Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Crankshaft Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crankshaft Question

Ok, long story short... I have about 12k miles on my rebuilt engine (stock pistons/rods/crank, rotating assembly balanced) Well, (again, long story short) my crank thrust bearing got worn down through to the steel backing and ruined my crank's thrust surface.

I just bought a new crank (from an 04 gto with about 10k miles on it), would it hurt anything to put this crank in my car without it being 'balanced' like the original was by the machine shop? I still have the heads on the car and was just wondering if this would hurt anything (not looking for impeccable peak power or anything, I just want the damn thing running again... lol) Thanks in advance
Old 08-28-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would balance it. My engine builder stamps the balance weight he used on the front counterweight, then if there are any need to re-balance, he knows where to start. If you have the crank out, it's only a few bucks and a few days to get it done. If you don't do it and it is out of balance, you will have to do it over.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Balance that **** or you're just gonna end up with another trashed motor. Always get your **** balanced.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by IWGF
Balance that ****. Always get your **** balanced.
Or you might end up with irregularity. Or spontaneous regularity. Or your out of balance **** will cause you to walk in a circle. Unbalanced **** causes millions of dollars in sewer line repairs each year, they're RotoRooter's biggest money maker. Lots of potential for trouble if your **** is not balanced

I agree totally, I even have stock rebuilds balanced. It's not as much for your driving comfort without vibration, but your bearings will certainly tank you!

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Question