Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

To sleeve or not to sleeve....

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default To sleeve or not to sleeve....

I've been reading the search results when I input "sleeve" or "resleeve" and there seems to be as many people happy with the results/longevity of Darton sleeves as there are people who have had problems and advise everyone to stay away. Usually these are random posts in threads that are not specific about resleeving.

Now that we are in 2009/almost 2010, has the process matured enough to stop fearing resleeved blocks/motors? Or are more people having problems with them, but not really talking about them? I would appreciate some feedback from the experts/experienced people on this subject (wet/dry/ERL superdeck, anything) I have a block packed/sealed with RED's address on it as I type this.

Last edited by Stage7; 09-12-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:26 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dartons have worked pretty well for us. Trevor has a ls block with sleeves already installed. I bet he'd sell it for pretty stinkin cheap! Give us a call if you decide you need a block.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 09-10-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sleeve it !!

Steve @ RED is the man. He dry sleeved my LS2 block and NO problems what so ever. The machine shop who finished up the block said that RED's machine work was top notch! I'm sure there's other places who do it but I believe Steve worked with Darton on the sleeve development.

I stopped in @ Steve's n checked him out before I sent my block out. His shop was cool...
Old 09-10-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

what were the problems that people were experiencing with darton sleeved blocks?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:43 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

You can't go wrong with a RED sleeved block. Steve has the proper knowledge and equipment to sleeve the LS blocks properly. He even submitted a lot of helpful pictures and sleeve knowledge that I used when writing my LS-book (in sig).
Old 09-10-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Send it out to RED does good work
Old 09-11-2009, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

pmed you i got one for sale. it would cost double this to get this done
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...ls1-block.html
Old 09-11-2009, 04:57 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Same block I use guys. No worries at all. Your in good hands (Roberto and Dan) with RED, HKE and CC Performance

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 09-11-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:29 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After using many sleeved blocks from RED and some now from ERL too we have still never had any issues really to speak of. Some of these make over 900 RWHP as well.

If anything they work better as they also provide more cylinder length to support the piston at BDC with the bigger stroke stuff too.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

any info on LPE ls1 sleeved blocks?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Darton MID Wet Sleeved LS1 that I'm running. Couldn't be happier with the block and no issues to date. I think alot of the re-sleeving issues were prior to 2004-2005 or so. Anything after that and most of the re-sleeving issues were pretty much resolved with both the wet and dry sleeving.

The original owner of my Darton sleeved block had been through 2 different prior blocks with re-sleeving processes before this one, and they both dropped sleeves before reaching 500 miles of use. That was way back in 2003 I think? When he had my current block and MID sleeves installed, they were pretty much brand new on the market whenever that was,,, 2004-2005?

To answer the OP's question, you won't have any issues with a RED sleeved block.

Mike
Old 09-11-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you for all of the responses. I sent the block yesterday. I'm sleeping easy about it now. lol
Old 09-11-2009, 02:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

With Steve at RED you will have nothing to worry about!
Old 09-11-2009, 02:39 PM
FormerVendor

I think it's all about who is doing the work. We have tested the limits with the GM LS series blocks from our Dry Sleeve to our Superdeck I and our 500 CI Superdeck II. I can say for us that through our testing over the years we have tested what works and what doesn't work when it comes to sleeving these blocks and I can tell you that very few have done more testing than we have on sleeving the LS series blocks. We always are trying to improve on what we know works and I think you always need to look at improving your product to the changing times like our 500 CI and our 6 bolt conversion. Both work extremely well and are both modified GM LS series sleeved blocks. Why re-invent the wheel when all you need to do is improve on what you already know is a good product (GM LS series block). We have developed these applications for street, strip and even extreme application. I can tell you this that if we ever had a problem with a sleeve sinking we would take care if it. Thanks goodness we don't have that problem. Check out our website where you can see our facility. I think it's important to see the facility that will be taking care of your engine. I know that's not everything but I certainly want to see how clean their shop is and to me says a lot about their work. Experience is another and at ERL we have over 100 years of combined machining experience. Let us know if we can help.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:59 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ERL Performance
I think it's all about who is doing the work. We have tested the limits with the GM LS series blocks from our Dry Sleeve to our Superdeck I and our 500 CI Superdeck II. I can say for us that through our testing over the years we have tested what works and what doesn't work when it comes to sleeving these blocks and I can tell you that very few have done more testing than we have on sleeving the LS series blocks. We always are trying to improve on what we know works and I think you always need to look at improving your product to the changing times like our 500 CI and our 6 bolt conversion. Both work extremely well and are both modified GM LS series sleeved blocks. Why re-invent the wheel when all you need to do is improve on what you already know is a good product (GM LS series block). We have developed these applications for street, strip and even extreme application. I can tell you this that if we ever had a problem with a sleeve sinking we would take care if it. Thanks goodness we don't have that problem. Check out our website where you can see our facility. I think it's important to see the facility that will be taking care of your engine. I know that's not everything but I certainly want to see how clean their shop is and to me says a lot about their work. Experience is another and at ERL we have over 100 years of combined machining experience. Let us know if we can help.
What would you guys do if you sent one of your blocks out and upon assembly it was determined that you guys clearanced the sleeves wrong and the pistons were coming out of the sleeves?
Old 09-11-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

Why would you want to sleeve a block when you can get a LSx block for less money and no issues with sleeves.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

The sleeves in the LSx block are shorter, and the block weighs over a 100 lbs more.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:34 AM
FormerVendor

Arrow

Originally Posted by T-Bones Goat
What would you guys do if you sent one of your blocks out and upon assembly it was determined that you guys clearanced the sleeves wrong and the pistons were coming out of the sleeves?

T-Bones,

The ERL sleeves are longer than stock by quite a bit and the pistons will be sticking out of them much less than a non sleeved block. Another words even with the clearancing for stroke the pistons are much more supported on these sleeved engines in general.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:39 AM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hard Core Z28
Why would you want to sleeve a block when you can get a LSx block for less money and no issues with sleeves.
I like the LSX blocks even if they require a little TLC but they are heavier than some people want for some applications and like stage 7 said and the reason I use them a lot is the longer cylinder bores. Especially on the longer stroke stuff you need the longer bores. I have 3 - 468 cubic inch ERL Superdeck-1 blocks and I couldn't have done what I wanted to in the LSX and had it work correctly due to the short cylinders the LSX has compared to the longer by almost .300 cylinders of the ERL deal. The ERL blocks are like works of art as far as their machining as well.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:14 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by racer7088
T-Bones,

The ERL sleeves are longer than stock by quite a bit and the pistons will be sticking out of them much less than a non sleeved block. Another words even with the clearancing for stroke the pistons are much more supported on these sleeved engines in general.
I was just wondering what they would do if they clearanced the sleeves wrong and the piston skirts were out too far?

Last edited by T-Bones Goat; 09-12-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply: To sleeve or not to sleeve....