Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

looking for some l92 answers???

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default looking for some l92 answers???

im starting to build my next project. this ones an 80 malibu, stripped with a cage good to 8.50. i want this car to go low 10's

i want to use a 6.0 engine and do l92 heads. but i cant decide about the l76 intake or the carbed intake. i had read that the l76 intake could be had complete for like 500 bucks with injectors and rail and trhottle body, but i can't find it on scoggin's website.

if im going to use the truck acc. (wich i still dont know if they will clear the chassis) im worried the l76 intake will be a problem with the lq4 timing cover (upper hose outlet). if i use the carb outlet, i will have to drill the bosses for the injectors etc... but since im going to put a turbo on this one (already have a 52mm) i wouldnt mind useing the truck intake (provided i could find one), or heck maybe i will just make a sheetmetal intake?

the other thing i was wondering about , is how hard is it to swap to the 6.2 crank. their only like 200 bucks so..... i assume they have the 58 tooth reluctor and if i pick up a junkyard 6.0 lq4 its probably gonna have a 24tooth... do i need to get a whole new computer or can i use the lq4 computer??

and does anyone know hwo much boost is safe to run on these stock pistons (just incase i can afford forged yet)?

Attached Thumbnails looking for some l92 answers???-new-bu.jpg  
Old 10-30-2009, 03:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gm offered that intake for like a month and it sold like crazy. no longer avail. we DO however have the LS3 intake with fuel rails, gaskets, fuel injectors (40#) and the map sensor for 700.

as far as the rest, the timing cover does not matter, it is the water pump you use that is the problem. The L92 carb style intake also now comes with the fuel injector holes already machined, just need a fuel rail like the edelbrock one.

you can use either computer to run either one, just make sure you match the computer with the reluctor wheel on the crank and them get the appropriate timing set/front cover.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

go with carb manifold. with a 90* elbow. will allow the use of the truck wp which are more common.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check my thread on performance trucks for the lq4 l92/l76 top end swap if you decide to go that route

thread title l92/l76 top end swap write up
Old 10-30-2009, 07:05 PM
9 Second Club

I probably wouldn't go with the carbed intake if it's going to be a hydraulic roller. (I decided not to go with the carb intake with my L92 headed motor). If it's going to be a boosted motor the intake is less critical and you can set it up like Nemess said.
Keep in mind the L92 heads don't like much boost (head gaskets).
Nice cage, sounds like a cool project.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Launching!

How do you like that seat? I prefer a milk crate myself, no splinters!!!!
I know I've completly wasted everyones time, but I couldn't resist!!!
To get on topic lingenfelter sometimes has some nice factory cranks on ebay, cranks they pull out when people upgrade/stroke their motors. I picked up a stock crank out of a 58 tooth LS2 for like $100. If your going to a 58 tooth wheel your LQ4 computer is most likely not going to work as they used a 24 tooth wheel, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Good Luck!
Old 10-30-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by John@Scoggin
Gm offered that intake for like a month and it sold like crazy. no longer avail. we DO however have the LS3 intake with fuel rails, gaskets, fuel injectors (40#) and the map sensor for 700.

as far as the rest, the timing cover does not matter, it is the water pump you use that is the problem. The L92 carb style intake also now comes with the fuel injector holes already machined, just need a fuel rail like the edelbrock one.

you can use either computer to run either one, just make sure you match the computer with the reluctor wheel on the crank and them get the appropriate timing set/front cover.
i kinda mispoke. i know (if im right) the waterpump is matched to the acc drive setup. i.e f body water pump w/ f-body acc and truck w/ truck acc. so if im useing truck acc. to clear my chassis i have to use the truck water pump (wich would interfere with the throttle body). but here's what i didn't know..... i thought the timing cover was also perticular to wich ever acc drive you were useing. and now i know so thanks.

and if you have to use an l92 ecu with the l92 crank then i probably will just skip that idea (probably not going to find a l92 ecu on the cheap).

as far as the intake route, i think im either going to go with the carb intake or make a sheetmetal one. i have been wanting to try building one and my tigging is getting better. does anyone know if you can buy those injector bungs? i thought i had seen those before, or i might have been thinking of nitrous ones.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tektrans
I probably wouldn't go with the carbed intake if it's going to be a hydraulic roller. (I decided not to go with the carb intake with my L92 headed motor). If it's going to be a boosted motor the intake is less critical and you can set it up like Nemess said.
Keep in mind the L92 heads don't like much boost (head gaskets).
Nice cage, sounds like a cool project.

how much boost can they take? i hadn't heard this was an issue. 8-10 pounds ok?
Old 10-30-2009, 10:43 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would get an LQ9 and mill the L92's get the compression 12.5+ and with a ported L76 or LS3 in an 80 malibu should be easy there was a guy that went 10.x recently in a malibu or something like that
Old 10-30-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leonpiper69
i kinda mispoke. i know (if im right) the waterpump is matched to the acc drive setup. i.e f body water pump w/ f-body acc and truck w/ truck acc. so if im useing truck acc. to clear my chassis i have to use the truck water pump (wich would interfere with the throttle body). but here's what i didn't know..... i thought the timing cover was also perticular to wich ever acc drive you were useing. and now i know so thanks.

and if you have to use an l92 ecu with the l92 crank then i probably will just skip that idea (probably not going to find a l92 ecu on the cheap).

as far as the intake route, i think im either going to go with the carb intake or make a sheetmetal one. i have been wanting to try building one and my tigging is getting better. does anyone know if you can buy those injector bungs? i thought i had seen those before, or i might have been thinking of nitrous ones.

The timing cover doesn't have anything to do with the drive acc...You can use a car style intake with truck acc. just gotta get a idler pulley relocation kit from speartech (other places make them also ) And just use a E38 rather
E40 ECM ....

Last edited by Petraszewsky; 11-01-2009 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Corrected Typo
Old 11-02-2009, 09:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smok'nZ
i would get an LQ9 and mill the L92's get the compression 12.5+ and with a ported L76 or LS3 in an 80 malibu should be easy there was a guy that went 10.x recently in a malibu or something like that
I would not mill the L92s too much as the LQ4 and LQ9 pistons were not designed for those size of valves and it you run an aggressive cam, then you will run into PTV clearance issues unless the cam is properly design for that exact application and/or you flycutt the pistons. The LQ4 is a little more forgiving due to the dish on the piston, but not by much.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

I run the f body accessories in my ls1 swap. Alt is only thing even close. Still plenty far enough away from sterring box. I would use the single plane with a 4150 t/b. Big horsepower over a plastic manifold. You should have plenty of hood clearence. just my .02.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:44 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by leonpiper69
how much boost can they take? i hadn't heard this was an issue. 8-10 pounds ok?
yes 8-10 is ok. From what I have read it's high boost levels they have issues with, 20+lbs is what I think 94guy was running and he had issues.