Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Best double roller timing set?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best double roller timing set?

I want a double roller timing chain set for my 1000+ rwhp build (LSX 427, big boost + nitrous). I like the added insurnce of a double chain. I have narrowed down to a few selections and would like to hear yalls opinion.

JP Performance - Rolon double chain, JP Performance Timing Chain Sets are supplied with billet inductioned hardened and multiple keyway crank sprockets (which have the keyways index marked for easier timing) and balanced billet camshaft sprockets and a true roller timing chain. ** Apparently the cam gear is not induction heat treated. ** not sure how much this matters since it's billet already but im sure it's better if it was induction heat treated?

Rollmaster double - seems to be a rebadged JP Performance timing set since i believe they are owned by JP now?

N'motion - same as JP and Rollmaster

Cloyes Hex-A-Just - SAE 1144 Billet Steel gear and sprocket, CNC machined, and then induction hardened to Rc48. The Premium Cloyes TrueŽ Roller chain features superior strength with full roller action. The side plates are made from heat-treated, high strength steel, and the .250” rollers are cold rolled, and hardened to exacting standards. made in the USA. both the cam gear and crank sprocket is billet and both induction hardened. Not sure how the Cloyes chain compares to the Rolon chain that the Jp, Nmotion, and rollmaster come with..

So which one is THE BEST timing set/chain combo that i can buy? My Melling 10296 oil pump has already been clearanced to fit a double roller.. However, i did hear the Cloyes double roller is slightly thicker and harder to fit behind that pump than the other double rollers? What are the hardcore racers running for timing chains? Thanks
Old 11-25-2009, 02:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rollmaster uses the IWIS double roller chain instead of the Rolon. Rollmaster owns JP.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My preference would be the Cloyes.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Like John @ SD says, Rollmaster uses full roller IWIS chain. These are out of Germany and made for Rollmaster.

The crank gears on RM and JP are both induction hardened as it turns at crank speed. They also both have torrington roller thrust bearings supplied to control cam end float.

N-Motion are JP sets with Rolon chains same as the JP's. JP's seem to be sold under a number of different brand names.

And yes JP did acquire and move Rollmaster to a factory near where the GTO and G8's are/were made. The also do repro pistons, oil pumps plus SFI balancers and driveline components mainly for racing use.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

so which one is the best of the best? is having the cam gear induction hardened as well that important? seeing as it's billet already
Old 11-30-2009, 09:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Its not a bad idea. Plus it just sounds cool too!
Old 11-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the reponses guys. Does anybody know how the Cloyes Premium TrueŽ Roller chain compare to the Rolon and the IWIS chain? I heard the Rolon and IWIS chain are very close in quality and performance. So pretty much, even for a 1000+hp application, all the timing sets mentioned above should do fine? Any hardcore racers have any input or preferences?
Old 11-30-2009, 02:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I would rather go with a single roller IRL timing set. No clearancing, no shimming, no worries. Im sure it would handle 1k HP.

Quick Reply: Best double roller timing set?