Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS7 lean cylinder condition?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS7 lean cylinder condition?

I gather there area many reports of lean mixture in cylinder #7 and sometimes cylinder #8 in many of the LS motors. Does this also apply to the LS7 with stock intake? Car is going to the dyno on a different ECU, and I'm wondering if there is need for/possibility of richening mixture in cylinder #7 to stave off detonation.

TIA.

Tom
Old 09-22-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Regular

#7 is often regarded as the leanest cylinder. Reading my plugs verified this on my old LS3 as well. Matter of fact, #7 was the leanest, followed by #5, followed by #6. I always put my w/b 02 in the drivers side header for tuning as that is the leanest bank. Tuning for a 12.71:1 A/F ratio at WOT kept things knock free and made great power w/ 25deg of peak timing. Again, this was for the LS3...so I am unsure of what settings people with LS7's shoot for.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Default Tuning

OK, maybe this belongs in the tuning section but -

my ECU allows for individual injector trims. That being the case, when does enriching the #7 cylinder apply in terms of RPM and throttle position? ie. do you enrich at part throttle at 3000 RPM, or is the enrichment really only for WOT above 4000 RPM?

Secondly, what percentage might one start with in running richer? I assume advice would be to read plugs, but I'd like to get in the ball park before pulling plugs (a major pain on my car).

Thanks,

Tom
Old 09-22-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

What ECU are you running? I don't know of GM PCM that will allow individual control of the injectors. In the past people have had the injectors flowed and used the ones that flowed the most in the leaner cylinders. Typically just tuning the leaner bank and watching the knock sensors will keep you well out of trouble. I wouldn't bother with individual trims even if I had the ability.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1.8t
What ECU are you running? I don't know of GM PCM that will allow individual control of the injectors. In the past people have had the injectors flowed and used the ones that flowed the most in the leaner cylinders. Typically just tuning the leaner bank and watching the knock sensors will keep you well out of trouble. I wouldn't bother with individual trims even if I had the ability.
thats a nice idea.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wadd
OK, maybe this belongs in the tuning section but -

my ECU allows for individual injector trims. That being the case, when does enriching the #7 cylinder apply in terms of RPM and throttle position? ie. do you enrich at part throttle at 3000 RPM, or is the enrichment really only for WOT above 4000 RPM?

Secondly, what percentage might one start with in running richer? I assume advice would be to read plugs, but I'd like to get in the ball park before pulling plugs (a major pain on my car).

Thanks,

Tom
my understanding is that people who use this feature in those standalone ECUs would most likely have a wideband on each cylinder, and tune accordingly. A general statement that cyl #7 is the leanest tells you nothing, you dont know HOW lean, and when and what to adjust, so youll be shooting in the dark (i guess)
Old 09-26-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

#7 runs hotter on any lsx not using a coolant cross-over in the rear. Often mistaken for a lean cyl., richening it up helps, I also run 1 size richer jet for that cyl on direct-port set-ups. I say it's not a lean condition because u can swap the intake around (backwards) on the engine dyno and still see #7 hotter. Coolant cavitation around #7 is going to be the culprit. This is my opinion and I would love to hear ANY other good explanation.

Quick Reply: LS7 lean cylinder condition?