Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Comp cam 918 failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 07:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comp cam 918 failure

Hey Gents. last week I was crusing down the Hwy at about 70 MPH, when my Goat started making this horrible noise. My engine light then started flashing and I started to lose power. I got off the next exit less than a mile down the road. I checked and didn't see anything out of place. Needless to say I had my Goat towed to a performance shop close to my home 65 miles away. They checked it the day following labor day.

It was discovered that 2 valve springs had broken { Comp Cams 918 valve spring with the blue stripe on it } That caused the valve to fail, which in turn tore up 2 pistons and the cylinder. They were installed in July of 06, along with their blower cam. I called Comp Cams and they informed me that the only thing they would do at this point is replace my valve springs.
Thanks for your input............
Old 09-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man that stinks, I don't really have any advice for recourse except keep yer chin up.

I just tore apart a motor from an '05 gto and boring it out with new pistons so if you're able to reuse your stock size I have a couple you can have. They're in perfect shape and car had 45,000 miles. Yours if you can use em.

good luck.

Quick Reply: Comp cam 918 failure