Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

404ci stroker build

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 404ci stroker build

hey guys/gals i have a 2005 C6 Corvette and am planning on stroking the LS2(364ci) to a 404ci stroker. i plan on supercharging it but would like to have a lopey cam but many people have told me that i couldnt do that. so i have made a list of parts that i was planning on doing and would like some tips/advice on if the combo will work good together. my goals for the engine are 700-800rwhp & to be able to use pump gas only(91-93 octane) so here we go:

LS2(364ci) to LS2(404ci):
-404ci Forged Stroker kit from Livernois Motorsports, supposed to make compression ratio 9.7:1
-Halltech Venom cold air intake
-FAST 92mm intake manifold
-Ported LS2 throttle body 90mm(stock) to 92mm(ported to match FAST intake)
-American Racing Headers 1 7/8"x3" w/cats & 3"x3" X-pipe
-Borla Stinger exhaust
-AFR 225cc 72cc Chamber heads
-MS3 cam(237/242 .603/.609 112)
-D1SC(not sure on psi would like some advice/tips on that)
-dyno tuned(probably at Thunder Racing since i live in Louisiana & have heard many good things about them)

so there is my list, will i be able to make my goals(700-800rwhp & be able to use pump gas only(91-93 octane)? and will this engine have low enough compression for the supercharger to feel comfortable? also just a side note, this is an Automatic 6 speed transmission, just in case you want to add in that on the dyno, i know they absorb more power than the manuals on the dyno. so please let me know. thanks
Old 11-18-2009, 01:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i am going to do a similar setup to this and would like to see some answers on it as well.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

It looks good. I would not run the MS3 with a blower. You don't need that large of cam with FI. The MS3 is hard to deal with in an auto trans car. The cam will stumble sometimes, search for an rpm to idle at, and has intake reversion problems. Let the blower do the work, by running a cam set up for FI. I had an MS3 and it was ok, but there are much better cams out now. I think 800rwhp will be hard to make. What type of blower? If you do the Ms3 you will need a torque converter and possibly gears. The auto 6 speed might help, it won't live behind 700-800 hp. The stock rear might if you run street tires all the time. You will do 1/8 mile burn outs LOL. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
It looks good. I would not run the MS3 with a blower. You don't need that large of cam with FI. The MS3 is hard to deal with in an auto trans car. The cam will stumble sometimes, search for an rpm to idle at, and has intake reversion problems. Let the blower do the work, by running a cam set up for FI. I had an MS3 and it was ok, but there are much better cams out now. I think 800rwhp will be hard to make. What type of blower? If you do the Ms3 you will need a torque converter and possibly gears. The auto 6 speed might help, it won't live behind 700-800 hp. The stock rear might if you run street tires all the time. You will do 1/8 mile burn outs LOL. Good luck.
what cam would you recommend? i am wanting to have a lopey/choppy idle, if possible. i dont want it to sound stock or close to stock. and thats alright if it doesnt make 800rwhp, just at least 650+ is fine really. i will be using the D1SC blower. and what could i do for the transmission? just take it to a reputable shop and have them beef it up? and same with the rear end? im not very educated at all on the tranny & rear end area so im not sure about those two. so any help there would be appreciated. and i saw a guy that had a C6 and made 920rwhp, and he was using the D1SC and had a Comp Cam and lift on it was .605/.609 112 lsa. it loped hard. thats what i am wanting, and he also uses pump gas. but on the tranny part he is using a Manual 6 with a really good clutch.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it was me I would run a Magnuson or the new Vortech type blower. It makes a nice clean package. Its like just changing out the manifold. The LS9 cam would be a good choice. Its made for a super charger. Do you know how much money and maintance it takes to run a 900 hp car? GM Hi Tech bolted a Eaton TVS2300 on a stock 10 Camaro and made 500 hp. Thats a more relalistic goal. On the tranny build maybe Circle D not some shop like Amco. I think TCI makes one. Its going to be expensive. My Rossler 4L60 E was 2800.00. On the rear I don't know.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

from Thunder Racing:

63-54-477-11 Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller 227 / 243 .617/.624 114 LSA, Strong midrange power when used with a centrifugal blower. RPM range from 2200 to 7000.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you try the EPP blower cam? 232/240 115. They made it for blowers and it is supposed to have more of that old school muscle car sound.

Also, if it's going in a vette, why not try the F1A or F1C? It'll give you more room to grow. 700-800rwhp can be done on an auto, but if the d1 doesn't get you there, then you'll already be at your limit.

Good luck!
Old 11-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gary98Z
Why don't you try the EPP blower cam? 232/240 115. They made it for blowers and it is supposed to have more of that old school muscle car sound.

Also, if it's going in a vette, why not try the F1A or F1C? It'll give you more room to grow. 700-800rwhp can be done on an auto, but if the d1 doesn't get you there, then you'll already be at your limit.

Good luck!
ill check that cam out, thanks for the info. and do you mean that if the D1 doesnt get me to 700+rwhp then it will already be maxed out?

basically what your saying is go with the F1A or F1C? haha

Originally Posted by someday
from Thunder Racing:

63-54-477-11 Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller 227 / 243 .617/.624 114 LSA, Strong midrange power when used with a centrifugal blower. RPM range from 2200 to 7000.
thanks also for the cam specs and info ill check it out also.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yup. I meant if the D1 doesn't get you to the 700-800 you're looking for. For the 6sp guys it's no problem. It's a little more difficult for us auto guys, especially when you go with a built tranny, which eats even more power.

The f series blowers won't get maxed out as quick on a stroker. They are physically bigger than the d1, but the vette has more blower space to work with than us fbody guys, so that won't be an issue.

Search for the epp blower cam on youtube. There's a gto vid at night with it idling. Sounds mean !!!
Old 11-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Yup. I meant if the D1 doesn't get you to the 700-800 you're looking for. For the 6sp guys it's no problem. It's a little more difficult for us auto guys, especially when you go with a built tranny, which eats even more power.

The f series blowers won't get maxed out as quick on a stroker. They are physically bigger than the d1, but the vette has more blower space to work with than us fbody guys, so that won't be an issue.

Search for the epp blower cam on youtube. There's a gto vid at night with it idling. Sounds mean !!!
i just checked it out from EPP's website, man that cam sounds mean!

oh, about the transmission, is Rossler good? also any rear end or suspension mods i need to handle that amount of power, if ya have any tips for that i would appreciate it.

and another thing, what will i have to upgrade as far as fuel system & things like that to handle the boost also? sorry for the dumb questions but i am just getting into the forced induction stuff. and dont know hardly anything about tranny & rear ends
Old 11-20-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HeavyChevyLover
i just checked it out from EPP's website, man that cam sounds mean!

oh, about the transmission, is Rossler good? also any rear end or suspension mods i need to handle that amount of power, if ya have any tips for that i would appreciate it.

and another thing, what will i have to upgrade as far as fuel system & things like that to handle the boost also? sorry for the dumb questions but i am just getting into the forced induction stuff. and dont know hardly anything about tranny & rear ends
Yes, Rossler is a good tranny company. Give Carl Rossler a call and speak to him about it. However, if you go to the corvette forum website, you will find rpm transmissions is the prevailing tranny company. Rodney, the owner is a nice guy, but most likely you won't be able to talk to him. I have an rpm tranny. It's held up well for about 2years now, but I don't have 800hp either. At that power level, any built 4l60e would still need to be refreshed every so often (depending how hard you are on it). I'd guess the 6l60e would be similar. Rpm may have some sort of rearend upgrade, but I don't remember.

Not sure about the fuel system either, but at least 60lb fuel injectors would be the absolute min and probably some sort of dual intank fuel pump set up as well.

Other than that...check out corvette forum website. There are tons of high hp fi vettes over there and they can give you lots of info. Also give Bob at epp a call for some advice. FI is his specialty!

Last edited by Gary98Z; 11-20-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

At that power level, any built 4l60e would still need to be refreshed every so often (depending how hard you are on it). I'd guess the 6l60e would be similar.
the 6 speed in the new cars is a 6L80, so i'd guess its alot stronger than the old 4L60

Quick Reply: 404ci stroker build