Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Announcing a new LS-series "How-to" publication:

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 11:54 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Announcing a new LS-series "How-to" publication:

I'd like to take this opportunity (with Internet Brands generous approval) to announce the release of a new book I was involved in writing last year. The book is called “How-To Build and Modify the GM LS-Series Engines” and is published through Motorbooks, a leading provider of enthusiast driven publications. The manual covers building Gen III and Gen IV LS-series engines from start to finish, outlining proper procedures and techniques. Including the GMPP LSX block differences.

I see and hear of many mistakes being made with customer installations due to unfamiliarity, and while this book cannot cover the complete vehicle otherwise, it thoroughly covers what is inside the LS engine. Whether you are building a stock engine, adding a camshaft or cylinder heads to your own shortblock, or up to building a fully forged 427ci long block, there is something in this book that will relate to that and show you the proper procedures to do so.

There is further helpful information on helping to choose engine blocks by power and application, choosing pistons, deciding on which heads you can afford, and the most valuable trait of having a step-by-step guide for engine assembly, which includes degreeing the camshaft, determining pushrod length, checking all bearing and piston-to-valve clearances and computing compression ratios. One nice last minute feature that I was able to sneak in was a Bolt and Torque Spec chart; I thought “what if I can make a list of where each size and length of bolt is supposed to go, along with that bolts torque specification”, and what better place to have the description, location, and sizes (socket size, length, diameter and thread pitch) of the exact bolt other than a full torque specification table. That alone took a good portion of time, but a highly valuable addition to a book of this nature.

The book consists of 176 pages including 300+ color photos with text captions for each. For those readers who like to follow installation pictures, you can either follow the sequential installation images, and/or for those who like to read; the corresponding chapter text outlines each step more thoroughly.

The Book is available from Motorbooks.com currently, September 1st was the official release date and it will start showing up everywhere else about a month afterward - towards the beginning of October. Amazon.com, and a few dozen other book stores will start shipping it out at that time.

http://www.motorbooks.com/Store/Prod...ails_42331.ncm

Amazon Amazon

I’m currently involved in 2 other book projects. The next one is “The 1993-2002 Camaro and Firebird Performance Handbook”, which I am about 2 weeks from finishing, and then I get to start on one I’ve been really looking forward to which is “The LS Engine Swap Manual”, which details installing the Gen III and Gen IV LS-style engines into older vehicles, whether a 67 Camaro, or a 85 Monte Carlo. These popular engines are making their rounds into just about anything.

If there are any questions pertaining to this book or my other projects feel free to post in this thread.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn awesome work Joseph I'm buying this for sure.

(This is way off topic Joseph but how hard is it to change the new 2010 SS L99 Camaro like the old style to swap cams????)

PM again great work
Old 09-14-2009, 12:29 AM

Thanks!

The 2010 Camaro's are pretty easy to work on. The only weirdness on the L99 compared to the LS3 is the VVT setup under the timing cover, which is a pulse width modulated and spring-loaded cam phaser setup to change camshaft timing, so if that is kept functional you are limited to VVT friendly cam grinds and locking out the max physical timing limits. If you eliminate the VVT and AFM you can run std LS3/L92 cam grinds but do not have the VVT advantages of advancing the cam timing at low RPM's and retarding it at higher RPM's to have a broad powerband. As far as I know, everyone is pretty conservative with VVT camshaft grinds on the stock shortblock.

Last edited by -Joseph-; 10-02-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:45 AM
11 Second Club

THANKS Alot man.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:59 AM
Launching!

Are autographed copies available at the shop???
Old 09-14-2009, 08:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

I ordered mine from the link in your signature last week. I had it pre-ordered through Amazon, but realized it was available directly from your publisher when I clicked your link. Express shipping. I hope to have it this week. Best of luck!

Last edited by Stage7; 09-14-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:13 AM
12 Second Club

Looks like a awsome book. I might have to add this to the collection.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:06 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations Joseph! That's a great achievment to be able to write a performance handbook.

Now if I could just lurn to reid!
Old 09-14-2009, 01:29 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I'd had your book on pre-order over at Amazon in forever, look forward to getting it and reviewing it!

PSJ
Old 09-14-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mine is on order
Old 09-14-2009, 04:07 PM
9 Second Club

JOSEPH congrats to you! Guys let me say this up front JOSEPH is a class act. Again I will openly thank him for the time he took to help me along the way with my budget build. Loaded with knowledge and a huge assest to have here with us.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles
Are autographed copies available at the shop???
Maybe once I get my supply.

Originally Posted by Stage7
I ordered mine from the link in your signature last week. I had it pre-ordered through Amazon, but realized it was available directly from your publisher when I clicked your link. Express shipping. I hope to have it this week. Best of luck!
Cool! Post up when you get it.

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Looks like a awsome book. I might have to add this to the collection.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Speed Density
Congratulations Joseph! That's a great achievment to be able to write a performance handbook.

Now if I could just lurn to reid!
Thanks, and don't worry about learning to read, just get Audiobooks.

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I'd had your book on pre-order over at Amazon in forever, look forward to getting it and reviewing it!

PSJ
I put you down for a review copy from the publisher, so you might end up with two.

Originally Posted by novaflash2002
mine is on order
Thanks, I hope you enjoy it.

Originally Posted by JFM-jr
JOSEPH congrats to you! Guys let me say this up front JOSEPH is a class act. Again I will openly thank him for the time he took to help me along the way with my budget build. Loaded with knowledge and a huge asset to have here with us.
Thanks John! I will now have to send you a bill.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Ok you twisted my arm, i'll buy one

Nice work, man
Old 09-14-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great book. Will get one shortly. If you need any swap info on Gen1 Camaro with A6 for the conversions book, drop me a line.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by rsz288
Great book. Will get one shortly. If you need any swap info on Gen1 Camaro with A6 for the conversions book, drop me a line.
I already have 2 1st gens lined out to document swaps in, but shoot me a message at lsx-images at sbcglobal net, and I will get back to you on that. Can probably use the A6 specific info.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:44 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Well if I end up with two, I'll give away one in here, I'll ask everyone to guess a number between 1 and 1000.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:28 AM
Launching!

i guess 420, did i win the book?
Old 09-18-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Congrats Joseph! Ordering my copy.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just received my book. Browsing through it now. Beautiful!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Stage7
I just received my book. Browsing through it now. Beautiful!
Cool! I'm glad these are starting to show up. The designer did an excellent job IMO, she even sent me the "inside" preview picture I used in the first post. It is amazing it looks like a book, for well over a year all I known it as was a 60K word text document. I was touring Wiseco, Callies, and Harland sharp around this time last year actually.

In a few weeks (after you have spent some time with the manual) can you do me a favor and write a little review or rating on amazon.com? I'll update my threads when it is available on amazon anyway, hopefully they keep the intro pricing.

Quick Reply: Announcing a new LS-series "How-to" publication: