's).

http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-55-...ast-220cc.aspx

Originally Posted by Trickflow web site
For the consumer who wants the benefits of the best performing cylinder head on the market without breaking the bank TrickFlow introduces its "As Cast" version of their Gen III LSX Cylinder Head. This "As Cast" Cylinder Head shares all of the same valvetrain as its CNC counterpart. The difference is in the intake/exhaust ports. TrickFlow took its CNC port and digitized it into the casting process. This saves time and money and lowers the cost to you!!!!
Now Hinson lists the TFS As cast with .650" capable springs, But Summit lists them with .600" capable springs. Vengance doesn't list the springs spec for them, but does carry them.

Last edited by Bring the Noise; 08-06-2009 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Just needed to add some info.

Search this Thread