Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

What is the best block for 454

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best block for 454

OK I HAVE BEEN READING FOR WEEKS
what i cant decide is what is the best block for a 454 build street only with PD top mount (later on maybe) NO SPRAY it runs out
i have an LS3 A6 powered maloo with a E38 ECM
so i want to keep a 58x reluctor and all the ls3 sensors ect
my big concern is piston rock on BDC
and oil burning issues
these are the opt as i see them so fare

1/ls2 RED sleeved block ls3 to dear at the moment
and i wont to sell mine compleat an have a buyer
2/LSX some say yes some say no dont really wont extra120lbs
3/LS7 not very good for FI as well as big stroke

WHAT IS the advantages of the RHS high CAM block with std deck height a far as sleeve length goes other then more room for the rotating ASM
war hawk ??
others ??
not interested in ones that wont except lsx style intakes and heads must look OEM
looking for reliability rather then HP as it will have enough

thanks
Old 10-27-2009, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4) RHS Aluminum race block.... up to 500ci and 2500hp. Ive been dreaming of one for a while, since I saw it last year at PRI. Looks like you can order it completely machined and ready to assemble too.

Copied from website:

• Extra long liners for standard (5.87”) & tall (6.38”) decks
• “Long arm friendly” design – Accommodations for up to 4.6” stroke with standard rod pin diameters (2.100”) & oversized 60mm camshaft
• Raised cam centerline (.388”/9.86mm) to allow larger stroke; 2 extra links in the timing chain – Timing sets available from COMP Cams®

Last edited by SweetS10V8; 10-27-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Imo the lsx would be a good way to the block holds up much better for FI. The advantage of the raised cam on the RHS block is to allow clearance for the larger stroke. I have built many 434 cubic conventional SBC with std deck heights and they do have piston rock at the bottom but as long as the machine work is done correctly it's not a problem. The extra weight of an LSX block can be well over come buy the hp gains so i don't consider it to be a problem.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

Cool

Originally Posted by red 454
what i cant decide is what is the best block for a 454 build street only with PD top mount (later on maybe) NO SPRAY it runs out
and oil burning issues

WHAT IS the advantages of the RHS high CAM block with std deck height a far as sleeve length goes other then more room for the rotating ASM
war hawk ??
others ??
not interested in ones that wont except lsx style intakes and heads must look OEM

thanks
Do you want to make power or leave some on the table-

Do you want to get all your moneys worth-

the maloo is already heavy so putting a lsx in it cant real harm it anymore unless you want to chase every single et down the track-

Money is also a concern as whats the budget-

The thing will make torque even if it runs like a busted ***-so what are you going to do about the trans?

Least but not least the cam-it should be a direct reflection of the head you are using then the engine aspects, the vehicles weight, the tran's and the converter, etc, etc, etc

I am in a log process of doing a 454 for a customer but i am a long way off from even starting it-

Like i stated in one of your other thread's if i was doing a 454 i would not be using a ls3/l92 head on it and you stated now that you like to put some boost threw it..no no-

I might be wrong but that's my opinion.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by njc.corp
Do you want to make power or leave some on the table-(DEPENDS ON RELYABILTY)

Do you want to get all your moneys worth-(YES)

the maloo is already heavy so putting a lsx in it cant real harm it anymore unless you want to chase every single et down the track-(NOT REALY I DOUBT IT WILL SEE THE TRACK STREET ONLY)

Money is also a concern as whats the budget-(UNDER 15,000 USD I HAVE TO GET IT OVER HERE AND FIT IT TO Along with alot of other things )

The thing will make torque even if it runs like a busted ***-so what are you going to do about the trans? (GET IT BUILT)

Least but not least the cam-it should be a direct reflection of the head you are using then the engine aspects, the vehicles weight, the tran's and the converter, etc, etc, etc (235/240/114/585lift ISH NOT VERY BIG stock stall )

I am in a log process of doing a 454 for a customer but i am a long way off from even starting it-

Like i stated in one of your other thread's if i was doing a 454 i would not be using a ls3/l92 head on it I (WAS ASKING THE QUSTOIN IF IT WOULD BE OK ?AS LS3 HEADS SEAM TO BE GOOD )
(AS I HAVE READ IT LOOKS LIKE LS7 TOP END IS THE GO )(what is the difference of ls7 heads to ls3 heads do ls7 have rectangle ports BIGER VALVES ) and you stated now that you like to put some boost threw it..no no- (I DID SAY MAY BE IF IT DIDENT MAKE IT unreliable )

(im still deciding on a good reliable block HENCE THE POST
so haven't got in to the other stuff yet)
cheers
Old 10-28-2009, 12:31 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by red 454
and oil burning issues

war hawk ??
others ??

thanks
Resleeved LS2 block

Old 10-28-2009, 12:41 AM
Teching In

LSX with dragon slayer crank is what I'm running.. so far it handles a 250shot with no problems
Old 10-28-2009, 12:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LSX Truck
LSX with dragon slayer crank is what I'm running.. so far it handles a 250shot with no problems
what bore and stroke, rods length ,pistons,ring s ect ??
Old 10-28-2009, 04:38 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We offer a few different options for a 454, LSX or LS2 being two of them. I went LS2 to save the weight.. little more expensive than going the iron route. RHS block would be nice if it's in the budget.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
We offer a few different options for a 454, LSX or LS2 being two of them. I went LS2 to save the weight.. little more expensive than going the iron route. RHS block would be nice if it's in the budget.
can you drop us a PM with some prices opt ??
Old 10-28-2009, 05:39 AM
Banned

will do, we've got a LS2 454 going into a maloo in the UK
Old 10-28-2009, 06:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah something tells me I know about that one
Old 10-28-2009, 07:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best block for a 454? Dart Billet Block.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Once you got to a power adders the advantage with large cubic inches is diminished. The problems that you discuss are trade offs when it comes to big cubes in a short deck block.

For a 454 reliable street application you need a tall deck block. the only one that is reasonably priced (when it starts shipping LOL) is the LSX tall deck.

The RHS is a nice part but requires a lot of expensive components since they raised the cam .700" .

If it's NA only then you can get away with a longer rod without the pin killing your ring package and top land distance. If it's a dished deal your only asking for trouble.

Now remember this is for a RELIABLE street engine. I'll build a race engine all day long with that because it's not going to get a lot of miles and I will tear it down often.

And a re sleeved LS2??? what is up with that? There are so many better options I am confused why I see this mentioned so often......

The LS7 block is a gem for big cube reliable street engines. Will handle big power and is reasonably priced.

Robin
Old 10-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ringram
Yeah something tells me I know about that one
by the 440 in your sig I think I've heard about your car as well
Old 10-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Robin L
And a re sleeved LS2??? what is up with that? There are so many better options I am confused why I see this mentioned so often......
Robin
Because of the price of the LS7 block the resleeved LS2 becomes a better option with being able to add a slightly longer sleeve and bigger bore. Add in the cracking issue under certain conditions with the LS7 block and the LS2 becomes more desirable.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are some other good options as well, but the three in your orignal post can all be made to work well. Although they have different sleeve lengths, any of the three can work well as long as the piston manufacturer has done their homework. Some haven't and I can assure you that you will have obscene wear and oiling with some of their offerings. Best of luck, Brian Nutter
Old 10-28-2009, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Because of the price of the LS7 block the resleeved LS2 becomes a better option with being able to add a slightly longer sleeve and bigger bore. Add in the cracking issue under certain conditions with the LS7 block and the LS2 becomes more desirable.
Though of doing a sleeved LS2 over the LS7 block. ohh well.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by njc.corp
Do you want to make power or leave some on the table-

Do you want to get all your moneys worth-

the maloo is already heavy so putting a lsx in it cant real harm it anymore unless you want to chase every single et down the track-

Money is also a concern as whats the budget-

The thing will make torque even if it runs like a busted ***-so what are you going to do about the trans?

Least but not least the cam-it should be a direct reflection of the head you are using then the engine aspects, the vehicles weight, the tran's and the converter, etc, etc, etc

Like i stated in one of your other thread's if i was doing a 454 i would not be using a ls3/l92 head on it and you stated now that you like to put some boost threw it..no no-

Why is this?? Would a LS9 or LSA head be better??
Old 10-28-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try LS7 or similar I think was the intention mate. ls3=ls9=lsa=l92 head.. well portwise anyway.

Quick Reply: What is the best block for 454