Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS1 Engine Build Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile LS1 Engine Build Help!!!

Well guys, got my motor disassembled last night down to the block.........time for some serious decision making. I have been looking on here for months on what to do and I still cant decide so I figured I'd take it to you guys for some help. I am looking at making around 430-450 rwhp then adding about 100 shot of nitrous. Do I stick with the aluminum block and save the extra 70 lbs or do I get an iron block to be safe? Figured the cost on the block will weigh out because either way I have to have my stock aluminum one machined for pistons/new bearings etc so I need help on which block to use (and being sure I can resuse my stock crank and rods) The next question is about pistons.........best forged for the money. Looked into Speedpro but they are heavy, JE's and SRP's lots of $$$ so what do you think. Also 243's or 317's.......flow the same either one better for nitrous? Was thinking 317's because of the larger combustion chamber. Lastly cam....was sold on the MS3 but now looking into the Torquer V.3...opinions? I know this is alot of info and this site has given me a ton of info, prolly too much because now I cant make up my mind!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Teching In

if u want an iron block buy a ls2 truck block that way u can still use ur crank and rods and u have to buy pistons anyways and u'll have 18 more cid but i really don't think u need a iron block for 100 shot!
Old 08-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by emiliesman
Well guys, got my motor disassembled last night down to the block.........time for some serious decision making. I have been looking on here for months on what to do and I still cant decide so I figured I'd take it to you guys for some help. I am looking at making around 430-450 rwhp then adding about 100 shot of nitrous. Do I stick with the aluminum block and save the extra 70 lbs or do I get an iron block to be safe? Figured the cost on the block will weigh out because either way I have to have my stock aluminum one machined for pistons/new bearings etc so I need help on which block to use (and being sure I can resuse my stock crank and rods) The next question is about pistons.........best forged for the money. Looked into Speedpro but they are heavy, JE's and SRP's lots of $$$ so what do you think. Also 243's or 317's.......flow the same either one better for nitrous? Was thinking 317's because of the larger combustion chamber. Lastly cam....was sold on the MS3 but now looking into the Torquer V.3...opinions? I know this is alot of info and this site has given me a ton of info, prolly too much because now I cant make up my mind!!!!!!!
The power you're looking for isn't that much. Why don't you just get forged pistons, keep the stock rods and crankshaft, stay stock cubed and buy some decent heads and a cam. There's your 450 RWHP N/A. Spray a 100 shot and you're in the 10's. An aluminum block set up like that...tuned properly....will last 100,000 miles.

Cheap and it'll last a very very long time.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Diamond Pistons
Old 08-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys for the help. I had a great deal on some Patriot 5.3 heads, but the guy kinda screwed me and sold them behind my back for a lil extra cash. cant really blame him, but crappy business. I am for sure going with the Torquer V3 cam, heads are still in the air. Waiting to get the block back from the machine shop before I can order pistons..but Diamonds sound like a good plan!

Quick Reply: LS1 Engine Build Help!!!